Where to learn about BACON programming?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
naena

#1 Post by naena »

I have read somewhere about BACON programming for Puppy.

There is program I have that has a JavaScript program. I want to convert this into a program and add it to Puppy. Does anyone know where I could find the documentation and syntax of BACON?

Thanks.

naena

#2 Post by naena »

What am I saying there?

I meant to say that there is a web page I wrote with a JavaScript program and that I want to make it into a regular program to place inside Puppy.

technosaurus

#3 Post by technosaurus »

why not just make a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications that uses the defaultbrowser to run it
ex. modify an existing .desktop file with:
Exec=defaultbrowser file:///pathto/yourapp.htm

no real need for BACON
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

maxerro

#4 Post by maxerro »

http://basic-converter.org/documentation.html
http://basic-converter.org/hugdoc.html

You should consider technosaurus's solution though... or you'd rather have a standalone application?

L18L

Re: Where to learn about BACON programming?

#5 Post by L18L »

naena wrote:What am I saying there?

I meant to say that there is a web page I wrote with a JavaScript program and that I want to make it into a regular program to place inside Puppy.
Though technosaurus' comment "no real need for BACON" might fit here is some additional info for BaCon in puppy:

- http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48901
- Search bacon in Barry's blog

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

naena

Bacon

#7 Post by naena »

Thank you great K9s.

I'll try the suggestions and report back. (It's Sunday here and that's when I get time for my Puppy).

roope00

#8 Post by roope00 »

This looks very interesting.

naena

#9 Post by naena »

Singhala Help File:
===============
I took technosaurus's advice on placing an icon for the special help file on the desktop.

Then on both the right-click menu and the start menu, I have a Help group that has the regular help file and the Singhala help file. The problem is to preserve them.

'fixmenus' destroys both of them and Reboot and Restart X Server reverts the start menu (fbpanel).

I manually synchronize /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc, /etc/xdg/templates/_root_icewm_menu, /root/.config/openbox/menu.xml and /root/.confog/fbpanel/default. The icewm and jwm templates do not get changed, and actually, they have no effect on the menus whatever items they have.

It is obvious that the Restart X Server and fixmenus routines are flawed. I do not know how to fix them.

I think the following two temporary fixes would take care of the anomaly, just in my case:

1. Append a script to the Restart X Server routine that does the following:
step 1: replace /root/.confog/fbpanel/default file with saved menu definition
step 2: run the command, killall -usr1 fbpanel

2. Append a script to the 'fixmenus' routine as follows:
step 1: replace /root/.confog/fbpanel/default file with saved menu definition
step 2: replace /root/.config/openbox/menu.xml file with saved menu definition
step 3: run Restart X Server routine

I am a dangerous newbie that started with Puppy (only Linux I know) just mid last April. I realize that there must be lot of complications to attempt changing the existing routines. That is why I suggest the temporary bandages.

I have no clue on how to do this. Any help, please...

maxerro

#10 Post by maxerro »

naena wrote:I took technosaurus's advice on placing an icon for the special help file on the desktop.
naena, his advice was basically this:

Go to /usr/share/applications/ directory.
Create a new file named 'naena.desktop'
The contents of the file should be something like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=naena's app
Type=Application
Exec=naena_bin
Icon=naena_pic.png
Terminal=false
Categories=TextEditor

Where 'naena's app' would be the title shown in the menu, naena_bin the name of your executable (or in this case invoking a help file), and naena_pic.png the name of the icon placed in the /usr/share/pixmaps/ directory. You can place it in any directory - but then you have to include the whole path and filename.

The TextEditor category is chosen if you want it to be in the first level of the Document submenu.

Then run 'fixmenus' and 'jwm -restart' or you can restart the X server if you like.

naena

#11 Post by naena »

maxerro,

Thank you and I appreciate it. I already did it. It is already taken care of. I like to do things in a ways, if possible, through understanding what actually happens in the background. Technosaurus gave me the clue. So I looked how the Help icon was setup and set my one exactly the same way, and it worked.

In that process, I found that the files in the /etc/xdg/templates folder do not seem to serve the purpose that they are made for (as I imagined). I could very well be wrong because I am only just weeks since started to use *any* Linux OS at all.

One of the files define the menu and the other associate icons to files. Both have no effect on my system. I have not been able to reach anybody with a deeper level of understanding of the system to appreciate this matter so that it could be resolved for everybody.

BACON programming (the title of this issue) is entirely for another purpose. I have a JavaScript program that I want to convert to a program for installation on Puppy. That would take awhile as I need to learn a bit more on that subject.

Your interest in directing me to a solution is gratefully appreciated.

I think we can call this issue closed.

L18L

#12 Post by L18L »

naena wrote:I think we can call this issue closed.
It is not closed by thinking to call.
Append [SOLVED] to the subject, please. :)

naena

[SOLVED] found the answer

#13 Post by naena »

L18L,

Thank you, Ma'am / Sir.

I also found why those things I said don't seem to have a purpose. My Windows Manager is OpenBox. (Though I do not know how that came to be).

Pardon me for my ignorance.