test SimplePup, a puppy derivative

Using applications, configuring, problems
timcriger

#46 Post by timcriger »

thanks pizzasgood, for the help.

about ram size check at bootup:
what i need to change in simplepup to have it check for enough ram before loading usr_cram.fs ??
is it simply a change in /root0/etc/ramdisksize ??
and what size should i set it at? (usr_cram.fs is 73 MB alone)

thanks,
tim

Pizzasgood

#47 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hmm... Well, the only things I've ever changed were /etc/ramdisksize and the segment of isolinux.cfg that stores the size. I don't know what program you're using to remaster, and even if I did I probably wouldn't know where it tells you the correct size. If you changed isolinux.cfg to put the correct size (or if the script told you to), that is the size you should put in /etc/ramdisksize. Otherwise, you need to take the sizes of things to figure it out. I don't remember exactly what at the moment, but I'll go check now.

EDIT: Also, /etc/sizeusrcram needs stuff.
EDIT2: I was mistaken. It's /etc/ramdiskfssize, not /etc/ramdisksize
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Tue 14 Mar 2006, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Pizzasgood

#48 Post by Pizzasgood »

You need to get the size of usr_cram.fs and put it in /root0/.etc/sizeusrcram
Assuming you have the image.gz mounted at /mnt/image and writable, and usr_cram.fs at /root/tmp/usr_cram.fs (these paths can be changed, just alter them),

Code: Select all

SIZEUSRCRAM="`ls -l /root/tmp/usr_cram.fs | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 5 -d ' '`"
echo -n "$SIZEUSRCRAM" > /mnt/image/root0/.etc/sizeusrcram
should do the trick.

Next, you need the size of the image. Under the same conditions as above,

Code: Select all

IMAGEUSED=`du -ks /mnt/image | cut -f 1`
IMAGESIZE=`expr $IMAGEUSED + 448`
echo "Calculating the new ramdisk size... $IMAGESIZE Kbytes."
echo -n "$IMAGESIZE" > /mnt/image/root0/.etc/ramdiskfssize
will set the /root0/.etc/ramdiskfssize for you. You need to add it to isolinux.cfg on your own, though. Just add the parameter ramdisk_size=XXXXXXX in the line with initrd= and pfile= and such.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

timcriger

#49 Post by timcriger »

thanks pizzasgood,
i'll incorporate this fix and any others from the next few days and post a new SimplePup by the weekend.
--tim

slvrldy17

Linking Image viewer to Thunderbird

#50 Post by slvrldy17 »

Tim,
In addition to giving the save file its own unique name there is one thing I would ask for. When you click on a document file attachment in an e-mail in Thunderbird you get a dialog box asking if you want to open the attachment with the default viewer in this case Abiword. Can you arrange the same kind of link so that an image file attachment can be opened with GQview? In the Edit> preferences>filtering>file types pane it shows all the normal image file types that may come in an e-mail attachment - if GQview can be made the default viewer for these it would add a degree of functionality that folks coming from Windows are used to and would look for. In Windows the equivalent is the Picture and Fax Viewer - I've never used the fax capability but the image/picture viewer is something I use darn near every day.

One other piece of advice - Take your time and don't rush getting an update out - better that you take your time and get it right - There is NO deadline on your part. You have done a beautiful job of bringing together the work that you rightly credit to others. Do them justice by taking the time to get your own ducks in a row. Thus endeth the sermon.

Thanks,

Alice

Fossil

Wine emulation under Simple Pup

#51 Post by Fossil »

Hi,

Once again I've been experimenting with Simple Puppy. This time, the non-emulator Wine came under scrutiny. One thing that Linux does lack is a good small astronomy program. Yes, there is Celestia, but that is quite large. As for Kstars, I guess that it would require too many dependencies for Puppy. With regard to satellite tracking, there is Predict, which is in the form of a tabulated time form-sheet. Other than that, I could not find anything to fit my requirements.
So Wine might prove to be the answer. using what programs I already have installed, I tried it out. These two worked first time.

Both ran smoothly under Wine on my old Pentium 333, with 256 Megs RAM.
For anyone interested in the night sky, I'd say, give them a go.

I've included a screenshot taken with Mtpaint. Starcalc's interior appears transparent, showing Orbitron in the background. This is not the case when the programs are running. I guess it is an artifact of the screen capture.

STARCALC 5.72
An astronomy planetarium and map program for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP.
This program is small and light. It runs smoothly and is easy for the novice astronomer.

Orbitron 3.70. *satellite tracking system for everyone*
On start-up, a warning box will appear. 'This application has requested an ActiveX object, but the Mozilla Active X control is currently not installed. Do you wish to download and install it?'
Answer: 'No'.
The full screen view of Orbitron will then appear. It runs very smoothly on my old box.

Just a thought, but if someone could please make a Dotpup of Predict, or any other astronomy/satellite forecast program, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Fossil
Attachments
Wine_Orbitron_Starcalc-19-03-06_800.jpg
Wine emulator under SImple Pup, running Window's astronomy & satellite tracking programs.
(67.36 KiB) Downloaded 669 times

babbs

#52 Post by babbs »

I'm sorry for being absent most of this week. Family emergency.

SimplePup-0.3.1 has been posted to:
ftp://puppyfiles.us/pub/releases/simplepup/