(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 26 Jan 2021, 17:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Truly off-topic conversations
The Future of Puppy Linux
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 20 of 37 [553 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
jpeps

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 19:12    Post subject:  

shariebeth wrote:
*sighs*

One last comment and observation and I think a most important one.
In NO way does having suggestions, criticisms, requests, or even complaints mean that we are not grateful Get that through your heads, please, even if nothing else does.

ah..gee....thanx
puppyite

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 19:32    Post subject:  

Q5sys,
I’ve never understood why some people such as yourself are so concerned with this business of Ad hominem. I see no difference between a man attacking me or attacking my ideas. I assume they know what they’re getting themselves into and are prepared for the consequences. In my world provocation equals justification.

puppyite

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 19:41    Post subject:  

About Ductus exemplo: I’m not a candidate for the Puppy Linux Governing Council so this doesn’t apply to me.
Q5sys

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 19:46    Post subject:  

puppyite wrote:
I see no difference between a man attacking me or attacking my ideas.

Wait... what? Are you serious? So in otherwords all your comments against others ideas like Puppy 5.3 being based on Slackware.. the version number... etc. Those are all attacks by you against those individuals?
If an attack against an idea is an attack against the individual (which you just stated)... Then you admit that you are attacking everyone personally.
How is this the action of a mature adult? Guess your HOA must be a very hostile place.

Furthermore YOU are the man who claimed that logic and strategic thinking were your strong points. However you are unable to make a logical argument without relying on what are called 'Logical fallacies'. This is just another example of your error in thinking. You claim to be logical yet argue using falsehoods and fallacious reasoning.

puppyite wrote:
In my world provocation equals justification.

How very un-democratic of you. Sounds like every other totalitarian form of government in its attemp to silence ideas it does not agree with.

At first when I read your posts I thought of the famous line 'a riddle wrapped in an enigma' but now I see its something else.
You are a contradiction wrapped within a contradiction.

Last edited by Q5sys on Sun 22 May 2011, 19:56; edited 1 time in total
jonyo

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 19:47    Post subject:  

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:
I know this forum is leaderless, which I think is good.
how so?
puppyite

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 20:03    Post subject:  

Q5sys,
Attack my ideas and you attack me:

“I have only the power of my convictions to justify my existence.”
G. Carroll, September 19, 2009

I call it integrity and commitment. I do not expect you to understand. Just accept it and move on.

puppyluvr

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 20:16    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Quote:
Now is about the time for AJ to magically appear.

Cool

Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...
jpeps

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 20:19    Post subject:  

jonyo wrote:
Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:
I know this forum is leaderless, which I think is good.
how so?

Provides useful insights into the human condition.
shariebeth

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 21:36    Post subject:  

puppyite wrote:
I don’t pretend to speak other languages. I don’t recommend that others pretend to either.

Like XHTML ? Wink

Last edited by shariebeth on Sun 22 May 2011, 23:02; edited 5 times in total
Q5sys

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 22:06    Post subject:  

puppyite wrote:
Q5sys,
Attack my ideas and you attack me:

“I have only the power of my convictions to justify my existence.”
G. Carroll, September 19, 2009

I call it integrity and commitment. I do not expect you to understand. Just accept it and move on.

And by your very confession of this mindset you admit that you are and have been attacking others personally by attacking their ideas.
Thats not integrity. There is no ethical or moral basis for you attacking others because you dont like their ideas.

With every post that you make yourself see more and more like a teenager who is trying to act like he is older. You continue to contradict yourself, you make admissions that argue against your own actions... Thats typical behavior of a teenager, not someone who is a mature adult.

I'm not attacking you. If you want to feel I am... fine. I dont care. I'm just pointing out how YOUR OWN WORDS contradict and disagree with your own actions. When you're own words can be used to defeat your arguments, you cant claim 'conviction', 'logic', or 'strategic thinking'.

What you show by contradicting your own words are a mentality of "I say and mean whatever the hell I want at the moment, and those words apply to everyone except me." as well; you have the attitude of "I'm Right, Everyone Else is Wrong."
Thats not the attitude or actions of a man of integrity.

- You said you have no need to justify your actions to anyone... yet want others to justify their actions to you.
- You said that the process in this forum should be a democratic process... yet you refuse to even acknowledge suggestions on how you run your puppylinuxfaq site.
- You said that by attacking your ideas we are attacking you... yet you continually attack others ideas, and thus by your own admission; them personally. But you've taken it futher than that by openly attacking them personally.
- You've said that you are a man of logic and strategic thinking... yet continue to argue using logical fallacies and fallacious reasoning.
- You said that you do not want to be in charge... yet you want to impose your ideology on us.
- You claim to have integrity... yet when someone uses your own words against you, you in turn attack them personally completely ignoring the fact that you argued yourself into a corner.
- You say you want a democratic process where everyone can give input... yet as soon as your thread gets out of your control you want it closed so no one else can have any input.

There's a quick list of 7 major contradictions you've made in the last 3 threads that you've turned (or created) into a dramafest.
This is not me arguing against your ideas. Hell I dont need too. You end up arguing against your own ideas. You just refuse to see your contradictions. You refuse to reply when anyone points out a contradiction. You are like a small child who covers his eyes and says 'you cant see me'. The fact is... we can see that you refuse to comment and instead hide behind little quips like "provocation equals justification".
And why would you comment... you've made it pretty obviously that you 'dont need to justify yourself'. So you will go on, continuing to contradict yourself and making personal attacks... while somehow believing you have the moral high ground and we are the delusional ones. That's some fantasy world you live in... or some very powerful drugs.

You say that "I have only the power of my convictions to justify my existence." The sad part is that you dont have that power. Because you cant justify anything without contradicting something else you've said or done.
jrb

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 22:31    Post subject: Future of Puppy?  

We're Not Here For A
Long Time (We're Here For A Good Time) Cool
jonyo

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 23:10    Post subject:  

hey q5 what is your fixation with puppyite????

he mumbles a few words and you end up babbling about it
reckrhodes

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 23:33    Post subject:  

because puppyite and the likes does not care about our feelings here. sorry guys i am emotional here. Crying or Very sad
Last edited by reckrhodes on Sun 22 May 2011, 23:34; edited 1 time in total
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 23:33    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
The only thing "sacred" about Puppy's size is that it tied to its support for older hardware that doesn't have the RAM to allow loading a full CD into memory to run! The "number" was, and has always been, related to the capacity of the hardware to let Puppy to run in modest RAM. There is still a lot of usable hardware out there that has 512Mb or less, and that's Puppy's niche. You don't like the niche? Go invent your own Puppy; reprise Fat Dog if you must. Just stop insisting that official Puppy meet your expectations in some mythological war between the various OS.

What I'd like to see (or identify the appropriate version) is one that runs pretty well on 128MB. I booted one machine with 64MB, but it was painful -- marginally functional once up, and a swap file was installed (I actually had more RAM than that to install, but was testing how small for booting). The doesn't need to be the main version, but rather a nice stripped down Retro version (I should note that I haven't fully tested ttuuxxx's 2.14 Top 7 -- and haven't tried it on such a machine yet).

Historically, Win98 would run pretty well in 128 MB, if you weren't doing anything too fancy. For email and browsing it was pretty good.

Puppy is just a little more memory intensive, and for similar performance, I think it needs at least 256 MB, and probably more like 512 MB... A little lower memory requirements, and many more machines could be well supported... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011, 23:48    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy wrote:
What I'd like to see (or identify the appropriate version) is one that runs pretty well on 128MB. I booted one machine with 64MB, but it was painful -- marginally functional once up, and a swap file was installed (I actually had more RAM than that to install, but was testing how small for booting). The doesn't need to be the main version, but rather a nice stripped down Retro version (I should note that I haven't fully tested ttuuxxx's 2.14 Top 7 -- and haven't tried it on such a machine yet).

Historically, Win98 would run pretty well in 128 MB, if you weren't doing anything too fancy. For email and browsing it was pretty good.

Puppy is just a little more memory intensive, and for similar performance, I think it needs at least 256 MB, and probably more like 512 MB... A little lower memory requirements, and many more machines could be well supported... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The original reprise of 2.14 ... namely 2.14R by Dougal et al ... was such a beast. It may even have been the basis of ttuuxxx's 2.14xx reprise. Either way that and 2.17.1 should run nicely in 128Mb. That was the version I used to put on refurbushed P1 and PII machines for charity way back when. We almost never had 256Mb to play with and our average was 96Mb. You would always need a swap partition with 64Mb and below, even back to 2.01 IIRC.

Page 20 of 37 [553 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Truly off-topic conversations
Jump to: