EZ-Woof-525 - The Lucid 5.2.5 Build Environment

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
puppyluvr

#46 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Actually, I dont mind OB, but I had included my own jwm theme, so...
Also, xcompmgr doesnt do transparency in OB...
Also jwm lets you drag across desktops....

But everything works...
Best glxgears score yet...with transparency turned off...
Boy am I gonna have a lot of Pup`s.... :D

Edit:
Built a "5.29" iso from the 2.6.38.4 kernel
Included XorgHigh drivers, Firefox, and a few other things...
Again, worked flawlessly...
This kernel is very fast... 8)
Didnt build a good devx tho... :roll:
16 bytes...LOL....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

stu90

#47 Post by stu90 »

had another go with 2.6.38.4 kernel - sound / retrovol is muted at boot for me but it does work 8)
I skipped making the devx - so not sure it that works or not, will do another build later today as i now want to try adding / removing applications. :D

2byte

#48 Post by 2byte »

playdayz wrote: Did you compare your EZ-Woof-525.tgz with the md5sum in the first message of this thread? More likely, you changed something???? And that had unintended consequences???? You didn't add another Woof or anything did you, because there is a script somewhere that wants beaver to be default. You just 1) extracted, 2) started woof_gui, 3) chose the Kernel, and 4) selected Build????
I have never used bones or downloaded woof. Yes, double checked md5sum, extracted with tar to ext3 with 8 GB free, copied PKGS_MANAGEMENT and DISTRO_PET_REPOS, opened a terminal in /EZ-Woof-525, executed woof_gui, chose the supplied tickless kernel and selected Build. I did elect to not erase big modems, and I had an error about pinstall.sh not completing early in the build. Built it twice from Lucid 5.11 with exactly the same results. Used a new CD-RW too.

I will try to build again about 12 hrs from now without any changes to the config. If that doesn't fly I'll try it with a fresh download. Either way I'll report back. I want to experiment with EZ-woof so I need to get a good base to start with.

BTW, should the build be performed on a clean partition? I have quite a few Puppy frugal installs on that machine along with a couple of alien distros too.

2byte

#49 Post by 2byte »

Found the problem, I think, in /sandbox3/pinstall.sh, around line 83.

Code: Select all

mkfontscale /usr/share/cups/fonts
mkfontdir /usr/share/cups/fonts
rm -f /usr/bin/lprshell
ln -s /usr/bin/lp /usr/bin/lprshell
QSPROG=/usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs
[ -s $QSPROG ] || exit 
At this point the script starts modifying the running system then aborts if the running system doesn't have /usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs. Right? Wrong?

If EZ-Woof's woof_gui is executed in a running lupu-525 system then everything works (confirmed). Otherwise ...

gcmartin

Audio

#50 Post by gcmartin »

Many members are looking at combining the PUP525 with the new kernel so as to better take advantage of their hardware and its speed. Along the way, (almost simultaneously) 2 things were posted in the PUP525 cage.
  • Audio solution
  • Update to PUP525
If the Update and the audio solution resolves PUP525 problems without impacts, would the effort to rebuild PUP525 with including ONLY the above 2 items be a prudent move? It just seems that the "Change Management" process is the same no matter how you slice this; that is having everyone make those changes after the PUP525 base is setup or make the change once (say, called "PUP526 or something") so that everyone . Then, when there are attempts to use the "alternate kernel" build approach, it would be on a much more sound base of PUP525.

Just a question. And maybe someone can share how best to get that base so that EZ WOOF would be a better fit for the Puppy future.

But, never having gone thru a build, I am probably very naive on this. It may NOT be just those 2 items and rebuild....there may be much much more to it to get to a PUP526 for EZ WOOF use.

playdayz

#51 Post by playdayz »

Audio solution
gcmartin, Do you mean an audio solution for the 2.6.38.x kernel?

EZ-Woof users! Here is how to apply the Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.5 to the EZ-Woof-525.

1. Download the Lucid525-InstantUpdate001.pet.
2. Change the file extension from pet to tgz.
3. Click it and say No to install, then extract it.
4. Rename the folder zzzUpdate and move the zzzUpdate folder into packages-lupu.
5. Edit DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid and add an entry *at the end*

Code: Select all

yes|zzzUpdate||exe
What will happen when you build is that the zzzUpdate package will be installed last, overwriting any older files--it is the same trick I use for the zzLupu-Utilities package (and Barry used it for the zzzsimplescripts-bk, which Lucid does *not* use).

--------------------------------------------------------

In general, I want to encourage all of the experimentation that people want to do using Lucid. I think EZ-Woof-525 will make that easy. I will help with advice or questions, and so forth. But Lucid 5.2.5 is a finished product, officially. What it is time for now is some experimentation, some derivatives, some remasters, and all kinds of fun stuff to push the envelope. Which is happening. (I saw a cool remaster named Lucid Reborn just yesterday.) There is a How To on Remastering Lucid 5.2.5 and this forum for using EZ-Woof-525.And of course the kernel experimentation is great.

I personally think Lucid is a pretty good base to experiment from. I also think the devx is a pretty good base to compile with--ttuuxxx made some special contributions to the devx (back on lucid 5.2) and Mick and I tried to make sure it measured up. I used it to compile Audacious 2.5.0 the other day and had no problems (except the ones I caused myself of course ;-)

One more thing: Lucid is based on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 which is a LTS (Long Term Support) release--for 2 more years, 3 years total, so Lucid Puppy might make some kind of contribution to the Puppy community for quite a while yet.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 04 May 2011, 01:40, edited 4 times in total.

playdayz

#52 Post by playdayz »

mkfontscale /usr/share/cups/fonts
mkfontdir /usr/share/cups/fonts
rm -f /usr/bin/lprshell
ln -s /usr/bin/lp /usr/bin/lprshell
QSPROG=/usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs
[ -s $QSPROG ] || exit

At this point the script starts modifying the running system then aborts if the running system doesn't have /usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs. Right? Wrong?

If EZ-Woof's woof_gui is executed in a running lupu-525 system then everything works (confirmed). Otherwise ...
Good sleuthing 2byte. I would think it would be OK in Lucid 5.2 or 5.2.5. I will put that in the instructions. Thank you.

<Edit> It should *not* address the running system at all. I will look at this later today.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 04 May 2011, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

puppyluvr

#53 Post by puppyluvr »

I have been running EZ-Lupu-5.25 in a Icepuppy `006 Frugal , which has countrywizard.qs, for several days...works fine...
Created the "5.29" kernel 2.6.38.4 Pup I am posting from ATM...
So nice, I believe this is my main O.S. for a while...
(A while aint too long in the Puppy world... :shock: )
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

playdayz

#54 Post by playdayz »

And maybe someone can share how best to get that base so that EZ WOOF would be a better fit for the Puppy future.
EZ-Woof-525 is very specific to Lucid. It will help people make Lucid variants. Once another Puppy reaches the maturity of Lucid, the developers *might* see fit to make an EZ-Woof for it, but for now, EZ-Woof-525 is what we've got.

Woof itself is the industrial strength Puppy maker.
(A while aint too long in the Puppy world... Shocked )
As I said in a previous message: One more thing: Lucid is based on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 which is a LTS (Long Term Support) release--for 2 more years, 3 years total, so Lucid Puppy might make some kind of contribution to the Puppy community for quite a while yet.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 04 May 2011, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#55 Post by playdayz »

puppyluvr, pemasu, gcmartin, After thinking, it wouldn't hurt to make an EZ-Woof-525V2--I think there could be a delta file to upgrade the original for a small download.

My question: Is there a version of the 2.6.38.x kernel that works correctly with audio in Lucid 5.2.5? To me that means correctly detecting and configuring all audio cards on the system. Or is there an iso based on 5.2.5 that does that, puppyluvr's "5.29" is one possibility. Thanks.

2byte

#56 Post by 2byte »

Does DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid have absolute control of the packages added to the build? The reason I ask is, I want to make a change to busybox, and I noticed that it exists in both /EZ-Woof-525/boot and /EZ-Woof-525/packages-lupu.
DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid has 'yes|busybox||exe,dev>null,doc,nls' so does this pull in busybox from packages-lupu, and does it overwrite the the busybox from /boot? Or do I need to modify busybox in both locations?

Just trying to understand how the puzzle pieces fit together. :?

pemasu

#57 Post by pemasu »

Reports have been that in Ice Puppy sound card detection has not been problem. Alsawizard working is something, that few has reported. It does not work for me. Retrovol, alsamixer works. Stu90 has made Lucid Lite 525 with 2.6.38.4. 100 Mb download. Test it. I understood that alsawizard aka alsaconf worked for stu90 and he has post regarding sound detection and persistence in his thread. Instructions also.

I made ez woof 525 build with 2.6.38.2. kernel. It needed that alsamixer-fix script because of those changed sound device locations. I havent tested with 2.6.38.4 kernel. People are so hasty, lol. I havent had time.

2.6.38.4 kernel is probably the one, I will stick on. I have puplished so far only one kernel for it which has core2 and up optimization. I have now also Intel Atom optimization kernel ready. Both are Highmem + PAE enabled and low latency kernels.

I will make also 2.6.38.4 486 optimized kernel without low latency (like lucid 2.6.33.2 kernel is), but due to time lag I have right now, it will be project within one week right now.

I wont change fundamentally anything now. Sound works.
More, it is debugging puppy scripts with possibly nonworking alsawizard and changed /dev/sound device locations. Stu90 uses alsamixer-fix which I posted in lucid 525 thread. And also have straigworking solution to the unmute at first boot. I am not that familiar with sound and booting time scripts. I dont need that script in Ice Puppy builds.

There are now 3 builds using these 2.6.38 kernels. Ice Puppy, Puppyluvr buiild and stu90 build. I think everyone can get best personal feeling downloading and trying them.

2.6.38 kernels have almost every usable module enabled regarding wlan, eth, sound, video, multimedia, also staging drivers.
Intel Atom gets its one dedicated kernel with keucr and acerhdf and Poulsbo enabled.

stu90

#58 Post by stu90 »

Now before any one says it, i know this is a complete amateur hour mess (nothing new there with me :lol: ) of a workaround for muted audio with 2.6.38.4 kernel on lucid puppy 525 - but it does work (well for me anyway) unmutes audio on first run and subsequent boots with save file with out having to run ALSA wizard - hopefully some one can translate it into a proper fix :)

It relies on the /var/lib/alsa/asound.state file and loading it at boot and saving it on shut down.

alsactl restore - to load
alsactl store - to save

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yon2uy0l3 ... fix.tar.gz

pemasu

#59 Post by pemasu »

Just tested playdayz uploaded alsa 1.0.24 package with stu90 muted sound fix with 2.6.38.4 Intel Atom optimization kernel in Ice Puppy. Both works. In playdayz package is 2 obsolete files in /etc/init.d/alsa-restore and alsa-store which are symlinks to upstart-job.

Some cleaning up or embedded location in working place and those stu90 scripts seems good start for unmuted sound at boot up and its persistence. Well, that problem has not bothered me before, but to get clean solution would be fine thing.

puppyluvr

#60 Post by puppyluvr »

In case anyone wants to give it a spin:

Built with EZWoof-5.25..
Using Kernel 2.6.38.4..

Lupu-529-2.6.38.4

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... 6.38.4.iso

# md5sum lupu-529-2.6.38.4.iso
05d8626bd7947b9cb02deb50f5ad3091
(Both the ISO and md5sum are @ my meownplanet link in my sig...U/N puppy P/W linux
Known issues:
Alsa...delete /etc/init.d/alsa and then run the attached script, (remove the .gz extension, added because you cannot upload a script..) then restart X...
Flash : Online Flash videos will not fullscreen, locks up X if you try...
Firefox 3.03 is installed, and in the menu, but not set as default browser...

This is a first cooking...use at your own risk...
4 days and many reboots later, and it remains stable for me...
ATM, alsa setup does not see my intel hda sound card, but I`ve had this issue with Pups B4, so feedback please...
But ATM, sound/retrovol work after alsa-fix is run...
A little "bug hunting" concerning alsa and Flash, and I think the 2.6.38.4 kernel would be superb for Puppy...

A bit over my head, but...
Playing with compiling 2.6.39-rc5...(Poorly..LOL)
Kernel support for initram.fs....
Could Puppy be embedded as a "module" into the kernel???
Instant boot anyone???
Attachments
alsamixer_fix.gz
(519 Bytes) Downloaded 444 times
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

playdayz

#61 Post by playdayz »

There are several things which hit almost simultaneously in your back yard. PAE, 525 update, sound, EZ WOOF! These are significant because of the hardware PCs that I thought Puppy 5+ was aimed at.....recent PCs. Barry is very clear that WARY is designed for the older PCs Everyone understands that FATDOG addresses 64but PCs, Puppy is for modern PCs.

What would be the BEST possible method of combining these into something that lets you walk away knowing that 99% of all PUP525 will be addressed everytime EZ-WOOF is engaged? Right now, this community doesn't have that. There is way too much work necessary to pull that together. For example, build the system then search and apply current updates, then fix the ... when you know.
Can a new PUP525 base be put together and made availabe with updates, simply using EZ-WOOF with an example by you as a testametnt to its ease of use and as an example?
That's the action question, isn't it? Answer. I can make an EZ-Woof-525 V2 with the Instant Update included *and* the capability to use an advanced kernel. as soon as I see a compatible advanced kernel built in Lucid 5.2.5 in EZ-Woof-525. One criterion of "compatible advanced kernel" is that everything works correctly on first boot, including audio, and it undergoes some testing to insure there are no obvious glitches--it will play video correctly on youtube and hulu just for instance.

<Add> Concerning the audio, all sound cards should be detected and configured.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 05 May 2011, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

puppyluvr

#62 Post by puppyluvr »

One criterion of "compatible advanced kernel" is that everything works correctly on first boot, including audio, and it undergoes some testing to insure there are no obvious glitches--it will play video correctly on youtube and hulu just for instance.
Agreed completely, and we are not there with 5.25 yet...
I am examining the differences between 5.25 and pemasu`s IcePuppy series, which work exceptionally well for something "R.H.E." as he put it... My 5.29 has the exact bugs you listed, but IcePuppy doesnt (except the alsa location bugs, which should be no problem)...Same kernel, different build...
Flash, ie youtube, escapes me as of yet...
Works fine at regular size, or in a popup....but fullscreen goes white, and renders my laptop unresponsive...
Only restarting X restores the desktop, and leaves firefox running as a zombie...killall wont...only pprocess will kill it..
Currently, testing with FF 3.03 and Flash 10...
Firefox`s "crash reporter" states it did not create a "dump"..
It must be flash...I will update FF and Flash, and try again...
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

stu90

#63 Post by stu90 »

I have been using pemasu's 2.6.38.4 kernel with lucid puppy 525 lite for a few days now other than minor bug already highlighted its been working well for me.

Currently using firefox 4 and flash http://smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.puppy.p ... .159.1.pet
I haven't encountered any problems with full screen flash on the sites i use like youtube, tvcatchup, seesaw.

puppyluvr

#64 Post by puppyluvr »

Currently rebuilding 5.29 with FF4 and flash built in...Will see if that corrects the problem....As for alsa, an easy fix Im sure....

Be back when the build finishes, or tomorrow...LOL...

Also building a T2 woof with 2.6.38.4....
Will post the results in the new "kernel testing" thread I started....
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

pemasu

#65 Post by pemasu »

2.6.38.4 kernel is still work under progress, testing and feedback.
2.6.38.2 kernel used in Ice Puppy-006 http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/KernelPe ... .2-lupe15/ is more tested overall about hardware detection.

2.6.38.4 will still go through new kernel compilations.

Just wanted to say that because of this fast speed in new builds.
I knew from before that progress in Puppy Community is quick, 2 months old build is called dinosaur, lol.