Cloud Puppy - 1.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
greengeek

#91 Post by greengeek »

I was having a look at the offerings from R1Soft (see the ad tab at top right of these murga forum pages) and they offer some sort of cloud services. I'd like to be able to use a cloud based solution for my critical backups - I just don't know exactly what I want, or how to set it up.

I mostly want to work OFF the cloud when I am at home, but it would be nice to have all my work-related files switched to the cloud (or stored in the cloud) so I can access them from anywhere when I am at work.

So much to understand...
So little time...

edoc

#92 Post by edoc »

Here's how I am currently approaching this ... I'm looking for a portable, battery-powered, device as my personal "cloud". It would run Linux and have storage but no input or display - emphasis on small and energy efficient.

The device would have wifi hub features so that I may wirelessly connect to it, and for it to wirelessly connect to a wifi hotspot - or connect to my router at home.

With an OS and apps all loaded I would connect from my smartphone or netbook or laptop via wifi - using an HTML-based "terminal" and always have the same interface, apps, and all of my local data (no need for the added complexity of syncing).

I'm also hoping to be able to tether it to my smartphone for mobile/portable Internet connectivity.

Whether at home or on the road everything would be hosted on my hip (or in a portable box) - I have an Anker Astro3 for portable power.

Most of my larger files would be resident on the Web hosting service, backed up to a home server/storage device, so all of that bulky data would be safe and available as-needed - and not required to be on the portable cloud device. (Rare-use archives on DVDs.)

Am I nuts? WDYT?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Pelo

Cloud is the future

#93 Post by Pelo »

Cloud Puppy does not connect to internet with my Medion P7629.
Atheros modules and iwlagn or iwlwifi dont activate connection.
On the opposite, SNS simple network connection works with my older laptop (2006).
If Cloud is the future please make my newest laptop usable
Grateful to you. Merci beaucoup
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

sszindian

Medion P7629

#94 Post by sszindian »

Pelo:

Question?

Have you been successful connecting your Medion P7629 to the Internet (either Direct hookup or wireless) with any other version of a 'Puppy'? If so which one please?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Pelo

Connecting the Web

#95 Post by Pelo »

All recent puppies connect both ethernet and wireless (i.e Slacko, Racy, precise and all these recently released).
The lucids puppies connected only by ethernet
Series 4 and before neither connect ethernet neither wireless (excepted LHP503 ethernet !)
I agree with you that cloud will be the way of doing soon. Unfortunately no more fun for us. So your Cloud OS must connect internet !
bon dimanche.

PS : works fine with my old Acer Aspire 3000 (2006) driver B43

Pelo

pfkeys=fr

#96 Post by Pelo »

Cloud Os does not want to type french ! Set up freezes the computer on my old laptop. And Cloud OS does not connect the internet on the new one. I am lost. I am going to give up this distro.

sszindian

Cloud

#97 Post by sszindian »

Pelo

Since there are other more-recent puppy programs that work with your new Medion P7629 computer,I would suggest posting the same request & info that you did here over in
'Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)/Drivers' and see if someone there with greater knowledge than I on the subject can point you to the Drivers/possibly Firmware also that you may require to bring Cloud Puppy up to date on Networking.

As you no doubt read in the first post in this forum, 'I am NOT a programmer' but was able to get together with bits and pieces of other puppy distro's Cloud Puppy-01 in hopes some dev here would also see the need of such a distro and take the bull-by-the-horns and develop a wiz-bang Cloud Puppy... so far, that hasen't happened.

If you don't have any luck over in Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff/Drivers' you might just add my little 'Cloud Computing .pet' over at-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192

to one of your more recent puppy distros... It works with all of the newer programs I tested it on and provides a great way to Cloud compute and also have your regular program and all its functions available.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Pelo

Hum ok for the pet

#98 Post by Pelo »

But but cloud puppy as OS is interesting. mini distro. Just change to newer kernel, no ? Racy barebones can be considered as a Cloud Puppy.