Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Jul 2014, 14:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
spup-121.02 pre-alpha3 based on 13.37
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 34 of 38 [567 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 Next
Jim1911

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun 2011, 14:04    Post subject:
Subject description: re Libreoffice 3.4

Hi 01micko,

Your "Get Libreoffice and install Libreoffice" program worked perfectly to prepare and install stable version 3.4. It is working great, printing is also fine, I haven't observed the problems with this one as reported previously.

Thanks for keeping this up-to-date, I know that you are shooting at a moving target since they keep updating it. Incidentally, the unstable versions listed as available don't appear to be the latest.

Cheers,
Jim
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun 2011, 14:42    Post subject:  

wuwei wrote:
Just confirming mikesir's last post and repeating my own earlier observation:

Copying or moving to a NTFS partition generates an error/failed message in ROX, but the operation is properly executed.

(This is now 121.02 I am writing from)
I can confirm this issue.
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Brown Mouse

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun 2011, 17:15    Post subject:  

Yeah but....why am I the only one seeing these freezups?It's bothering me a tad Confused
Think I'll do a fresh install and see if that fixes it.
cowboy

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun 2011, 23:22    Post subject: firefox profiles
Subject description: pick up on other thread

Bert and Beem,

Thank you for your responses about the browser issue. I notice that wuwei has been doing some new posting on my original thread about the symlink issue, and I think I'll reply over there, to preserve this thread for Spup.

Beem - that's correct, I've tried both relative and absolute symlinks to the firefox profile, and both work on initial setup, but then fail on the first reboot.

-cowboy.

Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun 2011, 01:24    Post subject: spup-121.02 pre-alpha3 based on 13.37
Subject description: newest vlc sfs file

I made an sfs file of vlc-1.1.10, it is large at 44mb but it contains
the qt473 libs that vlc needs to run.
Maybe boot the live cd with pfix=ram use SFS-Load-on-the-fiy to test
the vlc-1.1.10 sfs to see if it'll work for you, it works for me.
The download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-edc9833f.html
wuwei

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun 2011, 02:29    Post subject:  

Sorry Billtoo,

this SFS doesn't work on this setup:

Lucid525 LiveCD plus USB-Flashdrive for the existing pupsavefile.

Downloaded the SFS, moved it to /mnt/home on the flash drive, tied it in with SFS-on-the-fly .... it didn't start.
Rebooted and tried again, from the menu, from the .desktop symbol in /usr/share/applications, by moving a videofile on the starter symbol...nothing moves.

Next will be a test with pfix=ram and a brand new lupusave file.
That is no better.

But hey, this is the spup thread, so I'll try it there.

Okay, now on a frugal install to HDD of spup121.02:
Pull in the SFS by means of SFS-on-the-fly.
Menu entry established; call the application through the menu
Error screen shows up, see picture.
But the player works,
both when opening a video file through the menu item File and when dragging a video file on the VLC gui.

So, looks pretty good, except for the error window. But that could be my setup.

(Sorry for my initial stupidity Embarassed )
vlc.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   117.95 KB
 Viewed   617 Time(s)

vlc.jpg

wuwei

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun 2011, 03:02    Post subject:  

Now I have experimented a little further.

Dragged the starter from /usr/share/applications to the desktop and assigned an icon.

When I start VLC now from the desktop, there is no error message anymore. Same when pulling a video file to the desktop icon.

Works perfectly in contrast to my mind this early in the morning Idea
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun 2011, 16:51    Post subject: xorgconfigauto-1.pet Solves AtiRadeon Xorg problem (mostly)
Subject description: Wifi Settings not persistent

Hi All,
Deleted old SaveFile and rebooted. OTTB, display was 1600x900 using Ati Radeon. Per 01micko's instructions,
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=528768#528768
deleted /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/xorg-auto, installed xorgconfigauto-1.pet and rebooted. Boot stopped short of desktop, but typing xwin brought me to it with above, proper, display. Changed time-zone without incident. Established internet via Simple Network Setup and accessed Youtube which played with sound, albeit had to add appropriate sliders and increase volume to satisfy these old ears.
Rebooted. Again boot stopped before desktop which was reached by typing xwin. Proper display had survived. Wifi setting, however, had not been saved.

