IcePuppy-014 for newer and Ice Puppy-015 for older computers

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#151 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:Beem. Sorry, I did resize the pic to 1024x768. I guess I need to resize more. Unfortunately the pic is in my usb stick and not in use now.
No harm done, but you probably don't know the story behind this.
Quite some time ago there were lot's of discussions about pictures being too wide.
The advice was given to reduce to 600 wide or less.
Posters didn't take that into account, so a script was developed.
If pictures were 600 wide or less, it displayed in the post. Otherwise a download link was created.
That took care for the issue a while until people started to embed pictures in a post (as you did), but fortunately not very often.
Apparently there was no cure in a script to take care of that issue, but to ask the poster to reduce the picture to 600 wide or less and re-post his message.
So now you know the background.
Last edited by Béèm on Sun 24 Apr 2011, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Billtoo

#152 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:Billtoo. Interesting. I let all those other frame buffer console drivers to be in. So there is the usual fbcon aka frame buffer console driver but also those grahpics spesific frame buffer drivers. I could not pinpoint the nvidia frame buffer driver by name.
Billtoo, you should do in console lsmod and find what XXXXfb modules are loaded. When you find the loaded XXXFfb module unload it by rmmod XXXXfb and there you go. Then you can also blacklist that module by boot manager.
I gave that try and didn't have any luck, sometimes got an "in use" error.
Also tried to install the ati proprietary driver on my netbook and no luck there either.

The proprietary driver isn't absolutly necessary but is good for google earth and nexuiz, nexuiz plays smooth as silk on my revo with the nvidia driver.

pemasu

#153 Post by pemasu »

Ok. I checked the specs. There is now fbcon module only as static. And only vesa fb as module. Next probably some starts to ask where is his frame buffer module.

Well. Anyway IcePuppy-006 is near. I have nonoptimized the kernel with hard hand. Now it shoulf be more compatible. And those framebuffer modules are really cleaned down.

Also the kernel is no more preemptive, so rt property is also out.
You could call next build as conservative highmem + PAE build.
Not for musicians anymore. Go and use Puppy Studio with its rt latency kernel. But bear in mind that 005 is for them.
LOL.

pemasu

#154 Post by pemasu »

Hmmm, I havent got any reports about that Vattery icon in tray. Barrys powerapplet_tray does not work. Not even compiled in Ice Puppy. And I think it points to the existing battery files in this new kernel build. So the problem is out of my hands atm.
But, is it really me only who has Vattery in tray ?
If so, then I/we need to start hunting. I think tazoc made different version to his LHP. I dont know any other variants. But if somebody has insight, please spit it out.
And please, report about that Vattery icon..........................

marco07

#155 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Hmmm,
If so, then I/we need to start hunting. I think tazoc made different version to his LHP. I dont know any other variants. But if somebody has insight, please spit it out.
As I reported before on 005, I have no battery icon on my system try. None! No Vattery either. But when my laptop battery got low, I heard the warning beeps. Hope this will help.
On another issue, I get the message "quick time crashed unexpectedly", when I try to watch a movie trailer on Apple's web site. One other issue, my sound volume is extremely low even though I have it at 100% loudness..

pemasu

#156 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. Could you go to the /root/Startup and in there in console launch vattery. #./1vattery
And do you get any error messages. If yes, post them here.
Also in console, could you launch: #vattery-ibam and check what happens.
After that: # vattery-acpitool
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 24 Apr 2011, 14:43, edited 2 times in total.

jduffy22335

vattery

#157 Post by jduffy22335 »

pemasu wrote:Hmmm, I havent got any reports about that Vattery icon in tray. Barrys powerapplet_tray does not work. Not even compiled in Ice Puppy. And I think it points to the existing battery files in this new kernel build. So the problem is out of my hands atm.

Dell8500 does have vattery icon in tray and reflects charging and discharging when AC power is removed

marco07

#158 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Marco07. Could you go to the /root/Startup and in there in console launch vattery. #./1vattery
And do you get any error messages. If yes, post them here.
Also in console, could you launch: #vattery-ibam and check what happens.
After that: # vattery-acpitool
Here is what I get:
sh-4.1# ./1vattery
No apm data available.
Segmentation fault
sh-4.1#
I also clicked on 1vattery in /root/Startup. It blinks with no response at all.

pemasu

#159 Post by pemasu »

Thank you or Vattery reports. Now I suspect the problem could be that there might be other places for battery state. I have it at /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state.
1vattery script searches battery state from /proc/acpi/battery/*/state so any name for BAT1 or whatever will be ok.
But if the battery state file is somewhere else, then the script need to be modified accordingly.
Vattery-acpitool and vattery-ibam should work otherwise ok. They even compiled fine in Ice Puppy.

Just my 1½ cents. Ball is now in testers hand who does not get Vattery icon to the tray. Hunt for your battery state file and post the location.
After all these testing I have now 8 Vattery icons in tray. LOL.

marco07

#160 Post by marco07 »

Thanks!
I will check to see where my "state" is and try to fix the script, if I can locate the "state".
Any ideas about quick time crash and low sound volume?
Edit:
Mine is at the same place except it is BAT0. That is:
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state

Edit2:
I replaced * with BAT0 in 1vattery script to see if that helps. I still got the same error message as above.

gcmartin

FAST!

