Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 02:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
"welp" for help - a sfs to be rw not ro \ installs into it?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
scsijon

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr 2011, 21:23    Post subject:  "welp" for help - a sfs to be rw not ro \ installs into it?  

I'm not a programmer although I can script a bit, and would like a bit Embarassed lot of help please!

This is for my Puppy58 concept.

Having first learn't how woof works (sort of \ enough anyway) thanks to playdayz and 01micko getting me though the first stages.

Having proven the first step of the concept by moving the standard set of user applications from the puppy.sfs and into their own apps.sfs works without degridation (including stu using the apps.sfs for puppy525lite so proving it definately works), it's on to the next which after nearly a month of trying to work out 'how, where, uH', i've realized i'm well out of my depth.

Thus this "welp" for help.

I'd like to be able to do two things:

1. Have a newapps.sfs (hidden ?sfspartitionfile?) loaded as readwrite, rather than as is usually set readonly as is via the bootmanager. Maybe even dynamic in size if possible so it grows as needed?

2. A trap added to puppy so that anything installed either directly (by clicking on the pet, etc) or via the ppm \ quickpet scripts gets installed into this newapps.sfs instead of the savefile area. Queery would be configs, but as they are usually under /root make that the savefile only directory of an install.There would also be the need to remove, but as that is usually via the ppm, hopefully not that hard to add.

The idea is to have only user configs and data in the savefile, not apps, hopefully making the savefile more portable plus easier and quicker to save (think of a dynamic savefile) due to size.

If this step can be done satisfactorally, I have a working concept and Puppy 58 will proceed as planned, if not it will go into abayance until I work out a replacement concept.

Hope i've explained myself enough.

thanks
scsijon
damn typos changing meanings

Last edited by scsijon on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 22:42; edited 1 time in total
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr 2011, 03:57    Post subject:  

scsijon wrote:
The idea is to have only user configs and data in the savefile, not apps, hopefully making the savefile more portable plus easier and quicker to save (think of a dynamic savefile) due to size.
I restrict my save file to configs only, no apps AND no data.
So I work with a minimal save file of 32MB.

But the idea of having a kinda dynamic r/w sfs is certainly interesting.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
amigo

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 12:39    Post subject:  

squashfs is read-only since it is an *image*. What you are wanting is a compressed read-write file system. ext4 now supports compression and I think btrfs does also. Otherwise, an older alternative is using jffs2, but it is *very* slow to mount. There is a non-standard e2-comp/e3-comp (needs a patched kernel and patched e2fsprogs and patched findutils).
scsijon

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr 2011, 22:30    Post subject:  

Thanks Beem and Amigo for your replys.

For Beem, where do you keep your data then?

From Amigo's responses, the following thoughts appear.

In the case of it being an image only and therefore can only be seen as readonly, what about it being readonly for use, but readwrite for the addition of new pets?

Considering maybe using the createsfs script. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38432

Could you have ppm output the pet through pet2sfs into an existing newapps.sfs that is already loaded instead of installing to the savefile?

How would we capture a non-ppm pet to add rather than install in the savefile?

hmm

Maybe the way is to ?subset a compressed read-write file system, appearing as a file as sfs does, not sure it can be done, will research further, but if so that would do for now, may defeat the purpose of the planned idea though as it would allow the swapfile itself to be a compressed file. Much more research will be needed I think for this fork!
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 07:44    Post subject:  

I keep my data outside the save file.
I have an external USB HDD, which I have partitioned for different functionality.
f.e. documents, video and music go on a ntfs partition, so I can share it if I connect the HDD to a Windows sytem.
Download for programs, ISO's go on another partition, ext3.

On /mnt/home I have applications installed, so they are available for other flavors of puppy.

I try to convert pet's to sfs, so I load those when I want extra programs.

Config info in /root is symlinked to the config info on /mnt/home, so as to limit as much as possible the growth of the save file.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
cradam

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2011, 08:12    Post subject:  

With the new feature coming in 5.3 with infinite sfs's able to be loaded could you make a script which converts any pets you download to sfs as you install
they would still be ro but you wouldnt fill up your save file

EDIT: one problem with my idea is the need to reboot when you install a program Confused
nooby

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2011, 09:05    Post subject:  

nope you don't have to reboot if you use Seaside's way of doing it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64587
He has a thread named Sfs-Exec and there he has a small pet and you install that one and then you can load and unload sfs and they don't end up in pupsave but they can leave personal settings that end up in root .mozilla and such but not the sfs as such.

Look for his thread. I use it now and one only need the disciplin to unload the sfs when one want to reboot to something else.
Very fast almost instantly loading.

cradam wrote:
With the new feature coming in 5.3 with infinite sfs's able to be loaded could you make a script which converts any pets you download to sfs as you install
they would still be ro but you wouldnt fill up your save file

EDIT: one problem with my idea is the need to reboot when you install a program Confused

You know computers better than what I do so take the following with a smile please Smile

I feel unsure about the way you say install. If you install the pet and then convert it to sfs for to load later then the install makes it go into pupsave.

so what you most likely intended to say was to download the pet and make a sfs out of it and then load that sfs and never install it or maybe I use the words confusingly.

Last edited by nooby on Sat 23 Apr 2011, 11:02; edited 1 time in total
Béèm

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2011, 10:42    Post subject:  

cradam wrote:
Probably restarting X is sufficient. I am using this load sfs on the fly and it doesn't need always a restart of X.
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: