Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 04:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Skype static 2.2.0.35 [SFS]
Page 3 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
drtank

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec 2011, 14:27    Post subject:  

Terryphi wrote:
You could try downloading my SFS ( see first post). Replace the SFS in /mnt/home with the new one. Select the new SFS in boot manager and reboot. Hopefully, you will have a menu item for Skype. Then you will need to configure the mixer for your microphone and webcam (if you have one).

Ok. Downloading it and let u know.
and by-the way Puppy is terrific !
drtank

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2011, 06:22    Post subject:  

drtank wrote:
Terryphi wrote:
You could try downloading my SFS ( see first post). Replace the SFS in /mnt/home with the new one. Select the new SFS in boot manager and reboot. Hopefully, you will have a menu item for Skype. Then you will need to configure the mixer for your microphone and webcam (if you have one).

Ok. Downloading it and let u know.
and by-the way Puppy is terrific !

WORKED Thanks a lot.....
i'll stick to puppy for now!!!!
thanks once again!!
one more problem.... i played with audio settings and now audio gone. Sad
even the speaker display at right end corner is gone..
tried ALSA sound wizard but not working.. any way to revert back to original setting.
regards
Terryphi

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2011, 06:52    Post subject:  

drtank,

Glad it works for you. Setting sound mixer for Skype can be a pain. Type alsamixer at the terminal. This will bring up alsamixer settings. Turn on and adjust everything you need, particularly microphone front or rear depending on which you are using. Some settings are out of view so arrow right to see them all. If you allow Skype to adjust mixer settings it will do this when you make a test call. Sound can be inaudible or so loud that it distorts.

If you are using a version of Puppy that uses retrovol you probably will have to use that to adjust settings. (Right click on speaker icon in bottom bar and select "Full Window".) You can also bring it up by typing retrovol at terminal. Good luck!

drtank

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2011, 07:07    Post subject:  

Terryphi wrote:
drtank,

Glad it works for you. Setting sound mixer for Skype can be a pain. Type alsamixer at the terminal. This will bring up alsamixer settings. Turn on and adjust everything you need, particularly microphone front or rear depending on which you are using. Some settings are out of view so arrow right to see them all. If you allow Skype to adjust mixer settings it will do this when you make a test call. Sound can be inaudible or so loud that it distorts.

If you are using a version of Puppy that uses retrovol you probably will have to use that to adjust settings. (Right click on speaker icon in bottom bar and select "Full Window".) You can also bring it up by typing retrovol at terminal. Good luck!

on typing alsamixer in ROXTerm it says:
sh-4.1# alsamixer
ALSA lib conf.c:1016:(parse_value) card is not a string
ALSA lib conf.c:1685:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:2:20:Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3467:(snd_config_hook_load) /etc/asound.conf may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:3326:(snd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3713:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration
cannot open mixer: Invalid argument
sh-4.1#

and the Speaker icon is also missing...
now what should i do?
Terryphi

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2011, 07:34    Post subject:  

drtank,

It looks to me that you need to re-run the Alsa Sound Wizard. The errors may arise because Alsa cannot see your sound card. Try rebooting before you do it.

If that does work you could try deleting the file /etc/asound.conf as one of the errors suggest. However, I do not have that file on my system!

drtank

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:53    Post subject:  

Terryphi wrote:
drtank,

It looks to me that you need to re-run the Alsa Sound Wizard. The errors may arise because Alsa cannot see your sound card. Try rebooting before you do it.

If that does work you could try deleting the file /etc/asound.conf as one of the errors suggest. However, I do not have that file on my system!

Audio restored...
and the best part i am not missing windows.
thanks

regards
n0ukf

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb 2012, 20:37    Post subject:  

Terryphi wrote:
You could try downloading my SFS ( see first post). Replace the SFS in /mnt/home with the new one. Select the new SFS in boot manager and reboot. Hopefully, you will have a menu item for Skype.

I downloaded then moved it to /mnt/home, tried to add it in Boot Manager but it reported that there is no sfs to add (both Skype and Libre Office are in that folder and Libre works).

Asus Eee 900, Lucid 528

Terryphi

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb 2012, 02:30    Post subject:  

n0ukf,

I presume you have a frugal install. Maybe your download was corrupted. Have you checked the md5sum ?

n0ukf

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb 2012, 04:37    Post subject:  

No. How?

Opening the sfs (archive?)folder, I can click the executable to run Skype and log in, but the Boot Manager doesn't see the sfs to choose it.
Quote:
Sorry, there are no SFS files in directory /mnt/home (or they all have the wrong '*_xxx.sfs' version number) You will need to download and place one there first.

Yes, it is there!

Terryphi

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb 2012, 05:56    Post subject:  

n0ukf wrote:
No. How?

Opening the sfs (archive?)folder, I can click the executable to run Skype and log in, but the Boot Manager doesn't see the sfs to choose it.
Quote:
Sorry, there are no SFS files in directory /mnt/home (or they all have the wrong '*_xxx.sfs' version number) You will need to download and place one there first.

Yes, it is there!

You have to reboot after selecting the SFS in Boot Manager.

n0ukf

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb 2012, 06:06    Post subject:  

Boot Manager can't find the SFS to select it.
Terryphi

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb 2012, 07:36    Post subject:  

n0ukf wrote:
Boot Manager can't find the SFS to select it.

Are you using a frugal (not hard disk) install? My instructions to put the SFS in /mnt/home are for a frugal install.

n0ukf

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb 2012, 09:26    Post subject:  

What then for the full (or whatever) install?

Last edited by n0ukf on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 09:47; edited 2 times in total
Terryphi

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb 2012, 09:45    Post subject:  

n0ukf wrote:
What then for the full (or whatever) install?

SFS files are intended for frugal installs. If you have a full install the process is more complicated and you cannot use the Boot Manager to add or remove SFS files. I only use frugal installs so I have no experience of a full install. However, I believe you have to open/extract the SFS and manually copy the files to the appropriate directories. You will need to keep a record of what you have done in case you subsequently want to remove them.

darkstrike

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012, 19:37    Post subject:  

Hi folks,

I've been looking for a half hour or so but can't find a .pet installer for this Skype version - I have some webcam issues that I want to see if a newer version will fix.

I know this thread is for the .sfs file for frugal installs, but I am running a full install of Lucid 5.2.8 on my machine and was looking for the .pet? Could anybody kindly direct me in it's general direction if such a thing exists? Razz
Page 3 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: