:D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Tman

#32 Post by Tman »

I have an uncle, who owned his own business's. I found his business tactics to be rather greedy and cut-throat. But over the years, he became more involved in Buddhism and has given rather large portions of his money to family members, temples and to charity. Some people do evolve for the better; I can't say if that is the case for Bill, cause I don't know him well enough, but I like to think so.

Btw, The last post was very funny.

disciple

#33 Post by disciple »

Tman wrote:Most of the new features that impress me ( aerosnap, aeroshake, transparency, taskbar thumbnails, gadgets ..etc ) involve extra bling/extra processing power so if you don't have a modern computer, than those things may slow the system down to unbearable levels.
Oh, I was hoping there were some useful features I'm missing :(
Yes, I do enjoy the fact that at home I can run machines more than a decade old quite happily. But I would never run Windows there anyway - I run it on recent, high spec machines at work, so what annoys me most are things like removed or broken features, and all the extra clicks they keep adding to be able to do things.
But what about average Joe who doesn't have very much technical, knowledge, who just wants to surf the net, watch movies and play video games?
Ah, now you have a point. If I wanted to go and buy the latest video games, I don't think I would bother with Linux :)
Although in this part of the world it seems like everyone uses a gaming console now, anyway...
have you ever tried renaming and rearranging the items of the main menu in puppy? Can you honestly tell me that it is easier to do in Puppy than in Windows?
No, you're right, that is quicker and easier in Windows. But I didn't think the average person would want to rearrange it - everything is in nice logical categories. There certainly isn't the mess that you get on Windows.
those are my opinions and you are entitled to yours.
As are you, of course. And in spite of what some people would like, on this forum you are allowed to express them, even if we all know they're wrong ;)
It is interesting; thinking about it, I guess there's a big section of computer users whose perspective I don't actually have a clue about. They would be considered by some to be very computer literate - a lot of them are my age, they've grown up on the web, they know their way around the surface of certain software, they're used to finding the program typically used for something, and playing around with Windows to make it work. These people use the computer for entertainment - games and youtube and social media.
I tend to see two quite different perspectives:
1) people who would be considered computer illiterate. They just want to do simple tasks - they don't want to have to find and install software or drivers, or mess around to make something work, and they are scared and/or confused when the computer asks them half a dozen times if they are sure they want to do something. Puppy is generally ideal for these people, but if they need to do certain less common things they would probably be better off with a mainstream distro.
2) people who have work to do and just want to use the computer to get the job done. They want to be able to do things quickly and efficiently, they don't want the operating system to get in the way, and they don't want to spend hours trying to work around problems. Puppy might be best for these people in terms of everyday use, but there are times when they need to do something unusual, which will be easier with a mainstream distro where all the standard software is available straight away, either in the default install, or in the package manager.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

backi

#34 Post by backi »

I´ m not quite shure where to post this information. So I do it here.

Today I have seen in DISTROWATCH some comments about economic crisis and if this maybe will give Linux in future some advantage over MS Windows.
Please read for your own.

There was a comment from a guy " Linux in Africa (by Atle on 2011-08-01 10:37:23 GMT from France)" which I like to cite here.

3 • Linux in Africa (by Atle on 2011-08-01 10:37:23 GMT from France)

"Dear readers. After spending more than 2 years in various African countries, I can for sure tell you why it does not succeed. Its as simple or stupid as this:

There is no money to collect. Nothing to be stolen. No government kickbacks, no 10% percent commission to the government people. So the public sector, as well as the private, will only deal with MS, that has off course specialized into offering the 10 or 20 percent commission on all sales. Microsoft main sales partner in Tanzania was awarded something like “Partner of the Year

disciple

#35 Post by disciple »

I'm surprised you didn't post that in its own separate thread - it might make for quite an interesting thread.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

eztuxer

#36 Post by eztuxer »

bignono1 wrote:Is nancy reagan Nancy Reagan?
Off Course she is !

But she is too shy to admit it, and pretend her Name is Astrid something, and lives in Holland. :oops:
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

RJARRRPCGP

#37 Post by RJARRRPCGP »

backi wrote: followed by Slitaz Live DVD
WTF? SliTaz is smaller than Puppy!

darkcity

#38 Post by darkcity »

Africa has stolen studio4

aarf

#39 Post by aarf »

What town in inner mongolia is the home of ubuntu?

russoodle

#40 Post by russoodle »

edited because post is no longer relevant..
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

disciple

#41 Post by disciple »

Interesting those posts were removed. They didn't seem much worse to me than the mercury ones :)
The person had a good point. This thread is certainly not related to a Puppy project. It should be under completely off-topic conversations.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

russoodle

#42 Post by russoodle »

disciple wrote:<snip>
The person had a good point. This thread is certainly not related to a Puppy project. It should be under completely off-topic conversations.
I'm with you on that, disciple.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]