Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 16 Jul 2018, 10:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
IcePuppy-014 for newer and Ice Puppy-015 for older computers
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 46 of 56 [839 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, ..., 54, 55, 56 Next
pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 29 May 2011, 16:53    Post subject:  

It looks like pmedia=ataflash works for me, but only with pausing. Pmedia=usbflash or pmedia=usbhd does not boot. If I left pmedia parameter out, it boots from usbstick.
Oh well, it looks like init script still does not boot with usb storage definitions.
jim3630

PostPosted: Sun 29 May 2011, 22:17    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Success with booting usb stick without pdev1.

Kernel repatched with usb_storage.patch and new rebuild of Ice Puppy.
I used Iguleders kernel-kit with needed modifications.

Posting now from usb stick boot of 2.6.38.4 kernel named as 2.6.38 and not using pdev1 at menu.lst.

My notices. at kernel row pmedia=usbflash still didnt work. I formatted the stick from ex4 to ext2, reinstalled the puppy files and installed grub4dos again, reboot, no luck...I remember that I hadnt ticked the boot flag with gparted...oh well...reboot...no luck....frustrated i tried pmedia=hddflash...IT BOOTS !!!! I want to see this again.....reboot......
Next finding...searching for puppy files....pausing......and then boot again.

But it took about 1o seconds before it found the puppy files from the stick.
So...there could be timing issue also why the booting from usb stick has failed.

So for me pmedia=usbflash didnt work but pmedia=hddflash worked. I had removed all lupu 013 sfs files from hdd to be sure it didnt use any of them.

Uploading now Ice Puppy-013. For me acpi_call module worked from Ice Puppy-012 folder. I would like to get feedback about those other drivers if anyone has possibility to test some of them.

Also I would like to get feedback can others usbboot from usbhdd or usbstick or usbnosering or whatever with pmedia=usbflash or pmedia=hddflash without that pdev1 parameter.

Anyway I opened bottle of sparkling......, namely big coke bottle because the new kernel works, it might boot with pmedia parameter and the kernel is now without minor numbering it is build using Iguleders kernel-kit first time and it is patched freshly using needed patches and it might be compatible with previously compiled kernel module drivers.

finally got ip13 frugal install on usb stick. have problem with universal installer since would not install spup to hdd 2 days ago with error "cannot be mounted currently mounted read-write does not have lupusave.3fs.file in it" Doesn't mention what cannot be mounted.

ip13 and spup burnt to cd, mounted and files copied for frugal install.
ip13 needed pmedia=usbflash and the Broadcom wo pet 22, was the last one you made for IP think is 22. connected to internet straight away.

acpitool -s works without issue.

Sun 29 May 2011 Operating System: Ice Puppy-013 Linux 2.6.38
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
oem: Intel(R)Ironlake Mobile Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS product: Intel(R)Ironlake Mobile Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: unknown
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) IGDNG_M GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6100
Core 0: 1999 1: 1999 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

# glxgears
3563 frames in 5.1 seconds
5446 frames in 5.0 seconds
5515 frames in 5.0 seconds
5528 frames in 5.0 seconds
5524 frames in 5.0 seconds
5527 frames in 5.0 seconds
5562 frames in 5.0 seconds
5522 frames in 5.0 seconds
5542 frames in 5.0 seconds

spus still haven't got connected. Odd the pet loads and configures. eth1 goes up but won't stay up. Micko PostPosted: Fri 20 May 2011, 19:42 Post subject: Reply with quote
Very Happy Hello,
Frisbee works well...
Only one dilemma which is why I didnt include it...
If I want to switch connections via the traditional wizard....
I have to ifconfig wlan0 down first, or any changes that the wizard makes are ignored....
It is awesome if you use only one connection....

pemasu do you have a frisbee pet for spup? wonder if that would be the fix? thanks jim
James C

PostPosted: Sun 29 May 2011, 23:41    Post subject:  

Ice Puppy 013 live muti-session cd.Everything working as usual, no problems.

# glxgears
2192 frames in 5.0 seconds
2206 frames in 5.0 seconds
2202 frames in 5.0 seconds
2200 frames in 5.0 seconds
2198 frames in 5.0 seconds
2192 frames in 5.0 seconds

Sun 29 May 2011 Operating System: Ice Puppy-013 Linux 2.6.38
d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: unknown
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (413x232 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Core 0: 2611 1: 2611 2: 2611 3: 2611 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.
Ice Puppy 013.png
 Description   
 Filesize   111.09 KB
 Viewed   1067 Time(s)

Ice Puppy 013.png

pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2011, 01:11    Post subject:  

Quote:
would not install spup to hdd 2 days ago with error "cannot be mounted currently mounted read-write does not have lupusave.3fs.file in it"

James C. I saw samekind report in spup devel thread by Jim3630. And I had that problem also. There seems to happened something with puppyinstaller.
Quote:
ip13 needed pmedia=usbflash and the Broadcom wo pet 22, was the last one you made for IP think is 22. connected to internet straight away.

If I understand right, pmedia=usbflash worked for you. And previous wireless worked also with this wholly recompiled new kernel. These are really good news.
That puppyinstaller problem needs to be checked next. There is possibility that new woof has even problem.
James C

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2011, 01:31    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Quote:
would not install spup to hdd 2 days ago with error "cannot be mounted currently mounted read-write does not have lupusave.3fs.file in it"

James C. I saw samekind report in spup devel thread by Jim3630. And I had that problem also. There seems to happened something with puppyinstaller.
Quote:

If I understand right, pmedia=usbflash worked for you. And previous wireless worked also with this wholly recompiled new kernel. These are really good news.
That puppyinstaller problem needs to be checked next. There is possibility that new woof has even problem.

Wrong Jim..... Laughing That problem belongs to jim3630.

However, I will test a hdd install just to check things out.

Kinda like running the multi-session discs.....been working perfectly so far.
pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2011, 01:51    Post subject:  

Ooops. I read spup devel thread and this thread quickly before going to work. Sorry about connectings names wrongly. I didnt mean to.
James C

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2011, 02:41    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Ooops. I read spup devel thread and this thread quickly before going to work. Sorry about connectings names wrongly. I didnt mean to.

No problem. Smile
jim3630

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2011, 12:35    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

pemasu will read back to understand what's up with puppyinstaller.

Yes, pmedia=usbflash worked on this newer hp box. the wo driver wasnot included in ip13 and after using the pet it loaded with one program and configured easily with Frisbee. was oversight wo driver not included?
pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2011, 13:03    Post subject:  

Jim3630. No, it wasnt oversight. I recompiled the kernel from the scratch with Iguleders kernel kit starting frome kernel and aufs download, including all the needed batches and also new usb-storage.patch. Then I used the lupe23 config file to compile it. I coulndt believe that older kernel module drivers could work. But they do and that is small wonder.
I didnt want to compile them again before I know if previous compiles work or not.

Wl module from previous build can be included to the next distro with ndiswrapper and acpi_call modules.
But...If I remember right the extra maneuvers included in the pet were needed also. Removing conflicting b43 if loaded and unloading ssb module also if not blacklisted already. So the usage of that pet is still the easiest way to get wl module working.

Jim3630 I needed users to test previous modules and confirm that they work before they can be included to the build.

Now I have that confirmation. Thanks to you.

There is now 2 reports of succesful pmedia=usbflash booting. Looks good.
jim3630

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2011, 15:14    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Jim3630. No, it wasnt oversight. I recompiled the kernel from the scratch with Iguleders kernel kit starting frome kernel and aufs download, including all the needed batches and also new usb-storage.patch. Then I used the lupe23 config file to compile it. I coulndt believe that older kernel module drivers could work. But they do and that is small wonder.
I didnt want to compile them again before I know if previous compiles work or not.

Wl module from previous build can be included to the next distro with ndiswrapper and acpi_call modules.
But...If I remember right the extra maneuvers included in the pet were needed also. Removing conflicting b43 if loaded and unloading ssb module also if not blacklisted already. So the usage of that pet is still the easiest way to get wl module working.

Jim3630 I needed users to test previous modules and confirm that they work before they can be included to the build.

Now I have that confirmation. Thanks to you.

There is now 2 reports of succesful pmedia=usbflash booting. Looks good.

pemsu my mistake thought wo driver was included but it was a pet. One of those senior moments....well, I hope for moments instead of hours.

the universal installer is correctly working in ip12,11 and subsequently I assume not giving the previously reported error message. It also works in snow puppy 18 but not in snow puppy 19 giving the same previously reported error message.

in sp my wireless connection comes up as eth0 but in ip it's eth1. don't know if is important or makes any difference.

hope this helps. jim
DaveS

PostPosted: Tue 31 May 2011, 16:13    Post subject:  

Icebox? Smile

pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 31 May 2011, 16:15    Post subject:  

Hah, seems suggestion to include openbox/fbpanel to the Ice Puppy. Looks attracting, lol.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 31 May 2011, 16:58    Post subject:  

Openbox/fbpanel is better then Icewm Wink
Use peppyy's puppysearch
KJ

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun 2011, 12:09    Post subject: openbox vs icewm  

Béèm ... In what ways are the Openbox/fbpanel combo better then Icewm? Speed? Memory usage? Eye-candy? Can you point me toward a good evaluation? Thanks .... KJ
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun 2011, 14:26    Post subject: Re: openbox vs icewm  

KJ wrote:
Béèm ... In what ways are the Openbox/fbpanel combo better then Icewm? Speed? Memory usage? Eye-candy? Can you point me toward a good evaluation? Thanks .... KJ

I cant speak for Icewm because I have not use it, but here are some of the extra cool things Openbox can do
You can set screen margins to prevent maximised apps covering your launchers, or maybe just set the margin to a few pixels wide, so that you can throw your mouse pointer right to the edge and still get a right-click desktop event to bring up a root menu over a maximised app... very cool

Menus have a millisecond or two delay, so if you are a bit off with mousepointer, you dont select the wrong item, or loose it altogether like in JWM.

There is a lovely Openbox configuration GUI (obconf), and a reasonable one for fbpanel

Openbox seems to have great control over where windows open, and you can configure it to some extent.

In Openbox, you can set the window controls to whichever side you want (I prefer the Ubuntu style left), and set the order inwhich they appear.

Good start?

Page 46 of 56 [839 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, ..., 54, 55, 56 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: