Can we fix python in Lucid Puppy?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
lithpr

Can we fix python in Lucid Puppy?

#1 Post by lithpr »

Hi!

Every time i try to install python packages from the PPM in Lucid, i find that there are problems- sys.path not including the path where new files are installed, among others. Is it just me? Is there anyone with python experience who understands the source of python's major malfunction on Lucid? I keep fixing this on an ad hoc basis, but i really would like a once-and-for-all solution... or I'd even settle for a basic understanding of where the issues lie, and i'd be willing to put in time on the actual solution.

Alternatively, how do *you* install python-based apps on Lucid?

DPUP5520

#2 Post by DPUP5520 »

is there something wrong with the python-2.6-lucid.pet in the repo cause i've never had a problem with it?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

alexandrion

#3 Post by alexandrion »

i haven't experienced any problems with it neither

i made this using the 2.6 pet file
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67394

WindUpToy

#4 Post by WindUpToy »

I had no end of problems with Puppy's Python (3 different flavours of them) including one .sfs.

Master_wrong included one in his latest Bluetooth development package which works perfectly.

Maybe you could persuade him to make it available separately.
(the Bluetooth testing pkg is 40MB).
It's not easy being incompetent.

lithpr

#5 Post by lithpr »

Thanks WindUpToy, i'll check it out!

Yeah, i haven't had a problem developing with python, i've had problems installing external python packages. Guess it's unique to me, I'll just have to keep overcoming :)

Luluc

#6 Post by Luluc »

I always had countless problems with Python apps when I used Slackware. Packages would never work, they would always complain about the lack of something. Then I would provide something, but my something was not the same version as the something the package wanted, and the package refused my something even though my something was a newer version. Then I would install an older something, but then the package would complain about something else, which was the wrong version. Then I would downgrade something else to an older version of something else and that app would not complain anymore, but it would still not work for some other reason, and some other Python app would no longer work, because it really required the newer version of something else to work. So I would give up on Slackware packages and install the app from source, but then the app installed from source would not accept my something, neither something else and would still complain about the lack of many more things. For each one of the many more things I tried to provide, I would go through that grief all over again about problems with something, something else and many more things.

Then I moved to Ubuntu and finally saw some of those apps work, because someone expert in something, something else and many more things managed to package those apps in a way that made them work, but there were still a few apps that would not work, some complaining about problems with that other thing, which I never had the enthusiasm to investigate. I just concluded that Python is an immense pile of shit, not surprising from a blockhead who makes code indentation compulsory, so I just steer clear of those apps and go on with my life peacefully.

lithpr

#7 Post by lithpr »

Yeah, that's my problem: i never had a problem using python based apps in Ubuntu, and i've grown too accustomed to assuming they're going to "just work" :) Oh Ubuntu, stop making everything look so easy :)