Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 14 Dec 2017, 15:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to Make a Bootable Flash Drive using ISObooter
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 15 of 17 [248 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
Pelo

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul 2017, 14:55    Post subject: My previous pupsave, still on the pendrive, loaded
Subject description: Puppy Stretch (may 2017)

eh eh, success too.. Smile
My previous pupsave, still on the pendrive, loaded at boot.. We could we ask more... Some devs are really useful to thousands of puppy passengers, and of Mintpup of course
Isobooter should work as well with the other Debian dogs (XenialDog had untill now his own pendrive)

Last edited by Pelo on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 07:10; edited 1 time in total
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul 2017, 01:48    Post subject:  

G'day rcrsn51, can yoU Please Advise the Best pmedia argument or edit 2 the menu.lst File that Helps Puppy Look 4 the Location of the Required Files ( sfs isn't it? ), Being that they're within the iso File on a USB, Not a CD or ide or sata... Sorry I'm Confused! is there a Universal Vanilla pmedia Helper Txt?

SmileK
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul 2017, 03:37    Post subject:  

Just to be clear, the "pmedia" argument is used by Puppy when it starts up - it has nothing to do with ISObooter.

Different Puppies handle this argument different ways, and how it works depends on your hardware. There is no "best" option.

You need to describe your particular situation.
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul 2017, 03:48    Post subject:  

Thanx rcrsn51, 4 your Reply, because I've got 50 odd isos ( Puppies, Dogs, Other Linuxes & M$ Virus Bait installers ) on Me 32Gb USB Flash Dr 4 Demoing & Testing, it could be on any Variety of Hardware / Configuration, Hence the objective of a Vanilla Universal pmedia aRugment...

SmileK
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul 2017, 04:00    Post subject:  

The two sensible choices are "pmedia=cd" and "pmedia=usbflash". They should cover all the possibilities.

Unfortunately, some hardware doesn't like USB booting, no matter how you set it up. Here's the problem:

It's the job of the computer's BIOS to locate the first two Puppy files - vmlinuz and initrd.gz. It can usually find them on the USB drive.

It then passes control to Puppy, who tries to find its SFS file on the USB drive.

On a few computers, the USB system times out between those two phases. If Puppy cannot wake up the USB, it won't be able to find the SFS file, and booting will fail.

Traditionally, the "pmedia=cd" argument tells Puppy to look in lots of places. If it can find the SFS file on a hard drive, booting may succeed.
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul 2017, 15:30    Post subject:  

Thanx again rcrsn51, just confirming that it is allowed 2 have Both pmedia=cd & pmedia=usbflash for each iso? in the menu.lst on the line that says kernel or root if it's chainloaded?

And can the USB system Timing be dictated in the menu.lst?

Also Wot is the Typical Error Message 4 that issue & if I could be aware of it could I add a puppy Boot Option on the Fly?

Thanx again 4 Sharing your Wisdom!

SmileK
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul 2017, 15:56    Post subject:  

Max Headroom wrote:
just confirming that it is allowed 2 have Both pmedia=cd & pmedia=usbflash for each iso? in the menu.lst on the line that says kernel

No. If you are booting with "splashscreen=n", you can have one or the other, but not both.

Quote:
or root if it's chainloaded?

No. If you are booting with "splashscreen=y", you cannot use the pmedia option. For a Puppy, you are simulating booting from the CD, in which case "pmedia=cd" is already in place.

Quote:
And can the USB system Timing be dictated in the menu.lst?

No. That is handled by Puppy.

Quote:
Also Wot is the Typical Error Message 4 that issue

"SFS file not found"

Quote:
& if I could be aware of it could I add a puppy Boot Option on the Fly?

It is possible to edit the GRUB menu on-the-fly, but it can be awkward.

