Foreign address 50.56.84.181 (Mystery resolved)

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
Eldon

#16 Post by Eldon »

[quote="CLAM01"]To answer the question asked in this thread, "Who is Major Hayden? ", here is a recent quote by now General Hayden:

[““As an intelligence professional, I stand back in absolute awe and wonderment at the Chinese espionage effort against the United States of America,

rackerhacker

#17 Post by rackerhacker »

I'm Major Hayden and I operate icanhazip.com. The purpose of the site is to allow people to find their external IPv4/IPv6 address with zero advertisements, cookies, or tracking of any kind. I work for a pretty large hosting company and I'm able to provide the service to people free of charge.

It sounds like Puppy Linux has been updated to query my site to figure out the external IP address of machines running Puppy Linux. I didn't make that change and I didn't have any input on the change.

With that said, I have absolutely no issues with Puppy Linux using my site and I welcome any other questions or comments you have about icanhazip.com.

As an aside, you should know that:
  • neither of my parents have Hayden as their last name
  • I have zero affiliations with any government agencies (I work for a large hosting provider)
  • I welcome any comments or questions that you have
You can find me on freenode as 'rackerhacker' if you want to get in touch.

Eldon

#18 Post by Eldon »

Haha!

Seeing as you've only joined today and made 3 posts on the forum, I can't help but wonder how you got here.
Were your ears burning?

Or did your CIA pals tip you off that your cover was blown? :lol: :P

rackerhacker

#19 Post by rackerhacker »

Eldon wrote:Haha!

Seeing as you've only joined today and made 3 posts on the forum, I can't help but wonder how you got here.
Were your ears burning?

Or did your CIA pals tip you off that your cover was blown? :lol: :P
Google Alerts.

If you care about your own personal security and the credibility of your reputation, you really ought to set up Google Alerts for your full name and any forum/IRC/IM handles that you regularly use. It helps you find forum threads like these which exist to drag your name through the mud.

Terryphi

#20 Post by Terryphi »

Thanks for dropping in rackerhacker to put the record straight and your more detailed reply at http://rackerhacker.com/2012/08/04/priv ... hazip-com/ . Be assured that the Puppy community is not made up entirely of paranoid conspiracy theorists.

Your link to the Onion should keep them happy for a while :

http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-face ... cos,19753/
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

rackerhacker

#21 Post by rackerhacker »

Terryphi wrote:Thanks for dropping in rackerhacker to put the record straight and your more detailed reply at http://rackerhacker.com/2012/08/04/priv ... hazip-com/ . Be assured that the Puppy community is not made up entirely of paranoid conspiracy theorists.
I figured as much.
Terryphi wrote:Your link to the Onion should keep them happy for a while:

http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-face ... cos,19753/
The scariest thing about that video is that it could easily be true. ;)

Eldon

#22 Post by Eldon »

rackerhacker wrote: The scariest thing about that video is that it could easily be true.
Google Alerts- so it was the NSA.

Actually, the scariest thing is that it IS true.

I happen to know a guy that does background checks on people that apply for government jobs. He has a badge and everything.

He admits that 80% of his job is just looking at their facebook page. Seriously.

Every time you google something or publish something, the web is indexing real stuff; from the flow of merchandise to political gatherings and all sorts of social and behavioral data.

You are essentially providing information that is most useful to those that would attack or enslave you, rather than protect you. Even if they just know demographics, they know how the herd responds, and it allows them to manipulate and herd you in many ways.

For instance, they can predict how people respond to a message, and tailor it so you respond favorably. So instead of talking about how we inflict "cruel and unusual punishment" which is clearly illegal, they debate whether or not it's torture, to keep you from demanding the law be upheld regardless of international law against torture.

Ted Dog

#23 Post by Ted Dog »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=15

Noticed it on the mele version, contacted host provider and was rudely rejected this IP is covered by some security protocol and you can't even complain, May do so in person, this host HQ is local to me!

Eldon

#24 Post by Eldon »

Well that's not surprising. I mean, the hosting provider is probably doing their job by not disclosing stuff about customers. "MajorHayden" of rackerhacker is here in Texas.

As has been stated on other threads, Puppy has been built with networking stuff that pings his site to confirm that your connection is working. It just stays connected- but doesn't seem to transfer much of anything afaik.

Atle

#25 Post by Atle »

Would it be possible to get easy in control of Puppy Linux, given there is not set a strong password and uses the default live or even installing it?

Assuming that users never MAKES a strong password for the root account.

Its not given any advice on this as seems to be important in other distroes, whereas one usually sets a passwords at during installation.

Should setting a password been a part of the first boot window in order to protect your computer more safe?

Or asked another way... Can this "foreign address" somehow connect to your computer if your IP address is of a list of interest?

That said... I do not take a stand on this specific address 50.56.84.181, but more in general...

greengeek

#26 Post by greengeek »

01micko wrote:see /usr/sbin/ipinfo
This has been discussed many times. If you don't like it remove it.
Hi micko, your comment implies that the ipinfo file is readable as a text file but on pemasus upup raring 3992 the file is not readable. (It has the same sort of icon as something like libflashplayer.so does...). Were you implying I could just remove the ipinfo file and the problem will go away?

And isnt ipinfo the actual script that displays the connection info? If I were to remove that file how would I know what connections were being made? Is there another way?

anikin

#27 Post by anikin »

greengeek wrote:but on pemasus upup raring 3992 the file is not readable
It is readable/writable on all puppies - just right-click and open it as text. Remove/comment out the offending line (#23):

Code: Select all

var0="`wget -O - -q icanhazip.com`"

greengeek

#28 Post by greengeek »

anikin wrote: It is readable/writable on all puppies
Ooops, my bad. I didn't look closely enough. I was looking at lpinfo, not Ipinfo

Thanks!
Attachments
ipinfo_icon.jpg
(9.83 KiB) Downloaded 585 times