Reborn Puppy v0.44

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
OFC Dark Puppy

#31 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

I'm not an expert or anything but I think that Pypanel would work wonders in this pup of yours. Since you included Python.

It's supposed to be better then FBpanel and also very lightweight.

alexandrion

#32 Post by alexandrion »

this is not fbpanel, it's tint2
i tried pypanel at one point but i never got to like it as much as i like tint2, thank you for the suggestion tho

OFC Dark Puppy

#33 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

I also like tint 2 when I tried it.

I just never figured out how to add a tray or get it to start up right.

Like I said I'm no expert.

alexandrion

#34 Post by alexandrion »

OFC Dark Puppy wrote:I also like tint 2 when I tried it.

I just never figured out how to add a tray or get it to start up right.

Like I said I'm no expert.
what do you mean by add a tray?
and to start up right just add tint2 & in your .xinitrc file :)

OFC Dark Puppy

#35 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

Well I was using Openbox in Mint. I wasn't using puppy. So I was actually scripting a autostart.sh

However it would start up in gnome too. I didn't know how to get it to only start up with Openbox. And I couldn't figure out how to add Stalonetray.

I don't like Fbpanel in puppy since the right click menu has all the same features anyway. By using Tint2 which I think is faster, I think puppy could be much faster.

However I would also like to try Wbar in puppy, but I've not figured out how to configure it.

I'm really new at this.

Actually I've always wanted to try Midnight Commander, since I'm talking about customs. How fast is Midnight Commander? I hear it's really good.

alexandrion

#36 Post by alexandrion »

OFC Dark Puppy wrote:Well I was using Openbox in Mint. I wasn't using puppy. So I was actually scripting a autostart.sh

However it would start up in gnome too. I didn't know how to get it to only start up with Openbox. And I couldn't figure out how to add Stalonetray.

I don't like Fbpanel in puppy since the right click menu has all the same features anyway. By using Tint2 which I think is faster, I think puppy could be much faster.

However I would also like to try Wbar in puppy, but I've not figured out how to configure it.

I'm really new at this.

Actually I've always wanted to try Midnight Commander, since I'm talking about customs. How fast is Midnight Commander? I hear it's really good.
i never used midnight commander, and i didn't manage to configure wbar either
i tried this one time i was using debian, the only acceptable-looking tray i manage to configure was awn but the eyecandy isn't worth the performance loss with one of those

also about your tint2, maybe gnome added it to the startup list automatically?

OFC Dark Puppy

#37 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

I don't know. After a long time of hassling with Openbox in Mint, the people in the mint forum told me to stop wasting their time and go use puppy linux.
So I did.

:wink:

While I was reading up on Openbox I heard about many tiny little panels.
BMpanel, Slimdock, Pypanel,

I don't know if I'll ever use any of them.

One thing that I really need is the ability to use the make command in terminal. By default Puppy's terminal has very limited abilities.

Speaking of Midnight Commander. After updating to the newest pup, I realized that Midnight Commander is in the PPM. However it needs something called slang as a dependency. Slang isn't in the PPM and that seems stupid to me.

alexandrion

#38 Post by alexandrion »

i don't know, i've never used it, doesn't it start when you open it?
python has a lot of dependencies but i didn't install any and it still works

OFC Dark Puppy

#39 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

I could try. But if Midnight Commander doesn't work then I'll have to ask the developers to stuff slang into their ppm.

However I realized that there is no cleaning program for puppy. In the past after a bit of messing with puppy I'd have to delete my save and start fresh since it would begin to lag. All that history and all those pets are still saved in Puppy mucking up performance.

On another post I read that bleachbit is written in python. So for people using your puppy. That could be an option. I might have to install python anyways in order to use bleachbit.

What language was Ubuntu Tweak written in? Ubuntu Tweak is another cleaning program which I have used alot in linux. I'd love to use it in puppy.

It does come with a lot of extras like tweaking compiz and UT even comes with a package manager of it's own where you can download some recommends it gives you.

In puppy some of those features should be optional. It would be wonderful if the developers would write a variation on ubuntu tweak, called puppy tweak.

alexandrion

#40 Post by alexandrion »

why would you need a cleaning tool?
i was curious about your post so i checked the var folder and mine has only 2 mb, i checked my ubuntu var folder and it has over 350, it seams puppy does a splendid job of clearing temporary files
also for developing tools you might want to download the devx sfs

OFC Dark Puppy

#41 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

Well I've just exausted all my personal storage watching videos online. That's something that sort of peeved me.

I didn't know that the cache uses up puppy's storage.

I may get devx. Thanks for the suggestion. However I was simply relaying what I read on another post. There is a post in suggestions asking for Bleachbit. It's called cleaning tools.

I really don't know how good puppy is at removing temporary files, however I've noticed that program entries tend to stick around even after I've deleted the program.

If I uninstall a program, I'd like to make sure that all of it is gone. Also Ubuntu Tweak cleans out the package manager cache. Since you usually download the list of programs in the package manager.

However I'm not sure how compatible that would be with PPM.

It would still be a nice idea to have a maintenance program for some things. At least until the developers release an update that even makes 525 look like DSL.

alexandrion

#42 Post by alexandrion »

here, this should work
i do not support this package in any way

alexandrion

#43 Post by alexandrion »

v0.40 now available
improvements include
  • better terminal emulator
    chromium now launches thunar instead of rox
    inluded ppy-mount v0.04
    lighter icon pack
    smaller iso size :D

OFC Dark Puppy

#44 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

Thanks alot.

I've installed Bleachbit.

I've also got Midnight Commander working. You said you didn't try it. It's much faster and lighter then Rox file manager. Much of that is because it's text based.

It's a bit more advanced then anything I've ever used. But It's not really confusing either. It's pretty straight forward.

I think having midnight commander over Rox would make an Os faster, however beginners and people who love eye candy won't really enjoy it much.

I also found a neat program called WMdrawer. It's basically an animated drawer that opens up to reveal app launchers. I found it hilarious.

I think the site though is either not working anymore or in some sort of maintenance.

Anyway thanks again for Bleachbit. I hope to try your Puppy Reborn when it's finished.

alexandrion

#45 Post by alexandrion »

OFC Dark Puppy wrote:Thanks alot.

I've installed Bleachbit.

I've also got Midnight Commander working. You said you didn't try it. It's much faster and lighter then Rox file manager. Much of that is because it's text based.

It's a bit more advanced then anything I've ever used. But It's not really confusing either. It's pretty straight forward.

I think having midnight commander over Rox would make an Os faster, however beginners and people who love eye candy won't really enjoy it much.
i'm glad they work, and sure, having text based apps tend to be faster but yea, rox is very unintuitive, thunar is so much better, that's why i use it :)
i don't think that midnight commander is not used because it's text based, i think it's not used because it's impractical, kind of like emacs or vi
why get used to something that is not standard? you'll bound to get angry when you're on a machine that doesn't act the way you get used to
OFC Dark Puppy wrote: I also found a neat program called WMdrawer. It's basically an animated drawer that opens up to reveal app launchers. I found it hilarious.

I think the site though is either not working anymore or in some sort of maintenance.

Anyway thanks again for Bleachbit. I hope to try your Puppy Reborn when it's finished.
sure, no problem, and as for my puppy, i don't think it'll ever reach a final stage because there is no goal in how well a distro can perform

puppyiso

#46 Post by puppyiso »

Oh my.. I saw .36 announcement and thinking of downloading but suddenly(out of nowhere) the link disappeared and now 40.

I do live in an era of flashing speed of information tech world.

Stunned, speechless and motionless now

OFC Dark Puppy

#47 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

alexandrion wrote:
OFC Dark Puppy wrote:Thanks alot.

i'm glad they work, and sure, having text based apps tend to be faster but yea, rox is very unintuitive, thunar is so much better, that's why i use it :)
i don't think that midnight commander is not used because it's text based, i think it's not used because it's impractical, kind of like emacs or vi
why get used to something that is not standard? you'll bound to get angry when you're on a machine that doesn't act the way you get used to

I'm glad you said that. I actually felt stupid because I realized that I inadvertently called Rox eye candy.

I think the blue color of Midnight Commander if still prettier then rox, even if it's scrolling text lists instead of icons. I think some people will get frustrated because of the inability to right click. You have to highlight and then select an action. It's tough to get used to.

However I am always trying to stand out, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for other light weight file managers.

Hamsi may take over for nautilus one day. I haven't tried it and I already see it. It's far too pretty and it's built in media tools will be too irresistible for developers. Especially the fact that the file manager has it's own skins. However it's kind aggravating for me because Hamsi sounds so cool, yet I know it'll lag.

dawnsboy

#48 Post by dawnsboy »

I took the 38 version for a spin on my old Compaq Presario 1603. I liked it. I like #40 even better. Nice job. Has kind of a Crunchbang feel to it.

I do find that Chromium Browser 12 has been misbehaving of late. I took the 40 version without Chromium and installed Firefox 4 from the Lucid pet repository. It runs like a champ so far.

alexandrion

#49 Post by alexandrion »

OFC Dark Puppy wrote: I'm glad you said that. I actually felt stupid because I realized that I inadvertently called Rox eye candy.

I think the blue color of Midnight Commander if still prettier then rox, even if it's scrolling text lists instead of icons. I think some people will get frustrated because of the inability to right click. You have to highlight and then select an action. It's tough to get used to.
well sure, it's hard and for some people it's worth it but i find it more convenient to just right click an archive and click extract here than to extract it via console
OFC Dark Puppy wrote: However I am always trying to stand out, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for other light weight file managers.

Hamsi may take over for nautilus one day. I haven't tried it and I already see it. It's far too pretty and it's built in media tools will be too irresistible for developers. Especially the fact that the file manager has it's own skins. However it's kind aggravating for me because Hamsi sounds so cool, yet I know it'll lag.
i think you are a bit too concerned about lag, if you ever used ANY other distribution you'll find out that it lags in every way compared to puppy

dawnsboy wrote:I took the 38 version for a spin on my old Compaq Presario 1603. I liked it. I like #40 even better. Nice job. Has kind of a Crunchbang feel to it.

I do find that Chromium Browser 12 has been misbehaving of late. I took the 40 version without Chromium and installed Firefox 4 from the Lucid pet repository. It runs like a champ so far.
in order for me to fix things for later versions, i need to know what is wrong in current versions, what seams to be the problem with chromium 12?
puppyiso wrote:Oh my.. I saw .36 announcement and thinking of downloading but suddenly(out of nowhere) the link disappeared and now 40.

I do live in an era of flashing speed of information tech world.

Stunned, speechless and motionless now
actually puppy .38 was up for a couple of days but i digress :)
that's exactly why i was up at 4 am in the morning, i didn't want to wait another day to release it since maybe some people wanted to try it and i wanted them to share the better experience :)

as for the era of flashing speed, i remember when i had my first pc with 14 kb modem, you would have to wait like 1-3 hours to get a mp3 :D

dawnsboy

#50 Post by dawnsboy »

in order for me to fix things for later versions, i need to know what is wrong in current versions, what seams to be the problem with chromium 12?
The issues I have with Chromium are not specific to this derivative. In fact I suspect it to be a Chromium issue and not a Puppy issue. It appears that running Chromium as root is not a good thing and the devs want to make sure that users do not run Chromium as root.

Found this in one of GrumpyWolfe's Chromium threads:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue ... l?id=74594

GrumpyWolfe no longer compiles Chromium for Puppy as a result.