My system:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
Resolution: 1600x900 pixels
VGA compatible controller: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics
Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

Is there someway now to get to desktop without having to type "xwin"?
Edit: Solved. Finally remembered to delete "nox" argument from Menu.lst.

I'll review thread regarding non-persistence of Wifi settings, but suggestions are welcome.
Edit: On Reboot, last Wifi settings had been retained.

Before trying the xorgconfigauto-1.pet I meandered over to the Squeeze thread to review developments there. That reminded me that others and myself were having display problems that Stu90 had examined:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=525233#525233 and posted,
"Hi tuuxxx,
regarding the xorgwizard:
In woof i swapped squeezed xorg_base package for lucid525 xorg_base package and i am now able to get to the desktop with xorgwizard / probe with out getting dropped back to prompt or having to select a driver.

Here is both xorg_base packages in case you want to compare.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/gbr7pdt0p10lldb/xorg_base.tar.gz

In American Jurisprudence, one of the reasons for disqualifying a potential juror is that he or she has any relevant knowledge about what's going on. On that basis, I'm qualified to guess that there may be a problem with the most recent Woof. Someone who knows what he or she is doing may find it useful to also compare Slacko's xorg base package with those Stu90 has provided.

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:59; edited 1 time in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun 2011, 19:15    Post subject: Working with Large image in Gimp SFS caused hang
Subject description: Seamlessly got onto desktop

Hi All again,

Booted into Slacko. Just realized that I got onto desktop without having to type "xwin." Decided to work on a Wallpaper, so I used SFS-on-the-fly (or whatever it's called, as I'm currently in Lupu) to load Gimp_2.6.11.sfs. As I'm not that familiar with "SFS-on-the-fly" I'm not certain whether the SFS failed to load the first time, or I did something wrong, but the second time it loaded. In Gimp I resized a Wallpaper to 1600x1200 intending to cut it down to 1600x900, (my screen size) via copy & paste, and then make changes. My computer hung when 2nd large file was created. Note I have 3+ Gigs of memory, 6 Gig Swap partition and a 512 SaveFile.

As I had to do a hard shut down, literally pull the plug, being uncertain what effect that will have, I'm reporting from Lupu525. I'll report the effect once I'm back in Slacko.

Edit: Booted back into Slacko. Booting stopped before desktop. Typed "xwin" and received the "Ignore" or "Commandline" option. Chose the latter, typed "Xorgwizard" "Chose" Ati Radeon @ 1600x900x24, got a black screen and moments later a "No Signal." Rebooted, same as above except this time selected "ignore" --What did I have to loose?-- and reached desktop per previous settings of 1600x900x24. But my wireless settings were no longer in effect and had to re-run Simple Network Setup.

Maybe, at the beginning of this post, I misrecollected not having to type "xwin"?
Edit: I must have misrecollected, as I later discovered that the "nox" argument still existed in Menu.lst.

mikesLr

p.s. I could not add mtpaintsnapshot to JWM's tray. I don't think this is a Slacko problem, as I've also been unable to add it to some other recent puplets (a woof problem?) while I could, and did, add PupSnap to the tray.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:02; edited 1 time in total
playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:42    Post subject:  

Qt Interest Group.

Just an idea. People interested in Qt programs----that is VLC, Musescore, Amarok/Clementine, and others--might want to consider ahead of time and coordinate a policy for using Qt. I mention this because there are several versions of Qt in play now--the VLC 1.1.5 for Lucid uses 4.5.3, Musescore uses 4.7.3, Clementine uses 4.7.2, and so forth. In at least one case there is an incompatibility--Musescore and Clementine conflict and both will not run at the same time (discovered by jim1911). This is no huge deal--since the programs are all add-ons and it is too late to fix it much in lucid but a policy might prevent it happening in Spup.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Another darn idea.

I just answered a message from a person who was worried about "investing in the wrong Puppy" meaning, in the past 4.3.1 was clearly the one official Puppy--now it is different. Plus, there are worries when updating the something could go wrong and crater one's data.

This is a big project--not simple--but maybe worth discussing: a separate save file for data. Currently the modifications one makes to Puppy, by adding pets, etc., and one's data are kept in the same save file--and it is the one that is updated with a new Puppy. But if there was separate save file for data then one could boot any Puppy and work on that same data, and upgrading any Puppy would not touch the save file with one's data in it. One can do something similar now by keeping data in /mnt/home--but I am thinking less experienced users might not understand that and it might be better to do it automatically. Barry would have to do this in the scripts--I am not even sure about the details.

