Installing Fatdog64: how to tell which partition is which?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
soop

Installing Fatdog64: how to tell which partition is which?

#1 Post by soop »

Hi..I have my own fatdog64 on rewritable DVD, I'm Trying to manually install fatdog64 on HD, but the installer doesn't show size of partitions, it doesn't even say if they are NTFS (where I have winxp installed) or EXT4 (where I wish install fatdog) so I'm not sure where I should install it...I'm missing something ? or is that a bug ?
Thanks

ally

#2 Post by ally »

you can create a folder on the partition of choice, click the fatdog iso to expand the files and copy them to the folder

run grub4dos and you should be good to go - all of my installs (except the very first) are done this way

:)

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

full install is not really supported, when people talk about installing fatdog its in the frugal method. That is why you do not have size options.
But full install will not be beneficial to Fatdog64 its really setup to shine in frugal install method on a harddrive. You have many options. Save to directory ( most like full install ) save to savefile ( expected method ) save to multisession ( compressed changes only, able to rollback ) on harddrive or optical drives ( Dvd bluray, not cd )
Just yesterday I was able to frugal install with EFI directly boot from untouched flashdrive ( no mbr or gpt mods ) and That is my preferred method since I can easy change boot config files where the iso dd method can not.
And the flashdrive approved layout is retained for speed and longer life.

soop

#4 Post by soop »

Ok thanks for the info..I have 2 more questions, hope you can help me :) .
Following frugal installation, I have to install grub or grub4dos on MBR in order to boot fatdog, there is no way to use another loader like GAG loader ? How can I handle .tar files on fatdog ? (I read puppy can easily install .tar with puppy package manager) Thanks again

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

you can boot with dvd and still have a save file on harddrive. No changes to mbr or grub installs that way I find it easier but people say its faster with a hardrive boot. I placed fatdog main files on EFI part. and it was super fast, no need to mess with mbr or gpt on new Win8 boxes.. well that if you can get around windows lockdown.. :x