IcePuppy-014 for newer and Ice Puppy-015 for older computers

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#76 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Beem. I compiled that gatotray in Ice Puppy. It makes symlink to the /root/Startup. So remove it if you dont want to autostart it.
In that case you need to launch it manually in console: #gatotray

So now there are already 4 different cpu core temp showing apps.
Next we need to poll which one to include in more stable version of Ice Puppy. LOL.

I have to admit I like gatotray immediately. It shows core temp, cpu usage and cpu speed in mouse tool tip. Really nice.
Well, if rcrsn51 core temp pet would show which cpu governing is used, it would be more useful. Now it shows only if on demand governor is used or not.
Attachments
gatotray-2.0.pet
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 09:24, edited 3 times in total.

nooby

#77 Post by nooby »

I am testing ice4 now :)
Bsad news Zigberts Pwidgets report Temperature 0 and No fans in usage.
confirmed by this
Sensors in menu > system > Hardware info refuse to show anything.
Fan is not running only the Harddisk as when I listen with ear to the case

Gatetray? still show 26 Celsius despite CPU goes up to 60% usage due to the flash on Murga page.
Is that not very unrealistic?

I try to do the cli thing and system too.
cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

Which seems to not be the true figure because it does not change by usage of cpu.

So what was it I had to do to get the thermal thing going?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#78 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. I think you have to figure that out. Cpu temp shows fine for me.

I have already posted in the thread before, that Hardinfo does not show cpu temp anymore. I believe you have read the thread.
I think the same goes with Pwidgets.

I wont do anymore core temp debugging in this phase. It works for me. If there is some missing module, I can compile that. If somebody figures out how to help you, it would be really helpful.

Ray MK

#79 Post by Ray MK »

Hi pemasu

JFYI - running ice-004 on my old Acer TM-243LC laptop
has 256mb ram and a 2.5Ghz celeron proc. 800mb swap parttition.

running live - no pup_save and it runs very well.

attatched report for hardinfo and a png of desktop.

as you may already know, I really like your snow/ice puppy's
also use them on my asus 701SD netnook - very nice on that too.
512mb ram and the celeron proc. no swap.

Thanks for doing all you do for us - very much apprecitated.

Very best regards - Ray
Attachments
reort004.tar.gz
(4.49 KiB) Downloaded 331 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#80 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:Next we need to poll which one to include in more stable version of Ice Puppy. LOL.
In Dutch there is a saying:
There are several roads that lead to Rome
:wink:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pemasu

#81 Post by pemasu »

Thank you Ray MK of your kind words. I checked your report. It seems that kernel has recognized nicely your hardware. That was good to know.

l2ulinux

Thank You

#82 Post by l2ulinux »

Thanks for all your work. May I ask one thing? Please change the startup page to read IcePuppy. I know it is a remake of SnowPuppy, but if someone that had not tried snowpuppy are read the forum they would not know. I sometime right away pet disk for free. I love PuppyLinux and try to get everyone to try it.
Please keep the great work up. And please don't let someone upset you and you leave us.

l2ulinux

IcePuppy

#83 Post by l2ulinux »

I sometime right away pet disk for free.
Did not proof read, that was nutty.
I sometime give away PuppyLinux disk for free.

gcmartin

#84 Post by gcmartin »

You have done the Puppy community a HUGE contribution!
pemasu wrote:I have now highmem and PAE compiled in. It means that 4 Gb ram is shown as that and Ice Puppy also supports ram more than 4 Gb. Side effects. It will use ram about 20 mb more than without it. ...
I have found that there is a performance increase in using this PUP versus the lupu-001 SnowPup which does NOT have these changes.

Here's what you've given us
  1. a faster SnowPUP
  2. a single SnowPUP that would run on small RAM and Large RAM alike
And, because of this, I don't think anyone is going to be that concerned about 20MBs when it accompanies a performance improvement.

I understand that there are some operational kinks that will get attention. but, for the most part, this is a major demonstration to the PUP community that will not go un-noticed.

If these early indications continue to be true, you need not continue to build 2 kernels. Very soon, no one will be using the other kernel.

Congratulations on this achievement: "One PUP that runs on anything 32bit. Wow!"

puppyluvr

#85 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
As the author of an IcePup myself, (IcePup 3.01 which will run on a win95 machine well. :wink: ) I was compelled to try your release.. 8)

Well.....WOW....
As I said, I have not really looked at what this Pup is all about...I just had to try it by name...Pupspeak is too cute.... :mrgreen: Reminds me of the "paper clip guy" LOL
That said...IDK if it is the new kernel, the glibc, or what...
But this is the fastest Pup Ive ever run...Bear in mind that for the first time in my life, I have a higher spec machine...But, on this machine, side by side frugal installs, this is easily 20% faster than any other Pup I have, and I have 16 frugal installs, including all the latest cutting edge woof/wary/quirky builds...Best OOTB glxgears score yet... :D
I played with moo, and was able to get a cli Pup, but discovered a bad D/L and must try again.. :(

As per the thread...My fan runs fine...my resolution is correct, audio is better than most OOTB..I was surprised by the "Network Security" warning... 8)
FF4 works great as well, and after I D/L a few things, like the devx and a few SFS/Pet`s, I`ll have more to report...

OK so Im gonna go back and read this thread from the start, look at what all you have done here, and get back...

But...first impression....Awesome....

