HOWTO stop puppy from saving when shutting down.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

Seaside that looks interesting yes. Sure I should try it.
I did test in snowpup5 that is a lupu511 named 513 and that one succeed when I corrected a spelling error that I typically made pmedia=ideflash

I added the puppy pupmode=13 on kernel line and it has now a red save button.
cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
says that I have 13 too.

Does that mean it has not 30 minutes but 0 in there where ever that where placed?

So now I have forgotten why we did all this. Okay so one can screw up an install and just reboot and the screw up is gone?
I am in snow5 and will install your SFS-Exec again.

Problems abound. I can not make the savfile a zl file due to snow already have a zl513357.sfs file for drivers.
So maybe I need to go to snow15 instead that one has no such zl drivers file.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

seaside

#17 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:Seaside that looks interesting yes. Sure I should try it.
I did test in snowpup5 that is a lupu511 named 513 and that one succeed when I corrected a spelling error that I typically made pmedia=ideflash

I added the puppy pupmode=13 on kernel line and it has now a red save button.
Nooby,

From my understanding of the boot initrd file coding, just adding pmedia=ideflash should set the puppy search for pup media files to look only at internal disks and then after it finds puppy files, the parameter of "pmedia=ideflash" defaults to "pupmode=13".

You can easily check, after booting, by typing in a terminal
"df" and see if it shows something like this-

Code: Select all

/dev/loop1               51727     27268     24459  53% /initrd/pup_ro1
which means the pupsave file is mounted on /initrd/pup_ro1 instead of "/initrd/pup_rw".

Great progress and now you perhaps can use the "SFS-Exec-pupsave" successfully :)

Regards,
s
(Some pups use a zdrive file for other purposes, so probably best to not use the zdrive method and just have a "locked" savefile of pupmode=13 which should work for all versions)

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

So I should take away the pupmode=13 then and test as you described.

Okay.

the SFS-Exec-pupsave how is that one different from the save there is there now then? I've already forgot. Okay I should read the original thread.

df gave this sh-4.1# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3 231506208 141588184 89918024 62% /initrd/mnt/dev_save
/dev/loop1 516040 56084 459956 11% /initrd/pup_ro1
tmpfs 512488 3392 509096 1% /initrd/pup_rw
/dev/loop0 234112 234112 0 100% /initrd/pup_ro2
unionfs 512488 3392 509096 1% /
shmfs 238716 12 238704 1% /dev/shm
sh-4.1#

"SFS-Exec-pupsave" did not work, I even restared x and nothing show up. Should it not have even two save buttons as I remember.

I edit out the pupmode=13 now and see what gives

seaside

#19 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:So I should take away the pupmode=13 then and test as you described.

Yes

the SFS-Exec-pupsave how is that one different from the save there is there now then? I've already forgot. Okay I should read the original thread.

The save icon that appears after boot is the original that does a simple save to the pupsave file. (You should remove this if you install "SFS-Exec-pupsave".)

When "SFS-Exec-pupsave" is installed, it creates it's own icon and script to "unlock", save, and "lock" the pupsave file.

Regards,
s

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Unfortunately this did not happen
When "SFS-Exec-pupsave" is installed, it creates it's own icon and script to "unlock", save, and "lock" the pupsave file.

and also I lost symlinks to a lot of files I usually have on desktop and it acted strangely so I gave up on it for today. I maybe test Quirky 142 tomorrow but not on snow 15 anymore.

Late at night here so I turn in now will go buy shoes for the summer tomorrow :)

nooby

#21 Post by nooby »

Quirky 142 are different. Despite me had both pmedia=ideflash and pupmode=13 it stayed in pupmode 5 and refused to get into mode 13

now to bed

seaside

#22 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:Quirky 142 are different. Despite me had both pmedia=ideflash and pupmode=13 it stayed in pupmode 5 and refused to get into mode 13

now to bed
Nooby,

Great work you've done here.

So as I understand, you found that (except for Quirky 142), a frugal install to a harddisk will boot puppy to pupmode=13 and

Code: Select all

/dev/loop1               51727     27268     24459  53% /initrd/pup_ro1
using "pmedia=ideflash" only (I don't think puppy accepts "pupmodes" as boot parameters)

A very fruitful day :)

Regards,
s

greengeek

#23 Post by greengeek »

Hi bilko,
I just wanted to advise that your method works perfectly on ThinSlacko 5.3.3t. I have been trialling all the other methods I could find on the forum and had many different versions of x hangs or system hangs during shutdown, however your simple script kills everything real quick and clean.

I seem to get no error messages during boot, so I am very pleased about that. I do have pfix=fsck in the boot config just in case anything odd happens, but all good so far. Real timesaver.

On this particular usb stick frugal installation I have not disabled the default periodic pupsave, so normal usage is captured eventually, However, if I accidentally make some system change that I regret, or just need to shutdown in a hurry and pack up, your script works perfectly. Thanks!

greengeek

Re: HOWTO stop puppy from saving when shutting down.

#24 Post by greengeek »

bilko1808 wrote:Right click poweroff file >>> Set Icon, get a suitable Icon for it.
Drag it to your desktop to create a link to it.
I love this "urgent shutdown" function so much I even made my own icon for it. I'm sure there are others with better icon-making skills than me, but hey, this is my best work so far...
:-)
I chose this icon to remind me that actions like urgent shutdowns carry an element of risk.
But, so far so good...

(except that it turns out that the icon isn't much use on a dark coloured desktop)
Attachments
PowerdownSkull48.png
(357 Bytes) Downloaded 718 times