Report and feedback on Puppy system use

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

Report and feedback on Puppy system use

#1 Post by gcmartin »

(This may not be the correct topic area. If it's not, please move where it will best serve the community)

This thread is opened to look for a Puppy standardized method for providing useful feedback to Distro developers.

Over several years many have used various desktop tools to provide feedback when a Puppy distro is booted for use. This helps the distro owners as they can readily see key information on platforms that the distros ar running on. And, they use feedback in efforts to tweak their distro to meet demand and proper operation.

But, the feedback, tools, and presentation of information from users/testors/members is not consistent.

2 distro managers this year have provided this community with tools for gathering information from your system in a format that can be uploaded for use.

The 2 tools I am aware of is Pdiag (by JamesBond) and Sys-Info (by Tazoc). They each, gather information and present it for distro developers to review when needed.

In looking over these, I think several things are key, currently, as Puppy continues to expand:
  • Discussion of what are the information needs of distro developers?
  • Standardization of a delivery (tool) for providing that information for distro developers use
  • A user report summary area, by distro, that maybe shares the following tabular information for review by users and distros, alike
    • Distro-version/release
    • Username/Forum Post Link
    • Processor(s)
    • RAM
    • Video Adapter(s) info
    • Audio Adapter(s) info
    • LAN Adapter(s) info
This "user report summary area", separate from the information uploaded to Forum Distro Thread via some standardize tool, would allow anyone to see which distros are running specific platforms. Thus, anyone can see which distros are running on which PC platforms as its an indicator of whether they can expect same. Obviously, there would need to be tool available to the developers for extracting the table's information from the reports provided by the users.

I realize I've said a lot on Standardize tool for reporting, and location to review what runs with which distros.

The intent of all this is to make the distro developers and supporter job easier and to reduce the thought process for users/testors to provide feedback on the distros they are using. A Win-Win for all Puppiers

Question to all reading this
What do you feel should be taken into account when providing information that would be of the most help to distro developers and distro users.?

Edited: Network adapter suggestion added.
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 19:49, edited 3 times in total.

russoodle

#2 Post by russoodle »

Would network adapter info be useful?
(wireless/ethernet/dialup/3g, since the options are expanding all the time)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]