How To Use Less Space In Your Lupusave file

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
alexandrion

How To Use Less Space In Your Lupusave file

#1 Post by alexandrion »

I'm sure i'm not the only one with this problem.
Here's what happened
i remastered my puppy so that my installed programs will not be in the lupusave file but in the main sfs
when prompted to select a save file size, i thought i'd make everything faster by selecting a smaller file size so i went for 512 instead of the usual 1024
i run thunderbird / tuxguitar and other programs that i don't use a million times a day from outside the system to make puppy faster by not have it load all that crap
so i load chromium, do my browsing, eventually set up thunderbird and before long i noticed puppy was complaining it had no more room to save files.
the thunderbird and chromium (well, mostly thunderbird) cache filled up my whole lupusave

how to avoid this problem?
create symbolic links outside of puppy

the best place to save them is in the partition where the save file is (since that partition will always be mounted)

first close whatever programs you want the cache to be saved outside of puppy
in my case thunderbird and chromium
then create folders where you want your cache to be
in my case /mnt/home/temp_files/cache/chromium and /mnt/home/temp_files/thunderbird for thunderbird
now copy all data from one folder to the other
next up is deleting the folders from the lupusave file
in my case
for chromium
rm -rf /root/.cache/chromium
for thunderbird
rm -rf /root/.thunderbird
then create symbolic links from the folders outside of the partition to them
in my case
for chromium
ln -s /mnt/home/temp_files/cache/chromium/ /root/.cache/chromium
for thunderbird
ln -s /mnt/home/temp_files/thunderbird/ /root/.thunderbird

now whenever the system wants to save files in those folders it will actually save in the folder outside of the system

now i have some good news and some bad news

the good news is that the cache files will be saved outside of the puppy partition, therefor leaving you with more space in the lupusave file

the bad news, of course, is that the cache files will be saved outside of the puppy partition, which means that programs using those cache files will load the cache content a little bit slower and they can be accessed from outside of puppy

is it worth it?
you decide

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I tell SeaMonkey to put its cache in /tmp so it is not saved at all. I've done this for years. As far as I can tell, it has caused no problems.