Compaq CQ-56
Intel Celeron 2.2 g
2 gb ram
on board Intel Video and Audio
RT2860/5390 wireless (recognized and reconnected at boot... 8) 8) )
Frugal installs of many Pup`s...

Only complaint is it dropped my monitor brightness by about 25%, but I
have not rebooted yet to see if it persists....
EDIT: DUH, its a frugal install...Ive rebooted it several times... :oops:
It is an acpi issue, I have seen B4...Will get back on that.....
Hardinfo report below...
Attachments
report.tar.gz
My hardinfo report..
(7.12 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Last edited by puppyluvr on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

pemasu

#86 Post by pemasu »

Puppyluvr. Thank you of your report. About Ice Puppy name. I didnt know there has been before my puppy time almost same named puppy. I am truly sorry.
Ice Puppy was natural choice for name because my main build has been Snow Puppy. And I come from the country of snow and ice almost half the year.
I needed to distinct the name from Snow Puppy because of the new kernel so that testers wont get confused.

About that brightness. Yes it do so automatically as battery saving mode if you are on battery and not using ac adapter..
But the brightness should respond back to your brightness buttons.
If it does not, then just remove from /root/Startup 0acpid script.
Then the save mode is not initialized.

There is also nodpms script which works with /usr/sbin/noblankscreen script to disable screen going black after inactivity. But I dont think so it should affect on brightness.

By the way. I am rebuilding Ice Puppy-004 to have first found bug fixes.
Ice Puppy will now have its own starting wallpaper as requested. It looks like Ice Puppy has come to live sometime......
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.

puppyluvr

#87 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Actually, I inherited the name from Todd Richardson, the creator of the original Icepup, back in `08 for IcePup 3.01...The original reason for me was Icewm, and Icecat for the browser...But that is the past, and this is the future..LOL..
Yea, I knew what the brightness issue was, it has come up B4...
BTW, the "brightness" hotkeys on my lappy, bring up "find in page" option in Firefox...LOL...
It looks like Ice Puppy has come to live sometime......
Glad to hear that... :D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

pemasu

#88 Post by pemasu »

Puppyluvr. You should be able to change the brightness also from console using echo command directed to the brightness file.
I dont remember the syntax but I know it exists. If you need it, I can search it. It will be good to have that command in pocket anyway.

pemasu

#89 Post by pemasu »

Puppyluvr. In console:

Code: Select all

# cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness
tells me the current one.

Code: Select all

# echo 9 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
changes it to the bright. But check where your brightness file is first and then direct that command there.

If it works, put that command in executable script in /root/Startup, maybe with sleep 2 before the command

It is also easy to bind with xbindkeys-config to your hotkeys instead of that Firefox thing.

pemasu

#90 Post by pemasu »

I am reuploading Ice Puppy-004 now. It consists of latest bugfixes and addons. PPM database files should be now ok, so Quickpet should work ootb. Hostname change bug has been fixed. Desktop starting wallpaper is now Ice Puppys own. Ok, it seems the editing didnt went quite all right there are small rubbish around the name. Well, Gimp will get work again.
Gatotray is added and Psensor removed. I also removed the leftover 2.6.35.7 modules, there was some hanging from the snow puppy woof build.
So mostly quite cosmetic fixing.

I will start making kernel source sfs tomorrow. Then I add ndiswrapper as first third party kernel module.

About old phone line modem support.
From the previous experience, i wont start to compile extra modules or trying to do that if I dont know the name of the module or needed package first. Just name Lucent or what ever is not enough. It has been frustrating trying to help when ppl dont give specific enough info even when asked. Also support is diminishing in these newer kernels.

Wireless is easier. Just do in console:
lspci -nn -v
as starter and post the wireless spesific rows.

pemasu

#91 Post by pemasu »

Ice Puppy-004 has been reuploaded.

James C

#92 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Ice Puppy-004 has been reuploaded.
Got it. :)

pemasu

#93 Post by pemasu »

Ice Puppy has foxlibs installed because of xfe file manager. There is also nice goggles music manager which uses fox libs but it needs xine libs also.
I searched and found that dxirc also is foxlibs app.
Just for fun of it I compiled it, tested and made pet of it.
It should autoconnect to the puppylinux forum.
There is really no need for third irc app, but if you feel boring, give it a spin

It is something like xchat. You get spelling working by installing libaspell from ubuntu repo by using ppm.

marco07

#94 Post by marco07 »

pemasu:
I can not boot ice puppy 004 from flash drive setup by unetboot. Although I edited the configuration files on the unetboot by changing pmedia=cd to pmedia=usbflash, it still searches for puppy files on the hard drive and drops me to terminal.

myke

#95 Post by myke »

Pemasu, finally got a chance to d/l and test out Ice-puppy 4. Got some problems. The worst is lost my USB mouse - don't know why - had it in Ice-Puppy 1. Noticed on boot-up that the ENE card reader not enabled. Did a lsmod command and noticed that keucr was not loaded - did a modprobe keucr and got an error message, text attached.

Good news, modprobe coretemp worked. I also installed xsensor - nice graphic - didn't work in other pup (Snow-Puppy 14, I believe).

Tried lupe11.pet for the new kernel - didn't work, was it supposed to?

I still like the speed of Ice-puppy but miss the mouse - hate the trackpad - am dyslexic, scientific way to say basically clumsy - and miss the card reader.

myke
Attachments
error.zip
(271 Bytes) Downloaded 247 times
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)