Reborn Puppy v0.44

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dawnsboy

#61 Post by dawnsboy »

would you mind testing the 040.1 version? i've been running it for a day and i had no chromium problems, could you confirm that?
Downloaded the 040.1 with chromium-browser 10. Did a fresh frugal install. So far chromium 10 works just fine.

Also here is a screen shot to show modifications that I made to the desktop on my Acer netbook which gets out in public from time to time. People are usually attracted to the screen when they realize it is not windows.

I like the look of the Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox desktop with Tint2 so I implemented the look on Reborn Puppy.
Attachments
reborndesk.png
(94.58 KiB) Downloaded 1149 times

alexandrion

#62 Post by alexandrion »

that's great news :)
don't you use conky?

dawnsboy

#63 Post by dawnsboy »

don't you use conky?
I have it on my desktop. I just commented conky in the .xinitrc for the netbook for this theme and added freemem.

l2ulinux

Reborn Puppy v0.40.1

#64 Post by l2ulinux »

I am not Dawnsboy, but after the put downs of Chromium I just had to try reborn v0.40.1
It worked ok, wish you had left the panel alone. Only problem was with the
internet connection droped twice. Had to install both times.

-Computer-
Processor : 4x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz
Memory : 2065MB (263MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 04 May 2011 10:37:43 AM GMT-8
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

Operating System
----------------

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.33.2 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Puppy Linux 0.52
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: Openbox)
-Misc-
Uptime : 10 hours, 42 minutes
Load Average : 0.01, 0.04, 0.00

Look at uptime and most was watching internet TV.

alexandrion

Re: Reborn Puppy v0.40.1

#65 Post by alexandrion »

l2ulinux wrote:I am not Dawnsboy, but after the put downs of Chromium I just had to try reborn v0.40.1
It worked ok, wish you had left the panel alone. Only problem was with the
internet connection droped twice. Had to install both times.

Look at uptime and most was watching internet TV.
i made no modification to the internet connection, it should act exactly like the the original version

also what do you miss from the old panel?

OFC Dark Puppy

#66 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

525, at least for me has a terrible wireless network manager. At least compared to 520.

The networks will not autoconnect on startup. You have to scan for your preferred network each time and manually connect to it. It's a real pain.

Perhaps that's what 12linux was talking about.

I don't have a wired connection on my pc so I can't say whether or not the ethernet works. Though since it's wired, it should work. Wireless is buggy and improperly managed.

The developers of 525, for all their gains, took steps backward in the wireless internet department.

alexandrion

#67 Post by alexandrion »

OFC Dark Puppy wrote:525, at least for me has a terrible wireless network manager. At least compared to 520.

The networks will not autoconnect on startup. You have to scan for your preferred network each time and manually connect to it. It's a real pain.

Perhaps that's what 12linux was talking about.

I don't have a wired connection on my pc so I can't say whether or not the ethernet works. Though since it's wired, it should work. Wireless is buggy and improperly managed.

The developers of 525, for all their gains, took steps backward in the wireless internet department.
i don't seam to have any problems, i mean i did, (see here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67139) but it was an easy fix, instead of using the first tool i used the second one and never had problems ever since

OFC Dark Puppy

#68 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

Well I've never had problems with my wireless dropping me. Well...at least without encryption. It works nice from beginning to end. It's just that puppy can't remember my last used network. Even if I go into network manager and save the profile, I'll have to manually get the connection working again on startup.

With encryption, puppy found the network and for a few days it worked nice. Then I couldn't connect to the network again. I checked Macpup too, which never had problems connecting and the same thing. I even went to mint and still no internet. I had to switch to a different computer and get into the router settings and disable encryption. Suddenly Puppy could connect again.

So my router must not handle encryption well.

For many people that have problems with encrypted connections, you should make sure your router can handle the selected encryption.
Or encryptions period. Some routers say they can on the box but once you get them working it's a whole other story.

Anyway...that didn't fix my autostart problem. Stay connected to internet which is in the menu, can't seem to remember what network I connected to last time.

That's the problem I'm having.

l2ulinux

reborn puppy v0.40.1

#69 Post by l2ulinux »

The connection just dropped. First time I was watching Vettle and the stream stopped. I tried to restart it and a page would come up and read web site down are has moved both times. I ran install program each time and it would restart again with no problem. It is a wired connection.
What I mean about the panel was i miss the menu button and the volume, connection and memory. I love the way you made the icons come up in the panel when you minimize the programs.
By the way have you tried Browserlinux? They look almost alike.

alexandrion

Re: reborn puppy v0.40.1

#70 Post by alexandrion »

l2ulinux wrote:The connection just dropped. First time I was watching Vettle and the stream stopped. I tried to restart it and a page would come up and read web site down are has moved both times. I ran install program each time and it would restart again with no problem. It is a wired connection.
What I mean about the panel was i miss the menu button and the volume, connection and memory. I love the way you made the icons come up in the panel when you minimize the programs.
By the way have you tried Browserlinux? They look almost alike.
if you check the root folder
did you try both internet setup managers and both failed? if not make sure you check the other one
anyway as for the the panel, there's a solution for each problem you have
l2ulinux wrote:What I mean about the panel was i miss the menu button
well, sure, it doesn't have a menu button, but the right click mouse button displays the exact menu that fbpanel does, in my configuration i made the tint2 panel slightly shorter so i had space to the left of it to right click and get the menu
see here
http://i.imgur.com/qondH.png
l2ulinux wrote: and the volume, connection and memory
for the volume in this version i use my own volume tool, if you hold start and press the arrow keys it should change the volumes and display the output, however you will have to configure it since most cards have different settings, if you need help trying to get that to work ask
here's what i get when i press that combination
http://i.imgur.com/IBu4X.png
if you're getting anything else or nothing at all it's probably not configure properly
as for the size tool, that's a complete waste of toolbar space, you can find out how much free space you have with the built-in thunar file manager
http://i.imm.io/5qzw.jpeg
see? you're not missing out on anything
and since most of us almost NEVER change the network settings (well, at least if you get it working) the network icon on the tray is useless, you can access the internet setup from the menu
http://i.imgur.com/zN5J7.png
and the new puppy release i'm currently working on will have an even more intuitive menu
http://i.imgur.com/JfDWm.png
still not convinced?
i attached to this thread the tools you are missing :)

install the pet file, add

Code: Select all

retrovol --hide &
in the .xinitrc file and restart x, the volume icon should be back on the tray bar :)
for the firewall, network, free memory and power tray icons, add the files in the startup archive in your /root/Startup restart X and they should be there :)

if you still have questions don't hesitate to ask and i will be happy to clarify your problems
Attachments
Startup.tar.gz
(10.42 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
retrovol-0.10.pet
(115.81 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

l2ulinux

reborn puppy v0.40.1

#71 Post by l2ulinux »

I was not complaining about the dropped connections. It is a problem I have not seen in a long time. What got me was the way it would bring up the pages reading the web sites must be off line are moved to a new server.
The main thing I wanted to say was there was no problem with the web browser. Everything worked right and there was no lag. I only have a 5 gig DSL connection if I am lucky. Most of the time it runs about 2 to 3 on a good day.
I have tried almost all web browsers. I am going to try one Qtweb I think the name is.

alexandrion

Re: reborn puppy v0.40.1

#72 Post by alexandrion »

l2ulinux wrote:I was not complaining about the dropped connections. It is a problem I have not seen in a long time. What got me was the way it would bring up the pages reading the web sites must be off line are moved to a new server.
The main thing I wanted to say was there was no problem with the web browser. Everything worked right and there was no lag. I only have a 5 gig DSL connection if I am lucky. Most of the time it runs about 2 to 3 on a good day.
I have tried almost all web browsers. I am going to try one Qtweb I think the name is.
i tried that one this morning (you can check in one of my previous posts in ths thread), didn't work out for me :)
did you apply anything from the post above?

dawnsboy

#73 Post by dawnsboy »

Results of testing to date:

I am able to establish and maintain wired and wireless internet connections.

I have been able to since Lucid 5.11 (on official lucid and derivatives). I currently have an Acer Aspire One netbook and a Compaq Presario SR1603WM. I have used the official Lucid live CD's on two eeepc's and an Acer Aspire 4520 laptop without any connection issues. I had some difficulty with the Simple Network application on the original release of official Lucid but they have since disappeared. I have not had any issues on Lucid or derivatives since.

As I reported previously I did have difficulties with Chromium Browser 12.

These same issues occurred when using this browser on other versions of Puppy LInux and other derivatives. Among these issues are Chromium 12 whining that the page is not available or that server has permanently moved. I encountered these errors with Facebook, webmail and other commonly visited sites. In my case these errors occurred with an active internet connection. I could confirm internet access with any internet aware application and could immediately visit the same site with an alternate browser. Chromium-Browser 10 works just fine.

I did have to complete manual setup on initial use with the eth0 on the Compaq and with the sound card on the Compaq and the Acer Aspire One netbook.

After initial setup networking and audio have worked just fine.

Twice now (different save files) the icons for Thunar File Manager have gone MIA. I have not had a chance to evaluate how I managed to do that. The Gion icon theme is still in it's assigned folder but it no longer displays. All I get is a generic "text document" icon in the file manager windows for all files, folders and drives.

Other than that reborn puppy has been working out just fine. It is pretty quick on my machines.

alexandrion

#74 Post by alexandrion »

that sounds like a gtk problem
can you please post the ~/-.gtk-2.0 file?

alexandrion

#75 Post by alexandrion »

new version available
updates include
- removed broken shortcuts from the menu
- redesigned the menu to make it more practical
- ppy-mount v0.05
- changed the shortcuts to launch the default browser instead of hard linking it to chromium
- removed some inbuilt tools

puppyiso

#76 Post by puppyiso »

I was told that the reason for this forum is to beta test derivatives.

So, here goes my report;

1) to begin with, the annoying messages such as network setup, language setting show up everytime I boot. I understand that this is th e feature of 525 series. OK let's forget about it.

2) It can't find eth0 connection, hence no internet.(later I solved this problem by using other setup option)

3) can't use anything other than English. And it's not lupu's problem since other lupu based all worked fine with other languages. Abiword wasn't even installed and downloaded version never got along with any language other than English. You have to announce it as an English only version or not Asian language friendly version.

4) Before I install Abi, there was abi help menu which turn out to be same as chronium browser. In other words, the menu got mixed up.

5) Other drives are not mountabl except the home directory. It didn't recogize any other drives, making root only or home drive only system.

When I clicked on the mount menu, it just disappeared and nothing mounted. If it wants to keep the screen clean. why not add automounted drives in the right click menu?

6) Before version 04, the resolution was unacceptable. I am using my PC with TV connected.

7) Overall. long way to go.

John

alexandrion

#77 Post by alexandrion »

puppyiso wrote:I was told that the reason for this forum is to beta test derivatives.

So, here goes my report;

1) to begin with, the annoying messages such as network setup, language setting show up everytime I boot. I understand that this is th e feature of 525 series. OK let's forget about it.
well, i guess i remove that dialog but if i do all those setttings won't be saved, so the time will be all messed up
puppyiso wrote: 2) It can't find eth0 connection, hence no internet.(later I solved this problem by using other setup option)
i didn't change anything in the network, so everything there is the default one
puppyiso wrote: 3) can't use anything other than English. And it's not lupu's problem since other lupu based all worked fine with other languages. Abiword wasn't even installed and downloaded version never got along with any language other than English. You have to announce it as an English only version or not Asian language friendly version.
i don't understand what you are talking about, what do you mean by other languages, can you please clarify that?
also abiword was removed by default (see first post)
puppyiso wrote: 4) Before I install Abi, there was abi help menu which turn out to be same as chronium browser. In other words, the menu got mixed up.
did you experience this in the 0.44 version? i know i removed all broken menu items from 0.44
puppyiso wrote: 5) Other drives are not mountabl except the home directory. It didn't recogize any other drives, making root only or home drive only system.

When I clicked on the mount menu, it just disappeared and nothing mounted. If it wants to keep the screen clean. why not add automounted drives in the right click menu?
are you using pmount or ppy-mount? (and which versions)
pmount crashes on me 9/10 times , that's why i developed ppy-mount, if you're experiencing these kind of crashes with the ppy-mount 0.05 (included in reborn v0.44) run ppy-mount from the terminal and show me the output so i may fix the bug
puppyiso wrote: 6) Before version 04, the resolution was unacceptable. I am using my PC with TV connected.

7) Overall. long way to go.

John
i didn't ever change anything regarding the video drivers or anything related to that, maybe you selected the wrong settings previous times?

i don't know, please help me fix the problems by answering the questions above
and thank you for your review, it was very helpful, great idea with the mounted media in the right click, i'll definitely work on that :D

TLM

#78 Post by TLM »

Still loving this puplet! You mentioned in an earlier post that you had shortened your panel so that you had an area to right click in to access the menu without having to shade or minimize all other windows. I have found the tint2rc file, but do not know which value to edit to shorten my panel. Assuming I am looking at the correct file. I see values for panel size and margin, but editing them did not change anything. Do i need to run something in terminal after i edit tint2rc? Thanks again.

alexandrion

#79 Post by alexandrion »

TLM wrote:Still loving this puplet! You mentioned in an earlier post that you had shortened your panel so that you had an area to right click in to access the menu without having to shade or minimize all other windows. I have found the tint2rc file, but do not know which value to edit to shorten my panel. Assuming I am looking at the correct file. I see values for panel size and margin, but editing them did not change anything. Do i need to run something in terminal after i edit tint2rc? Thanks again.
yes, after each modification you have to restart the reconfigured program, in this case you have to restart tint,
alt+f2

pkill tint2
alt+f2

tint2

TLM

#80 Post by TLM »

alexandrion wrote:
TLM wrote:Still loving this puplet! You mentioned in an earlier post that you had shortened your panel so that you had an area to right click in to access the menu without having to shade or minimize all other windows. I have found the tint2rc file, but do not know which value to edit to shorten my panel. Assuming I am looking at the correct file. I see values for panel size and margin, but editing them did not change anything. Do i need to run something in terminal after i edit tint2rc? Thanks again.
yes, after each modification you have to restart the reconfigured program, in this case you have to restart tint,
alt+f2

pkill tint2
alt+f2

tint2
Thank you for that shortcut method. I had just figured out that restarting my computer will apply the changes as well, but your way is more instant. I have been avoiding restarting X because ever since i installed nvidia driver, if i restart X i get vertical placement issues with my display, and no amount of nvidia-xconfig or running xorgwizard will fix it. I have to reboot to fix that issue. Also xvidtune does not seem to work on my card (GeForce 6200)
Thank you for your assistance. Now having fun with tint2rc file! Can change clock font size and color and all kinds of things.