Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Jul 2014, 16:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
unetbootin puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
slixz85

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr 2011, 14:09    Post_subject:  unetbootin puppy
Sub_title: can unetbootin be installed on puppy

hi. i mainly used ubuntu before and used to opening debian files. i dont know how puppy linux works with installing stuff. i am trying to burn an iso file to flash drive. tryin to check out fluppy actually someone suggest it for network usage because i cant find drivers for wifi anywhere. but aside from that point even if fluppy doesnt make the wifi on this work i am needing to install regular puppy linux to a flash drive but the flash drive maker that puppy linux has built in doesnt work right for me. unetbootin has always worked but used it in ubuntu.

after puppy burns itself to the flash drive, i restart the computer and the bios screen keeps flashin, the drive makes it restart the computer over and over. i tried to used usb zip format also and no luck, the screen just turns black and sits there.

thanks to any help
slixz85

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr 2011, 16:36    Post_subject:  

?
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr 2011, 17:01    Post_subject:  

What do you mean by burning to a flash drive?
Iso's are burned to a CD or DVD.
No wonder you have no answer yet.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Shep

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr 2011, 01:27    Post_subject:  

MENU > Setup > Puppy Universal Installer
slixz85

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr 2011, 21:23    Post_subject:  

thanks to your replies. all iso's dont have to be burned to cd/dvd. i have been using a live usb drive with puppy live iso installed to it right now and unfortunately i cant use the universal installer that shep said to use. it seems to freeze, but in ubuntu unetbootin never had any issues.

the puppy universal installer only copies the puppy iso anyway. i am trying to setup another usb with another iso file

definitely need to figure out how to burn another iso to the usb drive but just as said unetbootin does it fine for me in ubuntu and what not but i dont have that installed anymore. the hard drive is broke in laptop and using usb live iso right now to use internet to get monies worth.
i am not getting a new hard drive for about 2months.

so far this 2gb flash drive is of course too small to use for few months til new drive is bought so i have an 8gb drive so that i can have plenty temporary free space.
starhawk

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr 2011, 21:55    Post_subject:  

Fluppy also comes as a *.zip archive for use with USB drives, IIRC.
nooby

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 00:27    Post_subject:  

Béèm wrote:
What do you mean by burning to a flash drive?
Iso's are burned to a CD or DVD.
No wonder you have no answer yet.

Beem if one read the OP as he intended then only a newbie would fail to get what he mean by burning.

Yeah I know the optical medium has a thin layer of metal and the LASER "burn" a darker spot there and that is read later with a less strong LASER and so on. That is why it is named "Burn a CD" but he use the word in a metaphoric way.

What would the proper word be? Install the iso in a bootable form on the USB Flash medium.

No need to be that formal in this forum is it?

I would prefer that all of us read new and old members of the forum as they intend with their words and not the formal meaning of the terms.

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 05:31    Post_subject:  

@nooby,
I don't agree at all with you.
Terms should be used correctly here and elsewhere to avoid confusion.
Confusion is very often the base of a deaf man's dialogue.

Newbies should not be confused by reading incorrect terms. They should learn the correct terms.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Baldlygo

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 07:02    Post_subject: unetbootin in Puppy  

Seems to me, another newbie, that slixz85 is asking a simple question - Is unetbootin available in Puppy? I'd love to know this too.

I hate having to fall back on windows to make a bootable USB of a distribution that is not Puppy.

Paul

nooby

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 07:18    Post_subject:  

What term do you think is the proper one for what he intended to say then?

I have been active here at least since 2008 and I have no clue but I did get what he wanted to say. Burn is not the formal word for it but IIRC very many have started to use it and that is how languages works. The user of the language decide together that it is perfectly okay to say burn even if the formal word is something else.

One can do two things at once.

1. Read what he intend to say and address that first and then after that is accomplished and

2. then one can teach him that maybe that word is not the formally correct and suggest something better. No need to discourage the newbie from scratch by being very formal.

I am not criticizing you I just try to be formally correct.

nooby

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 07:37    Post_subject: Re: unetbootin in Puppy  

Baldlygo wrote:
Seems to me, another newbie, that slixz85 is asking a simple question - Is unetbootin available in Puppy? I'd love to know this too.

I hate having to fall back on windows to make a bootable USB of a distribution that is not Puppy.

Paul

oops sorry I forgot to answer.
AFAIK unetbootin is not available yet but I can be wrong. Use the search in my signature and use uppermost search bar to look for it.

We had one or two threads about it some time ago. Maybe a year or more and as I remember several was disappoined with how Unetbootin treaded Puppy during install so they did not recommended it.

If I recall correctly I asked if there was other ways to do it and most likely it was Rcrsn51 that made a description on doing the same by hand manually and I tested it and it worked for me but I don't remember how to find it again. I've changed computer since then. From Aopen MZ915 to Packard Bell A6 to HP/Compaq Desktop and then to Acer D250 so my nowledge are spread out on all of them.

