Having trouble booting hard drive full installation of Wary

Booting, installing, newbie
Marrea

#16 Post by Marrea »

Many thanks Bernie_by_the_Sea for the information regarding grub4dos. It sounds interesting. I may well give it a whirl sometime.

What I'm trying to sort out at the moment is how to install the proprietary nvidia driver for my FX 5200 card. I need the nvidia 173 version for that but Puppy's package manager shows only 195, 256, 260 and 71 versions. I assume I will have to download the 173 version from the nvidia site and install manually, but I have no idea where to get the correct kernel source/headers for Wary 5.0 from - and I imagine gcc as well.

The reason I want the nvidia driver rather than nv is because I am having to use 1024x768 at the moment, which doesn't look very good. I can set my monitor's correct resolution of 1440x900 but unfortunately I can't then use the middle mouse button to scroll in Sea Monkey (nor can I drag the slider bar at the right hand side) and after a short while things lock up. So I have had to revert to 1024x768. I think the correct nvidia driver might fix this problem.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#17 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Marrea wrote: What I'm trying to sort out at the moment is how to install the proprietary nvidia driver for my FX 5200 card. I need the nvidia 173 version for that but Puppy's package manager shows only 195, 256, 260 and 71 versions. I assume I will have to download the 173 version from the nvidia site and install manually, but I have no idea where to get the correct kernel source/headers for Wary 5.0 from - and I imagine gcc as well.
NVIDIA-173.14.20-k2.6.30.5-1.pet that is specific for Wary 5.0 is available for download here:

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/catdude/nvidia/

The user name is puppy and the password is linux.

Marrea

#18 Post by Marrea »

Many thanks for the link. I downloaded the file and installed it but unfortunately X wouldn't start. As Puppy recommended I ran xorgwizard but still no X, so I have simply reverted to the nv driver and 1024x768. (I even tried running nvidia-xconfig but that didn't work either.)

CatDude

#19 Post by CatDude »

Hi

@ Bernie_by_the_Sea
Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:NVIDIA-173.14.20-k2.6.30.5-1.pet that is specific for Wary 5.0 is available for download here:
:shock: No no no,
sorry mate, but that is the wrong kernel version for Wary-500

@ Marrea
Please try this one: The usual Username/Password combo required.

I have just built that one in a frugal install of Wary-500 k2.6.31.14
and tested it myself (as you can see from my sig, i also have an FX5200),
it installed without any problem whatsoever.

Just install it, and accept the defaults (unless you want to have it setup for compiz),
when it has finished installing, simply restart the X server.

You will then find a menu entry here: System > NVIDIA X Server Settings

Hope this helps
CatDude

P.S
You can check what kernel version you have by opening a terminal/console
and entering the following command:

Code: Select all

uname -a
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Marrea

#20 Post by Marrea »

Hi CatDude

Many thanks for this. It's a bit late this evening to start on this but I will have a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Marrea

Bruce B

#21 Post by Bruce B »

Marrea,

I appreciate your detailed replies.

I found it interesting how you implement the boot sectors.

I do the same thing, only I use Grub's chainloader command like this:

chainloader /msdos.bin

Bruce

~

Marrea

#22 Post by Marrea »

CatDude
Thank you very much indeed. I am pleased to report that I was successful with this. It works perfectly. :)

(Being so new to Puppy I am still having some difficulty knowing where to look for files like this. :roll:)

Marrea

#23 Post by Marrea »

Bruce B wrote: I found it interesting how you implement the boot sectors.

I do the same thing, only I use Grub's chainloader command like this:

chainloader /msdos.bin
Booting is a fascinating subject in its own right, isn't it? All these different methods that people use. I suppose there is a tendency to find one which works and stick to it, a bit like I have done, but I have tried to get my head round Grub 2 and understand it better because that seems to be the way forward now.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#24 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Marrea wrote: CatDude
Thank you very much indeed. I am pleased to report that I was successful with this. It works perfectly. :)
Excellent.

I tried CatDude's pet last night but it didn't work for me. NVidia-settings doesn't do anything chosen from the menu and gives a segmentation fault run from a terminal. Nvidia-xconfig writes a brand new pristine xconfig file with no settings. Restarting or rebooting doesn't help -- still no nvidia. If I choose nvidia in xorgwizard then X won't start.

I use 173.14.28 in PCLOS, 173.14.20 in Puppy 431 and 173.14.25 in Lucid 520 so 173 is the right driver for my card. (In XP I use 175.19 that has far more options than any nVidia Linux driver.) Oddly the only nVidia driver that works in Wary for me is 71.86.14 and it shouldn't work at all. See attachment.

I’ve added over a hundred pet, deb and rpm packages to Wary and made over 300 tweaks. The result is a Wary unlike anyone else’s (obviously). What works for others rarely works for me but I’ve invested well over a hundred hours making those tweaks and I don’t want to lose them. A Puppy with only a few modifications creates conflicts that it can’t handle or even report. With something like this where my version of Wary can’t handle what everyone else’s can, I have no idea where to begin to look for a conflict. CatDude’s pet does work for me in a new install of Wary, but that’s no solution to anything. While Puppy supporters often point out how easily Puppy can be customized, they seldom point out that the inherent limitations of a customized version. I wish now I had started with Puppy 431 but I'm not going to spend hundreds of hours getting it to where I have Wary now. The moral of this story is don't make a lot of changes in Puppy until you're sure you want to use that version for a long, long time. My pupsave file that takes up only half of a 512MB space is not compatible backwards (to 431) or sideways (to Lucid 520-525) or forward (to Wary 511) so don't believe the sermons about how easy Puppy is to update.
Attachments
nvidia_setup_153.jpg
(175.76 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

#25 Post by 106498 »

Marrea wrote:Booting is a fascinating subject in its own right, isn't it? All these different methods that people use. I suppose there is a tendency to find one which works and stick to it, a bit like I have done, but I have tried to get my head round Grub 2 and understand it better because that seems to be the way forward now.
Not for puppy it isn't! Grub4dos seems to be a continuation of the "old" grub, with some more modern features. Grub2 relies on a "host" operating system to maintain the beast. You can't edit the menu.lst file directly, it will be overwritten the next time you boot the "host" system. That would mean I would have to boot into Ubuntu every time I wanted to install a new puppy frugally. And If I deleted Ubuntu I'd have to re-install. Just because it's new and Ubuntu likes it doesn't mean we have to like / use it!!
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!