Anyone using Apple Airport wireless dialup with Puppy?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mortlocl

Anyone using Apple Airport wireless dialup with Puppy?

#1 Post by mortlocl »

Has anyone tried setting up an apple airport so puppy has wireless access to the builtin dialup modem. (I know this is a long shot.) Its the first airport - the one that looks like a flying saurcer.
mortlocl

dvw86

Re: apple airport

#2 Post by dvw86 »

mortlocl wrote:Has anyone tried setting up an apple airport so puppy has wireless access to the builtin dialup modem. (I know this is a long shot.) Its the first airport - the one that looks like a flying saurcer.
I used to have one of those. You shouldn't have any trouble getting Puppy on the wireless network since it is just standard 802.11b. The trick would be getting the Airport to dial out on command. If you have a Macintosh on the network you could use it to tell the Airport to dial your ISP. Once the Airport is connected to your ISP, all computers on your network would have acess to the internet. If I remember right, there was a free Java based application that ran on Windows and Macs that would trigger the Airport to dial out. If you could find the application, it should run on Puppy once Java was installed. It's been a long time since I've used it though so I have no idea of where to find it.

mortlocl

using a Psion instead of a Mac

#3 Post by mortlocl »

Thanks for that info, man.

I don't have a Mac but I have two Psions that can make the dialup work.
Puppy finds the network ok it seems but not the modem. I'll see if I can get puppy to hook up to the modem once it's working as you suggest.
mortlocl