I also remember that Shinobar's combination of grub4dos and config in one program can install on both USB and internal HDD and I tested that one too and with rather good result.

So there should be ways to do it without using Unetbootin but sure if one are used to Ms Windows then maybe that one is okay to use.

I tested some 75 distros using it so it is not totally worthless but it is not the best way to install puppy.

nooby

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 07:42    Post_subject:  

Edit. Her is the post by rcrsn51 that I referred to He describe how one should go about installing without unetbootin if one don't have windows to do it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=413412#413412

Edit here is one saying he made a unetbootin.pet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42450
maybe not for Lupu525 though?

Here is a thread started by me showing how things can go wrong with unetbootin read only if you are very patient. We have to find the threads where people tell why they dont' want to use it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50762
[Solved] Unetbootin "pure" frugal install of Puppy Linux?

I wrote solved in wrong place. I go change it now. Check what answer I got to it. Edit nope that is not a good thread look for another one.

But that thread show how something can go wrong if the combination of hard and software make things lock up. Back to searching.

Edited_times_total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 07:54    Post_subject: Re: unetbootin in Puppy  

Baldlygo wrote:

The Linux version of unetbootin does not work in Puppy - there are too many dependencies. However, I haven't checked recently in Lupu, so this may no longer be the case.

You can manually do a USB install of another distro using the procedure here. But since Ubuntu and its derivatives have gone to GRUB2 as their bootloader, it has gotten more complicated.
Béèm

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 07:56    Post_subject:  

nooby wrote:
What term do you think is the proper one for what he intended to say then?

I have been active here at least since 2008 and I have no clue but I did get what he wanted to say. Burn is not the formal word for it but IIRC very many have started to use it and that is how languages works. The user of the language decide together that it is perfectly okay to say burn even if the formal word is something else.

One can do two things at once.

1. Read what he intend to say and address that first and then after that is accomplished and

2. then one can teach him that maybe that word is not the formally correct and suggest something better. No need to discourage the newbie from scratch by being very formal.

I am not criticizing you I just try to be formally correct.
Come on nooby.
Would you use 'how do I burn puppy to HDD?'
No you burn a CD/DVD and you install to pen drive/HDD.
I have seen too many threads going into useless discussions as there was confusion about the correct terms.
I don't think a newbie will be deterred by such comments and best is to correct the use of terms from the very start on.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
nooby

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 08:10    Post_subject:  

Rcrsn51 now when you are active here.

What about this post by you?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=413412#413412

Quote:

The Linux version of UNetbootin won't run in Puppy because of missing dependencies. But it is sometimes possible to do the manual equivalent of UNetbootin to convert a Linux distro's ISO file into a bootable flash drive. Here are the steps:

1. Mount the flash drive and delete everything on it.

2. Unmount the flash drive but leave it plugged in.

3. Determine the device name of your flash drive. It may be sdb1.

4. Open a terminal and type:
Code:
syslinux /dev/sdXY

where XY is your flash drive. Make sure you get this right!

5. Mount the flash drive. You should see the file ldlinux.sys on it.

6. Click on the distro's ISO file to mount it. Copy everything off the ISO onto the flash drive. There may be some hidden files, so use the ROX eyeball icon to see them.

7. Does the ISO contain a folder named isolinux? It may be inside another folder named boot. If so, copy all the files in the isolinux folder to the root of the flash drive.

8. You should now see a file named isolinux.cfg at the root of the flash drive. Rename it to syslinux.cfg.

9. If you cannot find an isolinux.cfg file anywhere in the ISO, it may be using a different bootloader. In that case, your best bet is to manually create a file named syslinux.cfg with the following line
Code:
default /boot/vmlinuz initrd=/boot/initrd.gz vga=normal

10. Unmount everything and reboot off the flash drive.

If it won't boot, here are some trouble-shooting questions.

Do you know for sure that your machine supports USB bootability? Many older machines (and some newer ones) don't. The best scenario is where the BIOS detects the flash drive as a secondary hard drive.

Have you modified your BIOS boot priority list to enable USB booting?

Have you set the boot flag on the flash drive partition? Check this with Gparted.

Does the MBR of your flash drive contain the standard DOS/WIn boot code? If not, you can manually update the code as follows:

1. Locate the file mbr.bin in the folder /usr/lib/syslinux.

2. Write this file onto the MBR of your flash drive using a command like:
Code:
dd if=mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb

Note that this command uses sdb and not sdb1.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

To Beem I do apology for not being able to correctly reproduce the small tics above e and e in your name. I ahve a swedish keyboard.
I guess you and I have to agree to disagree on such things. I do remember that I got so sad and felt for giving up due to your comments to me about this and that that I did wrong. Hopefully all other newbies are less sensitive that what I am. But it really hurted me. So we two are too different from each other for to be able to get the other pov.

You can try to tell the guy that wrote

i m n i hav when he meant to say I am or I'm and used n for and and hav for have and that was consistent in his writing. I guess it is named texting and is very formal correct for them. Here is a cute such

cul8tr which stands for See You later

I find it rather cute.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum