Difference Between Puppy & Ubuntu

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Bernie_by_the_Sea

#31 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

nooby wrote: Your menu.lst is on the ntfs but we have to establish where is the OS that you boot up on? The same ntfs partition or another linux partition like ext2 or ext3 or Reiferts or something else?
My systems are scattered all over the place on 7 or 8 different partitions but two of them, both older versions of Knoppix are on that same ntsf partition as the menu.lst.
nooby wrote: Sure I could move both menu.lst and gldr to (hd0,1) then most likely I could do as you would be able to do if I pay you :)
Yes, but you would feel better knowing that you had paid to have it done right. :)
nooby wrote: Archiso is this one by Godane
http://godane.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/ ... 4-release/
Since I'm on dialup I have a friend with a fast connection download larger things to a flash drive for me. It may be a couple of days before I can pick it up but I'll get it.
nooby wrote: I will test it using Knoppix Adriane maybe that one are like puppy an exception to the norm too. Slitaz as I remember did not even allow me to ever see the (hd0,2) at all. But maybe I have to give it another try now when I know how sure you are that everything is possible if one are the dreaded root guy.
Since you're Scandinavian you must know the Tale of Yggdrasil whose Root reaches through all time and space. Ubuntu is a tiny twig on that tree but everything is possible for Root.

nooby

#32 Post by nooby »

I have to trust you on your words but you do have experience of when it does not work. And I trust that is why it did not work for me. My set up most likely think it is a CDROM live distro and as you know those are a bit different in how they treat the CD most of the time. Puppy can write to it and Knoppix lately has added this due to requests from users?

Anyway Godane seems to have concentrated on Slitaz instead. His latest laptop having not enough memory for making bigger things?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#33 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

sheepy wrote: Yes, but you act as though Ubuntu lacks power or something. You said it was inferior in the Linux world. It's very simple to change the environment and make it just as lightweight as Puppy. The buntu family has more compatibility than any other distro.
I said nothing about any lack of power. All Linux kernels have essentially the same power. I said nothing about lightweight. Lightweight is usually a disadvantage.

It is not correct that Ubuntu has more compatibility than any other distro.
sheepy wrote: In my opinion, Ubuntu is for those who need to get things done that would otherwise have to be one with Windoze. Most other distros lack apps for specific tasks that not everyone would have to do. That's where Ubuntu comes in.
Debian now comes on five or six DVD's. How many DVD's does it take to hold Ubuntu? Name one specific task Ubuntu can do that Knoppix can't do... or that Puppy can't do.

There is no Linux distro that can do everything Windows can do. The drivers and apps just don't exist.

sheepy

#34 Post by sheepy »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:
sheepy wrote: Yes, but you act as though Ubuntu lacks power or something. You said it was inferior in the Linux world. It's very simple to change the environment and make it just as lightweight as Puppy. The buntu family has more compatibility than any other distro.
I said nothing about any lack of power. All Linux kernels have essentially the same power. I said nothing about lightweight. Lightweight is usually a disadvantage.

It is not correct that Ubuntu has more compatibility than any other distro.
sheepy wrote: In my opinion, Ubuntu is for those who need to get things done that would otherwise have to be one with Windoze. Most other distros lack apps for specific tasks that not everyone would have to do. That's where Ubuntu comes in.
Debian now comes on five or six DVD's. How many DVD's does it take to hold Ubuntu? Name one specific task Ubuntu can do that Knoppix can't do... or that Puppy can't do.

There is no Linux distro that can do everything Windows can do. The drivers and apps just don't exist.

Try running compiz effects in Puppy.
Try running a heavily DirectX-dependent 3D game in Wine on Knoppix or Puppy. Chances are, it will work half as often as it will in Ubuntu. I have gotten Aion, Shaiya, Talisman, both Left 4 Dead's, Black Ops, (I hate that game, btw) and Star Wars: Force Unleashed to all work flawlessly under Wine in Ubuntu. I've only had one or two 3D games fail to run under Wine in Ubuntu, while other distros never even have one work.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#35 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

sheepy wrote: Try running compiz effects in Puppy.
Try running a heavily DirectX-dependent 3D game in Wine on Knoppix or Puppy. Chances are, it will work half as often as it will in Ubuntu. I have gotten Aion, Shaiya, Talisman, both Left 4 Dead's, Black Ops, (I hate that game, btw) and Star Wars: Force Unleashed to all work flawlessly under Wine in Ubuntu. I've only had one or two 3D games fail to run under Wine in Ubuntu, while other distros never even have one work.
Well, I don't do games. I dislike Wine strongly and only use it for four minor programs in a sandbox-like compartment. I certainly don't do Direct-X which is one of the most dangerous components of Windows. So I have no personal experience with any of these.

The very existence of Wine proves the superiority of Windows. However, having said that, Wine is Wine. The same version of Wine should work exactly the same in Ubuntu, Knoppix and Puppy. According to the Wine developers there is no difference in how Wine works in various distros.

I find it more than curious that you would attempt to demonstrate the superiority of a Linux distro by how well it runs Windows programs. Odd. This is exactly the same as saying Ubuntu is better because it can run Microsoft Office under Wine better than any other distro.

Running compiz effects? Compiz with compiz effects is installed by default in Knoppix so I looked at it and played with it a bit. Not impressed. As far as Puppy goes, this is a matter of comparing a 120GB distro to a 650GB distro. I know my graphics card/driver can handle compiz with effects but this is a relatively large install for Puppy, at least 22MB and probably more. This is about a two-hour download for me on dialup so I don’t think it’s worth my time and effort to install it just to demonstrate how easy it is. I can’t see that I would ever have any use for it. However, I am certain that compiz effects can be run on Puppy as others have done it in the past.

nooby

#36 Post by nooby »

from the link in the first post.

Puppy Disctinctives

Puppy Linux is a distribution to use on older computers, or to run from a CD or USB. The whole system is usually about 85MB, which is small for an operating system. As a result, Puppy Linux usually boots quickly. Many users choose Puppy Linux for this speed and for the tools that come standard on a Puppy system image that can be burned and booted from CD. Puppy is a good choice for older hardware, too. Because it's so small, you can easily install it onto an older hard drive. It takes up less space and operates smoothly.
Wary most likely try to be for older computers.
Puppeee is for the Asus eeeepc netbook types.
Fluppy and Snowpup works good on an Acer Netbook.
Quirky is for Barry to experiment with new ideas.
Lupu short for Lucid Puppy make use of the Ubuntu repo
and works best on rather modern computers but not on the Acer D250 due to that one only having Atom N270 so I needed to add nosmp to the kernel line for Lupu to boot consistently each time instead of one out of ten when it was at the worst but it cleared up in the end so it booted 9 out of 10 times so I still use the nosmp just in case.

Puppy is seldom as small as that text says. Lupu try to be less than 128 targetting computers with 256MB RAM memories?

666philb

#37 Post by 666philb »

sheepy wrote:

Try running compiz effects in Puppy.
the compiz_xfce4-4.6.2-Lucid.pet works fine on my lupu525, spinning cube,wobbly windows etc....
and i've had dragonage origins, stalker shadow of chenobyl, eufloria, working well in wine.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#38 Post by Lobster »

Read this from Paul on Distrowatch
Ubuntu gets cursed for changing its default desktop from Gnome to Unity and many users threaten to jump ship. Yet, this week, Puppy announces that the maintainer of Puppy Lucid gets to take a break and that will end the Ubuntu connection. It will be up to the next maintainer to select a package base for Puppy 5.3. Where is the outrage for this announcement?

Yes, Ubuntu made a major change for Natty. I tried it and still use Lucid. I also used Puppy in the past, keeping it for a liveCD distro. But, every time I download the latest version of Puppy, it is very different from the last version. Puppy gets a pass on criticism for its many changes. Why?

I guess it is because Puppy has such a small following and Ubuntu has become the Linux version of MIcrosoft. It made the mistake of being successful.

Paul
Good that Puppy is being compared. :)

Puppy used to undergo radical changes every 6 weeks.
Tsk tsk - the audacity of being radical . . .

Now it takes a little longer . . .
At the moment I am using Dejans revised and updated Dpup
- we seem to have lost the talented guy known as Guy Posil.

At the moment I have Windows on my system
- just never use it. Another partition has Ubuntu
- again rarely used. Use what works guys.

Larry is updating Lucid, many are creating, starting and implementing eg Spup, Icepup, Wary, Solidpup
Even complete forks such as Calf from Igu
http://www.iguleder.info/

Yep we are still frisky! :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

37fleetwood

#39 Post by 37fleetwood »

got a kick out of reading this thread, I started with Linux years ago with Red Hat. I went back to Windows for several years as Linux wasn't terribly easy to use in 2001.
I found Puppy in 2007 and used it off and on for a year or two when I decided that Linux had finally advanced enough to be used full time. I searched and played with all the distros I could find and it actually came down to Puppy and Ubuntu as the front runners.
both distros have very distinct advantages and both have a few disadvantages. because I mainly like to get things done and have gone past wanting to tweak an os all the time I went with Ubuntu as my full time distro and occasionally play with Puppy. Gnome as a de is hard to beat, Nautilus over Rox was a no brainer. I bought my computer components with Ubuntu in mind and have not had any real problems. upgrades have gone flawlessly and on a fairly decent computer Ubuntu is still way faster and more nimble than Windows. sure it's slower than Puppy but isn't that to be expected?
I think it's funny how we tend to form camps around our favorites and can be a bit unfair in our criticism of the opposing camp, but really both Puppy and Ubuntu are amazing in what they offer and I tend to like to think of myself as in the anti-Windows camp.
I know some will take exception to what I have said but I suppose you have your computer and I have mine and both options are open to each of us. enjoy your computer as you like it. me, I like Gnome with compiz and lots of eye candy and all the heavy apps. :lol:
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

nooby

#40 Post by nooby »

Lobster reminded me that Iguleder work on his Calf Linux.

"Even complete forks such as Calf from Igu
http://www.iguleder.info/
So sure I will test that one too when there is an iso to download.

mickee
Location: Saskatoon SK Canada, Gateway 5300 Laptop, 600MHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, lucid puppy 5.2 (Full Install)

#41 Post by mickee »

nooby wrote:Lupu short for Lucid Puppy make use of the Ubuntu repo
and works best on rather modern computers...
I use Lupu 5.20 on my 12 year old 600MHz Celeron, with 384MB Ram with no issues
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/The_Wizard_of_OZ/Lindows-NOT-1.jpg[/img]
Linux is [i][b]NOT[/b][/i] Windows. Doesn't [i][b]PRETEND[/b][/i] to be, Doesn't [i][b]WANT [/b][/i]to be; Don't try to [i][b]MAKE[/b][/i] it be.

mickee
Location: Saskatoon SK Canada, Gateway 5300 Laptop, 600MHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, lucid puppy 5.2 (Full Install)

#42 Post by mickee »

37fleetwood wrote:I think it's funny how we tend to form camps around our favorites and can be a bit unfair in our criticism of the opposing camp, but really both Puppy and Ubuntu are amazing in what they offer and I tend to like to think of myself as in the anti-Windows camp.
37fleetwood. I am with you. I was looking for an alternate to Win7, and chose ubuntu. I was looking for an up to date OS for my old laptop and went with puppy, and am not disappointed. My partner uses my Win7 and I use ubuntu/puppy. (No time to teach him linux, LOL!)

Haven't tried Natty or Ocelot, and I think i will wait for a release that doesn't use Unity.. or can that be removed/disabled?
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/The_Wizard_of_OZ/Lindows-NOT-1.jpg[/img]
Linux is [i][b]NOT[/b][/i] Windows. Doesn't [i][b]PRETEND[/b][/i] to be, Doesn't [i][b]WANT [/b][/i]to be; Don't try to [i][b]MAKE[/b][/i] it be.

Aitch

#43 Post by Aitch »

For those poor confused souls fooled by all the FUD/Further Confusion about Puppy being 'derived from *buntu'....here's the GNU/Linux timeline showing the origins and derivatives of just about every Linux to date
[There are a few omissions in the Puppy derivatives (52 has been quoted recently) and where's TXZ_PUP 4.5 - Joe, is it a Pup derivative or a Slackware derivative...either way, it's not up there!!]

NOWHERE IS PUPPY A *BUNTU (OR ANY OTHER OS) DERIVATIVE!!

http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uplo ... dt1104.png

It's effin huge so I didn't make the link active :wink:

Aitch :)

37fleetwood

#44 Post by 37fleetwood »

mickee wrote:Haven't tried Natty or Ocelot, and I think i will wait for a release that doesn't use Unity.. or can that be removed/disabled?
I downloaded 11.04 and have played with it. Unity is a bit different but not terrible. you can log out and log back in with regular old Gnome like always.
it defaults to Gnome if your video card isn't up to it.
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

37fleetwood

#45 Post by 37fleetwood »

Aitch wrote:For those poor confused souls fooled by all the FUD/Further Confusion about Puppy being 'derived from *buntu'....here's the GNU/Linux timeline showing the origins and derivatives of just about every Linux to date
[There are a few omissions in the Puppy derivatives (52 has been quoted recently) and where's TXZ_PUP 4.5 - Joe, is it a Pup derivative or a Slackware derivative...either way, it's not up there!!]

NOWHERE IS PUPPY A *BUNTU (OR ANY OTHER OS) DERIVATIVE!!

http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uplo ... dt1104.png

It's effin huge so I didn't make the link active :wink:

Aitch :)
I think some (if not all) of the confusion is caused by people not understanding the what it means that some puppies use Ubuntu Binaries. maybe someone better qualified than I am should explain what that means.
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

bugman

#46 Post by bugman »

Lobster wrote:Puppy used to undergo radical changes every 6 weeks.
Tsk tsk - the audacity of being radical . . .

Now it takes a little longer . . .
Yep we are still frisky! :D
i'm sorry to say this is one of the reasons i went to debian

an update every 1 or 2 years is often enough for me

years of win98 must have left me with some deep well of patience . . .

[deXter]

But isn't Puppy now based on Ubuntu?

#47 Post by [deXter] »

Hi all,

Coming back to Puppy after a few years away as I want to install it on my netbook. Now I keep reading that Puppy is "built against" Ubuntu and therefore it's binary compatible with it. Now I'm not sure exactly what it means as an end user:

- Can I run and install .deb files?
- Can I add an Ubuntu repository?
- Can I install the latest Ubuntu mainline kernel and/or other drivers/modules?
- Can I get apt-get onto Puppy?
- Are *all* Puppy derivatives based on Ubuntu now? If not, which ones aren't?

I'll be grateful if someone could provide the above details. Thanks for your time!

l2ulinux

Difference Between Puppy & Ubuntu

#48 Post by l2ulinux »

The reason I started this was because I read a review on PUPPY. Almost the first thing from the reviewer was how he compared PUPPY against UBUNTU. How if you are doing a review you discuss the good and bad of a release of Linux. To start with you can download Lupu-5.25 in 15 minutes are less about 130 MB. Natty around 700 MB, and there about hour plus to download.

