Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 13:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Remastering Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 so it boots to the desktop
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2011, 14:23    Post_subject:  Remastering Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 so it boots to the desktop  

Remastering Lucid Puppy 5.2.5

This is also in LupuNews Help. http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index4.html

Because of the way booting to the desktop was implemented, it is necessary to change 3 files before remastering *if* you want your remaster to boot to the desktop. Otherwise, the remaster first boot will be to xorgwizard. Anyway, all you need to do is download this pet and install it and then remaster--don't reboot in between. There is also some explanation of what is happening, but if you install the pet you do not need to do anything else.

Remaster_Lucid525.pet -> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/Remaster_Lucid525.pet

Here is what the pet basically does.

1. rename /usr/sbin/xorgwizard to /usr/sbin/xorg-setup
2. copy the attached xorgwizard into /usr/sbin. ( right-click -> Save As) http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/xorgwizard If you do this manually you also need to change the permissions on /usr/sbin/xorgwizard (Right-click -> Permissions -> Yes.)

What is happening is that on first boot, the attached xorgwizard runs and Lucid boots to the desktop, then it renames xorg-setup to xorgwizard so that users can subsequently run the traditional xorgwizard. Sneaky, huh?

3. You also need to change the permissions on /root/Startup/fullstart. You could do that during the remastering process when it gives you a chance to adjust files in /root. The way I do it is to right-click and choose Permissions.

So if the name fullstart turns green that means the permissions are correct for it to run on first boot.

Remember, if you install the pet, you do not need to do anything else.

Edited_time_total
antiloquax

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:11    Post_subject:  

This is a good post - I was wondering how to do this. I have been making a remastered Lupu for a programming club at school and it would be nice if it went straight to the desktop (and didn't ask for information about language and time). I added the pkeys=uk prefix, but your idea is very helpful for bypassin Xorg wizard.
mark

gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan 2012, 14:23    Post_subject: Proper Use  

2 Questions
  1. Should this PET be included in Puppy (all versions)? Or
  2. is it included already (thus only need is to simply change the root file's extension)?
Although I haven't done this in the past, it appears that its, maybe, a replacement for the current Menu>Setup>Remaster .... (Hope I got this right)

Thanks in advance

shadower_sc

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan 2012, 15:42    Post_subject: Remastering Lucid Puppy 5.2.5  

It looks like this pet is in addition to the Current Remaster Script in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5. This pet makes it so you don't have to setup your Monitor Resolution, etc. It boots directly to the Desktop.
shadower_sc

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:16    Post_subject: Tested and works on Lucid Puppy 5.2.8  

I love it. Smile

One Great side effect of the magic that happens using his system is you get a generic resolution.

Lupu 5.28 has issues with the built-in radeon graphics on my old kiosk machine. When I run xorgwizard it comes out like I am looking through a REALLY dirty fish tank.

Using his workaround for xorg I get the highest resolution my monitor supports and it looks good.

Now I don't have to bang my head agains the wall trying to figure out something I just want to work.
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb 2012, 23:24    Post_subject:  

Has anybody tried this with Wary?
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum