Can I get OpenShot & Kdenlive on one USB stick?

Booting, installing, newbie
Perry Nium

Can I get OpenShot & Kdenlive on one USB stick?

#1 Post by Perry Nium »

I'm a little overwhelmed trying to understand all this, but it seems like Puppy might be a great way for us frustrated WIndows would-be video editors (there are no great free NLEs on Windows) to get going with a USB stick containing what seems to be the two best (most actively developed) Open Source video editors - OpenShot & Kdenlive?

I would want to load up my camera footage into Windows for some conversion and VirtualDub processing, then reboot with the Puppy-stick and work on the video. Is there any prospect of being able to access the Windows disk partitions, or would I have to copy my clips onto my Linux Mint partition first, before loading up the pup?

Am I right in saying I can......

a) download lupu-501.iso from http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ppy-5.0.1/ (and the md5 checksum of course, and verify it).....

b) from Windows, use LiLi 2.5 ( http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/downloads.html ) to create a USB stick of Puppy....

c) boot up with that USB stick, enjoy Puppy...... then.....

d) if I can get both OpenShot and Kdenlive working (a big if!)..... use the Remaster option to create another ISO file.... which can be used to create as many USB sticks as required (by me and any others) which will have OpenShot and Kdenlive there ready?

That sounds excellent, if possible.... please say it's so :lol:

Thanks..... very interested to hear what's possible - with the lack of good free NLEs in Windows there would be a fair bit of interest I reckon, in a good USB stick Linux-powered video editing solution 8)

aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46036
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=75
seems you have most of the answer already.
copying/duplicating the pupsave file onto each new usb would suffice.
if you want to remaster that is your choice.

Perry Nium

#3 Post by Perry Nium »

Thanks for the links... fascinating, yet terrifying, stuff! Looks like I've a lot of studying to do... unless someone else does it all first and makes it easy for this newb.. :D

l0wt3ch

#4 Post by l0wt3ch »

I think there's somebody on the forum who has a pet made for Kdenlive. Maybe if you use the search feature you can find the thread. If it works, then all you have to do is install the two pets, use Puppy's remaster feature, and you're done. :)

I personally much prefer Kdenlive to Openshot, but I don't include it because I don't want all of the required KDE dependencies. It shouldn't be an issue for you, though. Good luck!

Perry Nium

#5 Post by Perry Nium »

Thanks, it's certainly a lot to get my head around.
There are PET packages, and saved .sfs file approaches to consider, and then last night I read a review of Puppy 5 which said it can use standard Ubuntu repositories, so maybe that's the easiest way to run these?
I've yet to figure out why I'd want to "remaster" as opposed to saving the state of Puppy on my machine with an sfs file?
It's good to have choices, I guess! :lol:

Perry Nium

#7 Post by Perry Nium »

Thanks!

That thread 57450 looks interesting - would that work OK with the lupu-501.iso I'm running?
Cheers 8)

aarf

#8 Post by aarf »

Perry Nium wrote:Thanks!

That thread 57450 looks interesting - would that work OK with the lupu-501.iso I'm running?
Cheers 8)
try it and see. if it only works in quirky120, install that too.

Perry Nium

#9 Post by Perry Nium »

OK.... I'll have to work out what quirky120 is first :lol:

Perry Nium

#10 Post by Perry Nium »

I've come back to the Pup after many months... thought I'd give 5.25 a try. I got it up and running at work on a 2GB stick, using LiLi 2.7 (Windows).

The USB key works on my home machine with different screen rez, so no worries there.

I'm delighted to see the latest OpenShot 1.3 is available easily, so I'll try that tomorrow. Now all I need is Kdenlive 0.8 :D

Cheers