I can download Puppy burn a LiveCD and load it up and the other still downloading. Time from start of download to running OS 30 minutes are less. Puppy is written and compiled to be a small platform. All programs do not always work perfect and the desktop look is not the finest, but again it was build that way. I use a 8 year old system to one that is two months old. I can run almost every release of Puppy 2.14 top 7 to Lupu-5.25. I find some work better than others on all my system. The total is 9 differ systems with each a differ CPU.

Myself I use Puppy, Debian, LinuxMint Debian and sometime Win7. Believe it are not I almost went to Ubuntu Natty until they went the way of Unity. Again I can run Debian on all my systems

Never found a Linux release I hated. Just SOME I LOVE and some I just like.

sheepy

#49 Post by sheepy »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:
sheepy wrote: Try running compiz effects in Puppy.
Well, I don't do games. I dislike Wine strongly and only use it for four minor programs in a sandbox-like compartment. I certainly don't do Direct-X which is one of the most dangerous components of Windows. So I have no personal experience with any of these.

The very existence of Wine proves the superiority of Windows. However, having said that, Wine is Wine. The same version of Wine should work exactly the same in Ubuntu, Knoppix and Puppy. According to the Wine developers there is no difference in how Wine works in various distros.

I find it more than curious that you would attempt to demonstrate the superiority of a Linux distro by how well it runs Windows programs. Odd. This is exactly the same as saying Ubuntu is better because it can run Microsoft Office under Wine better than any other distro.

Running compiz effects? Compiz with compiz effects is installed by default in Knoppix so I looked at it and played with it a bit. Not impressed. As far as Puppy goes, this is a matter of comparing a 120GB distro to a 650GB distro. I know my graphics card/driver can handle compiz with effects but this is a relatively large install for Puppy, at least 22MB and probably more. This is about a two-hour download for me on dialup so I don’t think it’s worth my time and effort to install it just to demonstrate how easy it is. I can’t see that I would ever have any use for it. However, I am certain that compiz effects can be run on Puppy as others have done it in the past.
>Doesn't do gaming
>no experience with it
>Uses dialup
problem exposed, rofl

Also, Wine on Puppy has a very old version of DX and has trouble with some 3d games.
And the fact that you just called Windows superior to Linux completely negates the legitimacy of anything you could possibly say. The only reason why we have Wine is because 90% of computers are Windows, so all the software is made for it.
Also -- going back to Ubuntu vs Puppy -- Puppy appears to only support up to 3gb of ram, and 4 processor cores.

How can you possibly speak so highly of Winblows, yet be all like, "hurr durrr, DirectX is gayy, derrpppp." How hypocritical.

It appears that you hate Ubuntu because it's popular and there are a lot of newfags who give other Linux users a bad name. I'll agree with you there, but it's utterly idiotic to say that Ubuntu is the worst Linux distro, or anywhere near the bottom of the barrel.
Stop being a hipster.
Last edited by sheepy on Mon 23 May 2011, 14:42, edited 2 times in total.

sheepy

#50 Post by sheepy »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:Debian now comes on five or six DVD's. How many DVD's does it take to hold Ubuntu? Name one specific task Ubuntu can do that Knoppix can't do... or that Puppy can't do.
Okay, what the f***. You advocate Debian's huge .iso file, then bash on Ubuntu because it's small, but then say these other -- even smaller -- distros [puppy] can do everything either one of them can do.

You're making obvious contradictions. You're a troll, and a good one, I might add. Either you're trolling, or just lacking a significant portion of your brain.
Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:Ubuntu is certainly not the most commonly used Linux distro.
Troll. Detected.
Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:There is no Linux distro that can do everything Windows can do. The drivers and apps just don't exist.
I have never failed to get a Windows app to run under Linux in either Wine or a VM.

Most importantly, you keep saying all Linux distros are the same and can all do the same thing, so by that logic, what makes Ubuntu so inferior? It should be the same as the rest, remember? Despite the fact that it's frequently updated, and tasks that would normally take hours in other distros can be done in seconds on Ubuntu.