firewall useless for puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
Semme

#181 Post by Semme »

Samba.. Do you share a connection with other computers in your household?

Does *htop* show it as running? Otherwise >> ps -aux

For Arno's >> iptables -L

LOTS rtn'd..

==

Now because of translation, it's better you ask your ISP if such a configuration page exists.
Attachments
my-isps-advanced-config.jpg
(17.75 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Scooby

#182 Post by Scooby »

Semme wrote:Samba.. Do you share a connection with other computers in your household?
Nope
Semme wrote: Does *htop* show it as running? Otherwise >> ps -aux
Nope

I tried with a different ISP over wlan with the same config
and now shieldsup showed a different set of ports as closed
,https and ssh, so for sure ISP

I am allright with it now, thanks for your help

8Geee

#183 Post by 8Geee »

This older thread seemed to be appropriate, sorry for digging it up.

One of the things I've encountered along the way is the combination of modem/router and ISP before the Firewallstate pup. A recent case occured for me when ShieldsUp discovered ports 0 and 1 closed rather than stealthed. Of course being two years since last tinkered, I forgot my access PSWD, and had to reset the M/R. So a correct setup reveals that my ISP wants my creds established again. In the meantime I notice that ALL ports arre closed except 21, 22, 23, 80, and 443 (stealthed). So my ISP is not a shall we say good neighbor, but does stealth the basic 5 used ports: the other 65530 are closed.

I don't expect too much from M/R manufacturers in terms of help, but I went to mine, and their webpages. Buried in there is the way to stealth "all" ports by using a DMZ and pointing to a particular address. I did this, and not "all" ports were stealthed. It seems 0 and 1 are closed, and the remainder are indeed stealthed according to grc_com. So just a note here that my M/R manufacturer forced me to go on-line with these 65530 ports "closed" to obtain the secret code to get all but two of them stealthed.

That brings me finally to firewallstate in puppy Slacko-5.7 nonpae, and my purpose... Does it stealth ports 1 and 0?
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."