How to Make a Bootable Flash Drive using ISObooter

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gyro

#181 Post by gyro »

@rcrsn51,

Thanks for bringing isoBooter to puppy.

One of the things I like about it is that when you answer 'n' to the splash screen question you can specify boot parameters directly in the 'menu.lst' file.

gyro

rcrsn51

#182 Post by rcrsn51 »

gyro wrote:One of the things I like about it is that when you answer 'n' to the splash screen question you can specify boot parameters directly in the 'menu.lst' file.
Exactly. It's frustrating to see community members recommend tools like Unetbootin for Linux because they won't try something different.

gyro

#183 Post by gyro »

I just "patched" an iso by adding a ydrv...sfs to the save partition. Wonderful!
gyro

Sylvander

#184 Post by Sylvander »

Added tahrNOP-2a_6.0.2.iso to my ISObooter Flash Drive, as explained in this post.

Seems to be working well. :D

Also included is gparted-live-0.24.0-2-i686-pae.iso.

Max Headroom

G'day again rcrsn51, Please Help Booting FatDog64-702

#185 Post by Max Headroom »

Guessing maybe it's related to it not having an sfs file when eXtracted or it being 64 Bit, I dunno?...

I just acquired a 5 year old HP EliteBook 8460P Laptop w/ an i5 CPU that Ive fitted 8 GB RAMemory, Shame to waste half of it on a 32 bit Puppy Version, also I suppose it has the newer UEFi, but I have Checked that Not the issue :)K

L18L

Re: G'day again rcrsn51, Please Help Booting FatDog64-702

#186 Post by L18L »

initrd.gz is the file which has not been found.
Fatdog has initrd without .gz

Edit menu.lst and remove .gz

Or relaunch script isobooter and choose y at

Code: Select all

Do you want to boot Fatdog64-702 from its splash screen? [y/n]

Atle

#187 Post by Atle »

Indeed its a great shame that so many of these gold nuggets remains hidden in the forum and never makes it to the actual public distros released as official.

They should all be rounded up and included. There are now so many gold nuggets around that it becomes a bit weird not to include them in the Woof builder or what its name is. I am not at the level of being able to make such my self, but just by remastering and using one other gold nugget produced by rcrsn51, have raised eyebrows in other forums. Like the combination of Wlanmaker, puppy and webERP/ OpenSourcePOS, that makes anyone able to save a lot of money and have a seriously scalable platform to start with.

As for now one might say Puppy is the Swiss Army Knife of Linux due to its great versatility and flexibility, but why not add these gold nuggets like serial produced by rcrsn51, but also others in order to make it not only a Swiss Army knife, but also WD-40, crowbar, wrench tool, hammer and drone?

You all should know that if the world knew about all these gold nuggets you might see one day that Puppy is included in let say all phones memory so that a company like Huawei can offer a state of the art function in their phone.

I really miss a debate on why these gold nuggets are not included in official distroes. And there are quite lot of them. To many to ignore and to great to fail.

We need to have a roundup on the candidates for becoming a part of the next level Puppy.

I have said this before a long time ago. The homebrew stuff needs to go public. Not remain hidden in the forum and every now and then be seen as its "bumped". We need a well organized treasure hunting team to strip search our very own forum and then a vote system for who is to be included in official releases.

Sorry to starts a thread within the thread, but I am stunned every time I see a gold nugget that i did not know about and its time to start a debate on the issue.

Max Headroom

#188 Post by Max Headroom »

L18L, Thanx, Very Helpful

Atle, Yes I Reckon there's Merit in that Suggestion, But I think it needs to be tackled by sum 1 w/ more time & ability than me...

:)K

Sylvander

#189 Post by Sylvander »

Is it OK to use 64-bit Puppies with ISObooter?

Pelo

Explanations in french by esmourguit

#190 Post by Pelo »

"Exactly. It's frustrating to see community members recommend tools like Unetbootin for Linux because they won't try something different." i totally agree with rcrsn..
I tried ISObooter, it's ok (esmouguit french forum explained how to do in french)
Je vous donnerai le lien (link to arrive) " ISObooter pour Linux ou comment créer un support USB amorçable" it's a translation of rcrsn process, and answers to questions of our francophones testing isobooter.
Some are always searching to retrieve old fashioned boot system, that is true, and they release brand new puppies with that processes which don't know USB ( and laptop, and wirelss connection)
There are several topics, svp type isobooter & esmourguit in puppy search (to type means Taper, taper des caractères sur une feuille de papier)
Maintenant on tape sur l'ordinateur :)et on clique sur le bleu pour atteindre la page Esmouguit how-to ISObooter

gcmartin

Request for booting PUP ISOs on a GRUB2 flash

#191 Post by gcmartin »

In looking over the instructions for GRUB2 in this thread's Opening Post, and its grub.cfg file enclosed in the PET, there is no sample "menuentry" for booting a PUP such as FATDOG or current Slacko.

2 questions I consider key to use with todays disks
  • Is there a sample menuentry that can be used as a model to boot a PUP ISO from the GRUB2 flash?
  • Does it matter if the ISObooter disk is a GPT disk vs MSDOS disk?
Please recommend, if this is possible or if there are some key use issues that exists in GRUB2 booting Puppy ISOs.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice on this.

Edit: Changed last question from IOSbooter flash to ISObooter disk; as the bootable could be either USB or SATA or other bootable storage peripheral.
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#192 Post by watchdog »

My successfull experiment. I have used a 2Gb usb stick with gpt partition table fat32 formatted. Setting flags by gparted I had choice such as "bios_grub", "legacy_boot", "boot". I have set the flag to "boot". From my current puppy I have installed the grub-1.98-i486.pet and launched in console after mounting sdb1 (the usb stick):

grub-install --force --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt/sdb1 /dev/sdb
I moved /root/grub.cfg to /mnt/sdb1/boot/grub/ and changed its content to:

set timeout=10
set default=0

menuentry "Slacko-6.3.0.6-uefi ISO" {
 set root=(hd0,1)
 loopback loop /slacko-6.3.0.6-uefi.iso
 linux (loop)/vmlinuz pmedia=CD pfix=fsck
 initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}
Then I have copied slacko-6.3.0.6-uefi.iso to the usb stick. I rebooted choosing the usb boot and it works: it has found the savefiles in sda1 and I'm writing from it. The mine is a bios machine.

LATER: I can't explain why my usb stick works with:

set root=(hd0,1)
and not with:

set root=(hd1,1)
which should be the correct choice. From a previous install the main sfs and zdrv.sfs where copied to sda1. Removing them from sda1 and booting the iso on the usb stick it complains about the main sfs not found.

watchdog

#193 Post by watchdog »

I have changed grub.cfg to:

set timeout=10
set default=0

menuentry "Slacko-6.3.0.6-uefi ISO" {
 set root=(hd0,1)
 loopback loop /slacko-6.3.0.6-uefi.iso
 linux (loop)/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
 initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}
and have also copied with the iso file the main sfs and the zdrv.sf to the usb stick. It does not complain now about the sfs not found and the iso file is booted.

gcmartin

Using GRUB2 for ISObooter

#194 Post by gcmartin »

Seemingly GRUB2 may not be able to achieve boot excepting to copy those files out of the ISO to the area.

@Rcrsn51, might you share your GRUB2 experiences?

Updated: GRUB2 instructions is now found about halfway down in the opening post, here.

Thanks for that
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Try Isobooter, that is the message

#195 Post by Pelo »

What about isobooter, after this Grub4dos review; Grub4dos is my usual tool,
Try Isobooter, says rsncr51, that is done, well nothing bad about it.

gcmartin

#196 Post by gcmartin »

@Pelo, I think @Watchdog is referring to how the PC is seen after POST processing completes and the GRUB2 BM starts for the drives-partitions represented for boot use. It was not what was expected.

He seeks understanding, too.

schober

#197 Post by schober »

I want to do a frugal install of puppy wary 5.5 to a usb stick using isobooter
Currently, I use 2 computers both P4's with usb 1.1
1) grub dual boot with w98 & ubuntu on hd; 1gb ram
2) XP on hd and 256mb ram

Currenlty, Iam using a live puppycd and a savefile on a usb stick on No1
I want to use puppy on both machines and have access to all files

I've got a new 8gb FAT32 usb stick (actually only 7.3gb) and want to do a frugal install on it
Iwill want to install python (the anaconda versiion) and numerous addons. These will probably end up using most of 2gb

Qu1 When formatting, should should some of the ram be left unallocated to allow space for the "phantom iso"?
If so how much is needed?

Qu2
7b. After putting an ISO on the drive, run the "sync" command
Presumabley i have to change directories so that I am in the bootable part of the usb stick. Is that right?

Qu3 Is it easier to do this from ubuntu on the hard disc or from a live pupy cd?

Qu4 If I want to try another puppy can I just remove wary from the usb stick and copy another puppy across using ubuntu? (and it'll work straight away and use the savefile made by wary)

rcrsn51

#198 Post by rcrsn51 »

schober wrote:Qu1 When formatting, should should some of the ram be left unallocated to allow space for the "phantom iso"?If so how much is needed?
I would make a 2 GB fat32 partition for ISObooter and a 6GB ext4 partition for a save FOLDER. Fill the entire drive with these two partitions. There are instructions on page 12 for this setup.
Presumabley i have to change directories so that I am in the bootable part of the usb stick. Is that right?
No. Open a terminal window (the Console desktop icon) and type: sync
Qu3 Is it easier to do this from ubuntu on the hard disc or from a live pupy cd?
From Puppy.
If I want to try another puppy can I just remove wary from the usb stick and copy another puppy across using ubuntu? (and it'll work straight away and use the savefile made by wary)
You can put multiple Puppies on one ISObooter drive. But savefiles are rarely interchangeable.

Pelo

rench colleagues having some difficulties with English

#199 Post by Pelo »

Doing what is described in the topic, screencast it, post it on You Tube here, isobooter, that is what i did for french colleagues having some difficulties with English, and Linux too.
Everybody should understand, even overseas UK citizens, unless my video is bad, what is not impossible. I do my best, it's much time.
Attachments
DpupExprimo.jpg
pAVrecord, default sreencaster menu Multimedia used for this tutorial
(19.52 KiB) Downloaded 1139 times

rcrsn51

#200 Post by rcrsn51 »

Page 5 has instructions for making a Puppy flash drive from another Linux like Ubuntu or Mint.