Installed fprot anti virus has no menu entry <solved>

Booting, installing, newbie
sfeeley

Installed fprot anti virus has no menu entry <solved>

#1 Post by sfeeley »

I am using lupu 5.2 on a sony laptop 520ish ram. running off cd, save file on harddrive.

I recently installed lupu 5.2 successfully. I want to install an antivirus program to scan some questionable flash drives.

I used the package manager to install fprot-6-lucid.
it claimed that I had all the correct dependencies and libraries. Plus, the package manager shows that it is installed.

But I can't find the program in any of the menus? Am I just not looking in the right spot?

I rebooted the computer several times to see if that would make a difference-no luck.

thanks for suggestions.

[/img]
Last edited by sfeeley on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#2 Post by pemasu »

kevincz

console

#3 Post by kevincz »

thats nice that you run it from the console, but where is the console?

Hogweed

Re: console

#4 Post by Hogweed »

kevincz wrote:thats nice that you run it from the console, but where is the console?
Err, behind the icon marked "console" on the screen.

kevincz

console

#5 Post by kevincz »

when I click on console I only have a # nothing else. What command do I put in there? Sorry I am so obtuse but dont know what to do. When I read the other beginners manuals on how to do things its all greek to me.

retry3

#6 Post by retry3 »

@kevincz

This is the greatest stumbling block in trying to use Puppy and all other linux OS.s. I still haven't figured it out past a primitive level and am afraid of misleading you if I offered advice on how to do it.

Some preliminary info that you may need, as I did, is that the "console" screen is also called a "terminal" sometimes and also known as a "CLI", which stands for Command Line Interface" as contrasted with the "GUI" the acronym for "Graphic User Interface".

It boils down to the fact that it is practically mandatory that you will have to learn what is meant by a "command" and "argument" and in what order they can/should be entered on that line that starts with the "#". I personally think of this as syntax and find it is pretty arcane and it took a lot of examples before I could make some sense of it.

They call that # the "prompt", I think, and you type in the command that will get you on the way to the result you want. I believe that line of type that you enter is called the "command line". There are thousands of commands, many that seem cryptic and confusing but each one has a definition that can be found in what are called the Manual Pages, or "man".

I hope this is of some help at least to let you know you are not alone and have a learning curve ahead of you.

I also hope to be educated by the generous puppians who will also respond to your post.

Good luck, retry3

sfeeley

#7 Post by sfeeley »

@kevincz

No offense intended, but it might help keep things organized if you keep your postings on this issue on your same original thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64866

That way folks trying to help can figure out what steps you have taken.

That said, here's a bit of help with the link pemasu posted earlier
Launch from /opt/f-prot/install-f-prot.pl (in terminal) and it makes symlinks to use it from terminal straight.
Works fine. Even better from commandline than using XF-Prot GUI. Use it to check viruses and trojans in windows files.

Usage: fpscan --disinfect (--deleteall) /mnt/sd**. Use --deleteall with care and it needs --disinfect option also with it. Fpscan -h for more options and description.

Updating virus definition database: /opt/f-prot/fpupdate. It makes also entry to crontab to update periodically every 25 minutes if there is something to update.
Translation. Click through the folders /opt/f-prot .
Click f-prot.pl in that folder

wait a bit ( you may want to reboot after waiting )

click the console. A screen will open with #
There type fpscan -h
It should pull up a list of commands and options about how to scan your computer. You will have to type these commands to run them

the basic command for scanning is fpscan --disinfect /mnt/sd**

the sd** above refers to the drive you want to scan. Look at the drive icons on the bottom left of your screen and see how they are labeled

You will probably also want to make sure your virus definitions are up to date. As before, click through the folders /opt/f-prot and click fpupdate

Truth be told, I'm not a commandline sort of guy. I stumbled a bunch and evenutally I ended up switching to another antivirus when I needed it. I can't remember which, but the other link I provided earlier on the other thread, provides other user suggestions.

This makes me laugh since this was once my thread asking for help, now I"m offering the advice. I guess what goes around . . .

A few later edits:
You will probably also want to make sure your virus definitions are up to date. As before, click through the folders /opt/f-prot and click fpupdate
I don't think you have to do anything actually--in the documentation it looks like fprot is supposed to update itself automatically, but I could be wrong. I do know that clicking fpupdate or typing that into a console doesn't do anything.
Click through the folders /opt/f-prot .
Click f-prot.pl in that folder

wait a bit ( you may want to reboot after waiting )
I don't think you need to click this. just type "fpscan" into a console
Last edited by sfeeley on Fri 25 Feb 2011, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

kevincz

an answer finally

#8 Post by kevincz »

Thanks so very much. That simple explanation of command line stuff will help.

ragaman

#9 Post by ragaman »

I know this is old and marked "solved" but how about installing the GUI frontend of fprot which is Xfprot. There's a pet lying in this forum somewhere.