Reborn Puppy v0.44

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
puppyiso

#76 Post by puppyiso »

I was told that the reason for this forum is to beta test derivatives.

So, here goes my report;

1) to begin with, the annoying messages such as network setup, language setting show up everytime I boot. I understand that this is th e feature of 525 series. OK let's forget about it.

2) It can't find eth0 connection, hence no internet.(later I solved this problem by using other setup option)

3) can't use anything other than English. And it's not lupu's problem since other lupu based all worked fine with other languages. Abiword wasn't even installed and downloaded version never got along with any language other than English. You have to announce it as an English only version or not Asian language friendly version.

4) Before I install Abi, there was abi help menu which turn out to be same as chronium browser. In other words, the menu got mixed up.

5) Other drives are not mountabl except the home directory. It didn't recogize any other drives, making root only or home drive only system.

When I clicked on the mount menu, it just disappeared and nothing mounted. If it wants to keep the screen clean. why not add automounted drives in the right click menu?

6) Before version 04, the resolution was unacceptable. I am using my PC with TV connected.

7) Overall. long way to go.

John

alexandrion

#77 Post by alexandrion »

puppyiso wrote:I was told that the reason for this forum is to beta test derivatives.

So, here goes my report;

1) to begin with, the annoying messages such as network setup, language setting show up everytime I boot. I understand that this is th e feature of 525 series. OK let's forget about it.
well, i guess i remove that dialog but if i do all those setttings won't be saved, so the time will be all messed up
puppyiso wrote: 2) It can't find eth0 connection, hence no internet.(later I solved this problem by using other setup option)
i didn't change anything in the network, so everything there is the default one
puppyiso wrote: 3) can't use anything other than English. And it's not lupu's problem since other lupu based all worked fine with other languages. Abiword wasn't even installed and downloaded version never got along with any language other than English. You have to announce it as an English only version or not Asian language friendly version.
i don't understand what you are talking about, what do you mean by other languages, can you please clarify that?
also abiword was removed by default (see first post)
puppyiso wrote: 4) Before I install Abi, there was abi help menu which turn out to be same as chronium browser. In other words, the menu got mixed up.
did you experience this in the 0.44 version? i know i removed all broken menu items from 0.44
puppyiso wrote: 5) Other drives are not mountabl except the home directory. It didn't recogize any other drives, making root only or home drive only system.

When I clicked on the mount menu, it just disappeared and nothing mounted. If it wants to keep the screen clean. why not add automounted drives in the right click menu?
are you using pmount or ppy-mount? (and which versions)
pmount crashes on me 9/10 times , that's why i developed ppy-mount, if you're experiencing these kind of crashes with the ppy-mount 0.05 (included in reborn v0.44) run ppy-mount from the terminal and show me the output so i may fix the bug
puppyiso wrote: 6) Before version 04, the resolution was unacceptable. I am using my PC with TV connected.

7) Overall. long way to go.

John
i didn't ever change anything regarding the video drivers or anything related to that, maybe you selected the wrong settings previous times?

i don't know, please help me fix the problems by answering the questions above
and thank you for your review, it was very helpful, great idea with the mounted media in the right click, i'll definitely work on that :D

TLM

#78 Post by TLM »

Still loving this puplet! You mentioned in an earlier post that you had shortened your panel so that you had an area to right click in to access the menu without having to shade or minimize all other windows. I have found the tint2rc file, but do not know which value to edit to shorten my panel. Assuming I am looking at the correct file. I see values for panel size and margin, but editing them did not change anything. Do i need to run something in terminal after i edit tint2rc? Thanks again.

alexandrion

#79 Post by alexandrion »

TLM wrote:Still loving this puplet! You mentioned in an earlier post that you had shortened your panel so that you had an area to right click in to access the menu without having to shade or minimize all other windows. I have found the tint2rc file, but do not know which value to edit to shorten my panel. Assuming I am looking at the correct file. I see values for panel size and margin, but editing them did not change anything. Do i need to run something in terminal after i edit tint2rc? Thanks again.
yes, after each modification you have to restart the reconfigured program, in this case you have to restart tint,
alt+f2

Code: Select all

pkill tint2
alt+f2

tint2

TLM

#80 Post by TLM »

alexandrion wrote:
TLM wrote:Still loving this puplet! You mentioned in an earlier post that you had shortened your panel so that you had an area to right click in to access the menu without having to shade or minimize all other windows. I have found the tint2rc file, but do not know which value to edit to shorten my panel. Assuming I am looking at the correct file. I see values for panel size and margin, but editing them did not change anything. Do i need to run something in terminal after i edit tint2rc? Thanks again.
yes, after each modification you have to restart the reconfigured program, in this case you have to restart tint,
alt+f2

pkill tint2
alt+f2

tint2
Thank you for that shortcut method. I had just figured out that restarting my computer will apply the changes as well, but your way is more instant. I have been avoiding restarting X because ever since i installed nvidia driver, if i restart X i get vertical placement issues with my display, and no amount of nvidia-xconfig or running xorgwizard will fix it. I have to reboot to fix that issue. Also xvidtune does not seem to work on my card (GeForce 6200)
Thank you for your assistance. Now having fun with tint2rc file! Can change clock font size and color and all kinds of things.

stu90

#81 Post by stu90 »

I don't know if alexandrion has it included in Reborn Puppy or not but there is a Tint2 configuration GUI tint2conf or is it tintwizard (requires python)

I have it in this tint2.pet here (if i recall these some other app ins in there as well, Feh image viewer, 9menu, gtk-engines)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4kngj6gvv ... 2_0.11.pet

alexandrion

#82 Post by alexandrion »

stu90 wrote:I don't know if alexandrion has it included in Reborn Puppy or not but there is a Tint2 configuration GUI tint2conf or is it tintwizard (requires python)

I have it in this tint2.pet here (if i recall these some other app ins in there as well, Feh image viewer, 9menu, gtk-engines)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4kngj6gvv ... 2_0.11.pet
i did not include any gui tint2 configuration editor

alexandrion

#83 Post by alexandrion »

TLM wrote: Thank you for your assistance. Now having fun with tint2rc file! Can change clock font size and color and all kinds of things.
sure, have fun editing stuff :)
if you have any other questions feel free to ask them :D

puppyiso

#84 Post by puppyiso »

puppyiso wrote:

3) can't use anything other than English. And it's not lupu's problem since other lupu based all worked fine with other languages. Abiword wasn't even installed and downloaded version never got along with any language other than English. You have to announce it as an English only version or not Asian language friendly version.

i don't understand what you are talking about, what do you mean by other languages, can you please clarify that?
Please see the screenshots I attached

As usual, I used Pmount Where can I find ppy-mount?

The resolution may be a fault on my part. I installed good old(need some upgrade) Shinobar's 431qs version. It had resolution problem at the beginning

I had to re set using xorgwizard after the save file was set.

I do like your approach but had some problems. Especially the scim thing.

John

for some reason this old chrome browser can't upload pictures. I have to reboot and send the screenshots for you. One moment.

puppyiso

#85 Post by puppyiso »

puppyiso wrote:

Please see the screenshots I attached

As usual, I used Pmount Where can I find ppy-mount?

The resolution may be a fault on my part. I installed good old(need some upgrade) Shinobar's 431qs version. It had resolution problem at the beginning

I had to re set using xorgwizard after the save file was set.

I do like your approach but had some problems. Especially the scim thing.

John

for some reason this old chrome browser can't upload pictures. I have to reboot and send the screenshots for you. One moment.

puppyiso

#86 Post by puppyiso »

Sorry for the double post.

Anyway, I rebooted and found those shots out of thousand pictures.

I zipped it and attached.

Please see them

alexandrion

#87 Post by alexandrion »

use 0.44 for ppy-mount / broken links
i still dont understand what scim is and as for the internet, i repeat, i did not alter the behaviour of the internet setup tools in any way

TLM

#88 Post by TLM »

I just installed this on an asus eeepc 701 4gig ssd with 2g RAM. Everything works pretty good except webcam. If anyone could point me to existing PET files to get my webcam to work, I would be most grateful. My searches are turning up a lot of things that i am not sure will work or not. Many thanks!

alexandrion

#89 Post by alexandrion »

isn't cheese in the puppy repositories?

marco07

#90 Post by marco07 »

Hi:
I just finished reading thru entire posts in this thread and became interested to try this. I am downloading version 0.44 right now. Will be tring it later this eveining and will be back here to post how it all worked out.
thanks for sharing!

TLM

#91 Post by TLM »

alexandrion wrote:isn't cheese in the puppy repositories?
Why yes it is! There are an enormous amount of dependencies that come along with it however and even after installing all these, it still is not right (webcam works, but Cheese is missing icons, no Help file, etc.

However i just found PETS for luvcview and guvcview.. Will try these out and see how it works.