Last edited by playdayz on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 16:05; edited 1 time in total
cowboy

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun 2011, 13:41    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Another darn idea.

I just answered a message from a person who was worried about "investing in the wrong Puppy" meaning, in the past 4.3.1 was clearly the one official Puppy--now it is different. Plus, there are worries when updating the something could go wrong and crater one's data

[b]a separate sfs file for data...if there was separate sfs for data then one could boot any Puppy and work on that same data, and upgrading any Puppy would not touch the sfs file with one's data in it. One can do something similar now by keeping data in /mnt/home--but I am thinking less experienced users might not understand that

sounds like two great ideas.

emil

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun 2011, 15:37    Post subject:  

I think pets go into the personal savefile together with the personal data, and the savefile is not an sfs but a file formatted to ext2 or ext3 (uncompressed). Having seperated programm and data savefiles (maybe also separate settings savefile - e.g. screensavers) would add additional layers to the filesystem.

The max amount of layers was very restricted with standard puppy due to performance considerations. An additional "savefile layer" could mean skipping one possible "sfs file layer".
However experience with recent developement weakend this barrier (various different sfs loaders. I didn't test those myself, I just try to recall what I read on the forum). Performance seems to be acceptable even with increasing numbers of layers in the filesystem.

Advantage of shared user-data savefile:
    less diskspace needed if running different puppies.
    Changes in the data are visible from all other puppies.
    Data is very portable because encapsuled in one file.

Disadvantage:
    Maybe small performance loss in filesystem.
    Complicate the very simple puppy setup.

A simpler suggestion would be to write a small gui script which allows to mount 2fs/3fs (aka savefiles) and copy the contents of its /root/mydocuments directory over to the running puppy. Not an obvious option for new puppy users.

please correct or ignore me if I am plain wrong or off-topic... Wink
kind regards
emil
playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun 2011, 16:03    Post subject:  

Quote:
I think pets go into the personal savefile together with the personal data, and the savefile is not an sfs but a file formatted to ext2 or ext3 (uncompressed).

Yes emil, Thank you. I was thinking too fast. I corrected it by changing 'sfs' file to 'save' file.

it occurs to me that traditional Linux achieved something of the same with the Home directory--that would often be placed on a separate partition so the main Linux could be updated without touching the Home directory(s).
DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun 2011, 16:36    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
I think pets go into the personal savefile together with the personal data, and the savefile is not an sfs but a file formatted to ext2 or ext3 (uncompressed).

Yes emil, Thank you. I was thinking too fast. I corrected it by changing 'sfs' file to 'save' file.

it occurs to me that traditional Linux achieved something of the same with the Home directory--that would often be placed on a separate partition so the main Linux could be updated without touching the Home directory(s).

Can Puppy be made to install such that it creates a normal folder, say, my-documents, at mnt/home, symlinked back to /root/. The advantages of this are dynamic size, and uncompressed data if the system fails, making retrieval easier. This is how I do it anyway, just have to set it up by hand. Such a folder is of course easily shared.

cowboy

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun 2011, 18:17    Post subject: outside the file  

DaveS wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Quote:

Can Puppy be made to install such that it creates a normal folder, say, my-documents, at mnt/home, symlinked back to /root/. The advantages of this are dynamic size, and uncompressed data if the system fails, making retrieval easier. This is how I do it anyway, just have to set it up by hand. Such a folder is of course easily shared.

again, both DaveS and Playdayz are on to something here. And I still think it's great - but with one minor quibble. One of the cool things about Puppy is the savefile. Back it up, and you are backed up. For a newbie, perhaps installing Puppy on a Windows machine for the first time, having that separate save file is a comfort. And we've all seen many posts on the beginners forum along the lines of "how many home folders am I supposed to be seeing...etc?".

There is no doubt that having data outside the savefile has many benefits, and it might be an excellent option to provide. As a default? dunno. Personally, it was part of my Linux learning curve - savefile; savefile getting too full; oh, I can put things outside the savefile (thanks DaveS and mikeslr). In a world of video files and giant .raw photo files, you'll have to make that transition at some point.

Page 34 of 38 [567 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: