pUPnGO cannot access USB flash drive

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
FurryHead

pUPnGO cannot access USB flash drive

#1 Post by FurryHead »

Hello! I'm having trouble with pUPnGO. I cannot mount my fat32 usb flash drive, and I cannot understand why.

I can mount/access it from any other operating system installed on my computer except pUPnGO.

I am sure that /dev/sdb1 is the proper device, as /dev/sda1 is my hard disk. I have also tried mounting /dev/sdb, just in case I had screwed up the formatting of the disk last time I reformatted it.

I have also tried mounting /dev/hda1, just in case it's recognizing my flash drive as hda1,to no avail.

The exact error I am getting is as follows:

Code: Select all

# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
mount: /dev/sdb1 is not a valid block device
#
IIRC, pUPnGO is supposed to mount all disks automatically on bootup. This seems to be paralell with the fact that a sdb1 folder appeared in /mnt... Yet it is empty.

Since pUPnGO allows you to trim out the unused drivers from the zdrv_412.sfs package, I figured maybe I had inadvertantly removed the usb driver - this is not the case, as I replaced the zdrv package with the full driver one and it's still not working.

Sorry if this is lengthy, I just can't think of anything else that could be going wrong. Thanks for the help!

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

You know more about CLI and Terminal and Console and Urxvt and such than I do. :)

I am thinking about this old machine you got. You describe it in another thread as

"I've been searching for EXTREMELY minimal puppy derivatives, as my machines are as follows:
Laptop:
300MHz processor
256MB RAM
12GB IDE HDD "

May I guess that is from 2003 or so my Laptop from 2004 had 30GB HDD and 512 or maybe 250 not sure anymore and it had trouble with same Puppy as you have. pupngo is based on 412 and it worked better for me with puppy431 then the older versions.

Have you got the usb to work with TinyCore? So you can mount same usb using TCL then?

Sometimes there is a rare conflict having todo with how the usb flash is organized internally. 128 or 512 or 256 bytes chunks and they have a name for it. It is a rather famous thing that happen but rather rarely. Could that be what happens to you?

I would give a hint in the pupngo that you don't want to derail that thread with specific question maybe that just happen to your laptop and ask if they can take a look at these two threads you have. Goingnuts and Technosaurus and so on that are caring about pupngo maybe not notice these thread by chance?

Should it work only using sdb1

Sometimes booting really need Label or UUID to boot. Puppy get help from such codes like this

pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=snowpup5sfs

So you maybe need pmedia=usbflash pdev1=sdb1 psubdir=pupngo

But sometimes one do need UUID one can ask for it through blkid in terminal and it list all the attached drives. Test it
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

FurryHead

#3 Post by FurryHead »

Indeed, I can mount the drive from TinyCoreLinux (also from windows, but that's unrelated - I think)

Actually, my laptop is manufactured in 1998. Still works, though - that's all that matters IMO.

running 'blkid' from the terminal (Xvesa does not run on my hardware; I have yet to install Xfbdev or Xorg) does not even list my flash drive.

I don't know if I am misunderstanding you, or vice versa, but I am not booting pUPnGO from the usb - it just has files that I need to grab (manpages, code files, etc)

For the time being, I'll just boot into TinyCoreLinux or Windows and copy the files to my hard drive - luckily, I can still access THAT - LOL.

Thanks for the help, and I hope someone knows why the flash drive is not being recognized!

goingnuts

#4 Post by goingnuts »

Hi FurryHead
What version of pUPnGO are you testing?
Whats the output of "fdisk -l" after boot? My usb-stick with FAT32 reports as /dev/sdh1...
If your device is not mentioned it might be a driver issue or maybe udev issue?
pUPnGO is experimental and not everything works as expected...
Thanks for trying it and I hope you get your usb recognized!

FurryHead

#5 Post by FurryHead »

goingnuts, wow. I was just now getting on to post on your pUPnGO thread, haha!

I'm using version 200810.

The output of `fdisk -l` only lists my hard drive as /dev/sda1 - it's somewhat pointless to paste the rest, as there are no other drives there. (Especially since I do no yet know how to copy/paste at a TTY)

I thought about it being a driver issue, but after 'trimming' down the drivers was when I tested the USB, and when it did not work I tried replacing the 'trimmed' zdrv with the original 'full' one. (and rebooted.) it didn't seem to fix it.

I wouldn't worry too much about me; not many people use a 13 year old computer for software development :p

Thanks, goingnuts! It's still a great building-blocks OS, even if some things don't work (for me).

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

(Especially since I do no yet know how to copy/paste at a TTY)

I can not teach you but try this

When in urxvt or Terminal or Console or whatever name you want to use TTY?

Then mark it be moving the cursor and holding down the left click on the Mouse. Then click on the wheel that placed the marked area in a memory then go to the editor or this thing I am writing in now. The white space on a forum :) Then click on the wheel again and it paste in.

Sometimes in the Terminal/Console/TTY it place an extra copy when one hit the wheel. If you have a mouse without a wheel you have to find a round about thing hitting both left and right click simultaneously something. Not easy at all :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though