Here is the basic idea:

1. Set up your Puppy ISO with "splashscreen=n" and the default "pmedia=cd".
2. If it boots, switch to "pmedia=usbflash" in hopes of improving the boot speed.
3. If #1 fails, switch to "splashscreen=y".
4. If #3 fails, try booting off a physical CD.
belham2

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul 2017, 13:57    Post subject:  

Hi Rcrsn51,

I just wanted to say "Thank You" for ISObooter. I've always installed pups + ddogs + all other ubuntu/debian-based OSes either using frugal (for pups & ddogs) and/or just using a separate, single usb or dvd to dd the ubuntu/debian OSes to. I had always wondered if I could put multiple ubuntu/debian OSes on one usb stick, just in the form of their ISOs, and somehow have that ISO launch so I could run it, and if I like, install it to somewhere else. I tried Yumi, but it is/was hit or miss for me.

Then, I I came across your ISOBooter thread here, and, well, all my questions were answered. It works fantastic. I tried it first with a large number of ubuntu/debian-based distros---all the ISOs launch just as if they were launched from their own DVD). Next up, going to try a couple handfuls of Pup ISOs.

You know, the number of things in all these different pups I like to use that have your touch & imprint on is quite a bit when I sit down and think about it. I come across your name inside many scripts when I am hunting & pecking around inside the pups. Wish I had just a little of your skills so I could do something similar for the puppy community. Thanks much again Smile
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul 2017, 15:20    Post subject:  

Thank you for those kind words. But most of the credit for ISObooter should go to Scooby's work with Grub4Dos here.

It contains the key piece of code that makes ISObooter work - how to link the fourth entry in the partition table back into the ISO, so the distro can locate all its files.
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug 2017, 21:15    Post subject: Happy with isobooter but...  

Happy with isobooter but...
I installed Xenialdog alone on a 8GB usb pendrive, session is saved and boot script is modified by adding changes = Path.../changes.dat
I installed 3os (mintpup, dogStrectch, and Puppy strecth with ISObooter on another pendrive.. But i don't know where to act to get saves loaded at boot..
Any idea ?
more details here

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug 2017, 22:29    Post subject:  

@Pelo:

1. Format your flash drive with two partitions - fat32 for the ISOs and ext4 for data.

2. In the data partition, create the folder "xenialdog".

3. Run ISObooter with "splashscreen=n"

4 Change the menu.lst entry to something like
Code:
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 edd=off noauto from=/  changes=/mnt/sdb2/xenialdog/
initrd /live/initrd1.xz

(For xenial, the folders may be named "casper" instead of "live".)
Pelo

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2017, 02:14    Post subject: rcrsn51 , God bless you...  

rcrsn51 , God bless you...
Hum, i try first and come back .
IT would be a good idea to teach your knowledge to an assistant
pupsave rcrsn51!
isobooter.jpg
 Description   One step forward to success
 Filesize   59.1 KB
 Viewed   111 Time(s)

isobooter.jpg

Pelo

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2017, 04:19    Post subject: Positive ; menu.lst shows details, can be modified.  

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad something wrong only Puppy Linux now boots
Positive ; menu.lst shows details, can be modified.
09.36 AM
Try number 150 :

Eureka ! choose boot with data, press TAB and modify cheat code..
Not easy, because your keyboard is french and Linux types English, of course
!,nt!sdq3!DebiqnDog!stretch.dqt
is what you need to type on french keyboard then Linux understands
/mnt/sda3/DebianDog/stretch.dat

UK and US citizen could not imagine how muh you must like Puppy not to give up Razz

Last edited by Pelo on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 06:17; edited 7 times in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2017, 04:26    Post subject: ISObooter would not be the reason why boot fails.  

ISObooter would not be the reason why boot fails.
Data were saved on HDD linux partition. Perhaps sda is not to be used but hdd or something like that..
No problem for several tries, that is only 3 ou 4 minutes.
On last chance i will format second part of USB as Linux as explained here, by Pr rcrsn51

9 AM . process back with Splashscreen : the three OS boot Exclamation Question Question Question

Last edited by Pelo on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 07:10; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2017, 06:06    Post subject:  

Quote:
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=cd psavemark=1 pfix=fsck changes=/mnt/sda3/DebianDog/stretch.dat

That's wrong. It's a Puppy line.

You need the Debian lines like I showed you above. Or use your own syslinux commands:

Code:
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes.dat
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
Page 15 of 17 [248 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: