Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 Jul 2014, 19:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
How to rename the derivative?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
sheepy

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2011, 23:44    Post subject:  How to rename the derivative?
Subject description: How do you rename the Puppy derivative?

I recently customised Puppy to be really clean, slim, and minimalistic: No panel, openbox menu, containing only things I found to be useful, shiki-statler-noire and Mire V2 themes...
Anyway, I can't figure out how to rename the distro so when I log in for the first time and it tells me what I'm using, it doesn't say what it originally is.
I Edited the lupu_525.sfs to add all my changes and whatnot, but how in the world does one go about renaming the actual OS?
gnz11

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 01:02    Post subject: was this a remaster?  

reread and you said you edited the .sfs

you haven't actually changed the .sfs other than by content
which is why it still is called lupu.sfs
you would need to rename it. but not sure if it will work correctly afterward since it isn't a remaster. using the remaster scripts will let you rename the sfs and it will look for that name
gnz11

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 01:08    Post subject: also what you are seeing at startup is the bootsplash  

you can change that.

not sure where it is located but that is a png that is made for every release. so you would just have to find it and make a changed one for yourself
Iguleder

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 02:21    Post subject:  

Extract the SFS with unsquashfs and edit /etc/DISTRO_SPECS. The initramfs (if you don't know what it is, don't read the rest) has a copy of this file too but as far as I remember it doesn't output the distro name.

Just change from "Lucid Puppy" to something else and make sure you don't touch anything besides this. Use mksquashfs to generate a new SFS. There's also a possibility that this won't work, since Barry made Woof append some ID-string at the end of each Puppy SFS.

Anyway ... why don't you use EZ-Woof? I downloaded a copy to play with Smile

ICQ Number 
sheepy

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 12:00    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
Extract the SFS with unsquashfs and edit /etc/DISTRO_SPECS. The initramfs (if you don't know what it is, don't read the rest) has a copy of this file too but as far as I remember it doesn't output the distro name.

Just change from "Lucid Puppy" to something else and make sure you don't touch anything besides this. Use mksquashfs to generate a new SFS. There's also a possibility that this won't work, since Barry made Woof append some ID-string at the end of each Puppy SFS.

Anyway ... why don't you use EZ-Woof? I downloaded a copy to play with Smile

Thank you, but I was speaking of how when you first log in, it will say you're using, say, "RexBang Beta 1" or something, without changing the "Lucid Puppy" in the DISTRO_SPECS file.
sheepy

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 14:06    Post subject:  

Can I just change it by changing /etc/hostname? Does it take a full reboot, because it won't change just by restarting the X server.
sheepy

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 15:44    Post subject:  

sheepy wrote:
Can I just change it by changing /etc/hostname? Does it take a full reboot, because it won't change just by restarting the X server.

Nevermind, it didn't work.
Specifically, I'm trying to change the dialog for the welcome screen thing. Any ideas?
sheepy

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 16:51    Post subject: Figured it out.  

Nevermind, I got it. It was the Firstrun Dialog I was trying to change.

In /usr/bin/, the file "firstrun" has the dialog "Welcome to (distro name)!"

Thanks for trying anyway, guys Smile
lithpr

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 17:10    Post subject:  

Hi!

You mentioned RexBang, in there i actually modified countrywizard.qs to display that name (line 114 in countrywizard.qs).

Also, i would mention, that if you want to change the default timezone, this is what i have added to my build script:

ln -fs /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern squashfs-root/etc/localtime

(i just figured this out after much digging through scripts, then realized it wasn't set in any of them)

Looking forward to seeing what you are working on Smile Also I would love to collaborate with someone if you feel our visions are similar (under any name).
sheepy

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 17:49    Post subject:  

lithpr wrote:
Hi!

You mentioned RexBang, in there i actually modified countrywizard.qs to display that name (line 114 in countrywizard.qs).

Also, i would mention, that if you want to change the default timezone, this is what i have added to my build script:

ln -fs /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern squashfs-root/etc/localtime

(i just figured this out after much digging through scripts, then realized it wasn't set in any of them)

Looking forward to seeing what you are working on Smile Also I would love to collaborate with someone if you feel our visions are similar (under any name).

Thanks Smile
I've always liked Crunchbang, and fell in love when I found RexBang, but I'm one of those extremely minimalistic guys who like to have uncluttered menus through only essential links, and no panels or desktop icons. So, I started editing RexBang to be as described, while adding the CrunchBang themes that were missing. I just finished it, and it's super clean-looking and easy on the eyes.

Here it is, if you want to try it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OXUTGAAI

Last edited by sheepy on Sun 08 May 2011, 18:36; edited 1 time in total
lithpr

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2011, 18:12    Post subject:  

Frugal install, booted with grub2.

Very cool man. I like how you really took the concept "all the way"- looks like the real thing! Very fun. Audacity + The Gimp worked flawlessly in my test run. Also like the way you went with PupControl. I like keeping the ROX-filer drive icons- i find them a handy convenience, and am used to having them there. The only thing i changed was adding the PPM to menu with OBmenu. I'll definitely be keeping this on my harddrive for the Gimp, Audacity, and most importantly- inspiration.

Thanks for sharing!
sheepy

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2011, 18:36    Post subject:  

lithpr wrote:
Frugal install, booted with grub2.

Very cool man. I like how you really took the concept "all the way"- looks like the real thing! Very fun. Audacity + The Gimp worked flawlessly in my test run. Also like the way you went with PupControl. I like keeping the ROX-filer drive icons- i find them a handy convenience, and am used to having them there. The only thing i changed was adding the PPM to menu with OBmenu. I'll definitely be keeping this on my harddrive for the Gimp, Audacity, and most importantly- inspiration.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Smile
You can edit it and change anything you like to be more efficient, and we can work on it together. I'll call it SlimPup.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: