Run As The Root User Account

For discussions about security.
jpeps

#31 Post by jpeps »

SimpleWater wrote:
jpeps wrote:BTW/ I once DID wipe out an entire partition with rm -r * accidentally. I think it was very late, and I thought I was inside a directory. It happens fairly quickly. It can also happen from within a script if something screws up. In that case, not being in root could really be a blessing.
If using pwd or ls is too much for you, you should consider editing your .bashrc to include your current working directory,
It happened from within a script I was testing. When doing a lot of programing, the chances of screwing things up increases substantially.

SimpleWater

#32 Post by SimpleWater »

Lobster wrote:
If using pwd or ls is too much for you
Do not underestimate the unreasonable capacities of some users . . .
http://clientsfromhell.net/post/4963761 ... -client-is
sounds like my parents :lol:

jpeps, just try and be careful. I have yet to see how it can happen, but then again i have a hard time relating since i know little about programming.

jpeps

#33 Post by jpeps »

SimpleWater wrote:
jpeps, just try and be careful. I have yet to see how it can happen, but then again i have a hard time relating since i know little about programming.
Linux has evolved via many thousands of users over the years, and there's a reason for most things, such as use of permissions, read-only options, etc., that may not be immediately transparent. Having the correct tools available is precisely the way to "be careful"....that's the point.

Mechanic_Kharkov

#34 Post by Mechanic_Kharkov »

Hail a holy war! :-)
I agree that if you're programming then there is much more possibilities for you to break the system down. The closer you are to ring0 the closer system crash is. It's mostly about drivers only, but even ring3 progz can hardly damage the system in test runs if being improperly designed.
As for me, I never run as Administrator@Win* or root@*nix if it is not really required. Especially in Windows.
Puppy is running under root by default and there is not much possibly damage if things would go wrong here - it's entirely in RAM, so I don't mean. But if system is on hdd then being a non-root becomes very actual.

And Yes, I really believe that I personally never type a command that will kill my system in command prompt,
.. but I really can't know what will do the prog that I run first time if it is written by somebody else, not me!
[color=brown][size=75][i]Let's digitize the world to re-compile it to better suit our own needs![/i][/size][/color]