#161 Post by gcmartin »

I run LIveCD ONLY.

Wow this is fast! 005 is on desktop 4GB AMD X2 and also on laptop (posted earlier). Speedwise, This is just flat-out way beyond any 32bit PUP I've used, ever, on these 2 systems. All peripheral working without any issues; namely sound card features, USBs recognized, etc. ... Just everything is popping to the screen very, very fast.

You asked about battery and tray. I have battery icon and all seems well on the laptop that I post. And, my laptop temp is 44 degrees.

Hope this helps.
(Enjoy this day, Everyone!)
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 24 Apr 2011, 19:58, edited 3 times in total.

pemasu

#162 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. There is no use the change that * in script. It means that any name is ok for it. It wil recognize your BAT0 ok. But is there data in your state file. Please go to the file location and open the state file. Is there battery information inside ?
About that low volume, did you right click retrovol > full window and all master, speaker and PCM are on right side.
If yes, sorry, dont have the answer to the problem atm.

marco07

#163 Post by marco07 »

Here is the content of my state file:
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: discharging
present rate: 16163 mW
remaining capacity: 42400 mWh
present voltage: 11504 mV

Regarding sound, yes everthing is on the right side! Should they be here or on the left side? Because the Title on the right side says, inactive sliders.

pemasu

#164 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. I am about clueless, everything looks so right with your posts. But still it does not work. Well try this pet. It has been compiled in Ice Puppy.

AND.....Ice Puppy-006 has been released. It is now more conservative and should be more wide spectrum in specs than previous Higmem + PAE versions. I hope that incompatibility issues are lesser now.
Also I hope that compiling proprietary graphics drivers dont stop in stubborn frame buffer drivers.
Attachments
Vattery-0.0.1.pet
(75.98 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

pemasu

#165 Post by pemasu »

Ice Puppy-006 is the latest Highmem + PAE version. It is more conservative than 005. No preemptive rt latency, no group scheduling, timer frequency 1000 Hz > 300 Hz.
But it is/has Tickless, SMP, Multi core scheduling, Hyperthreading, recognizes cores up to 8 so it is still new laptop/desktop friendly, but more useful to the older comps also. It has support for extended x86 platforms so should support almost everything, AMD Elan included.
Frame buffer modules reduced now to fbcon and vesa fb.
But the device drivers is still redundant. Almost everything is supported which you can insert inside or outside PC. Well, of course it is restricted to what this kernel supports.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

MD8818 icepuppy 005 and USB devices

#166 Post by Béèm »

So I tried the 005 on my Medion 8818 desktop.
There I could boot to the desktop, albeit in 800x600 (automatically)
I was able to configure X at the usual 1024x768 tho.

But the USB support is weird.

I have a USB stick plugged in.
I can mount it.
But if I go to pupscan and tick USB there is says no USB devices plugged in.

My WiFi device is a USB also. RT73USB
It isn't detected and even when I do a modprobe for the rt73usb module it seems to load ok, but it doesn't give me my network device which is normally wlan0.

But I realize now, that I better do the test again with the 006.
Have to download it yet.
Time savers:

pemasu

#167 Post by pemasu »

Beem. I Havent used pupscan much. But now I checked the pupscan script. It has same problem as thermal information. Luckily I was now aware of the reason.
/proc/bus/usb does not exist anymore. Pupscan searches the usb devices from nonexistent location. The location is now /sys/bus/usb.
Pupscan script needs to be remade so that it will work with usb devices.
Coders et al, please help.............
The usb scanning section consists of so many bash letters that I would need extended bash book to understand what is there, lol.

Anyway /proc/acpi will will be removed in next stable kernel version, if I can count on information in kernel compiling help tables, when I clicked them open during compiling.
So there really is soon time to reorganize some puppy scripts if we want them to work with newer kernels.

Billtoo

IcePuppy-003 and 006 RHE release Really Highly Experimental

#168 Post by Billtoo »

Frugal install of icepuppy 06 on acer desktop.

Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 8234MB (142MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.00
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sun 24 Apr 2011 01:36:26 PM EDT
Display
Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Input Devices
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
Microsoft Microsoft® 2.4GHz Transceiver v6.0
Acer IR Receiver
Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.38.2 (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP Sun Apr 24 15:33:55 EEST 2011
C Library GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler Unknown
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.00

I tried to install the nvidia driver but although it seemed to go okay
it didn't work.

sh-4.1# glxgears
1818 frames in 5.0 seconds
2356 frames in 5.0 seconds
2319 frames in 5.0 seconds
2347 frames in 5.0 seconds
sh-4.1# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Ice Puppy, version 006

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(50.51 KiB) Downloaded 858 times

Béèm

#169 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:Beem. I Havent used pupscan much. But now I checked the pupscan script. It has same problem as thermal information. Luckily I was now aware of the reason.
/proc/bus/usb does not exist anymore. Pupscan searches the usb devices from nonexistent location. The location is now /sys/bus/usb.
Pupscan script needs to be remade so that it will work with usb devices.
Coders et al, please help.............
The usb scanning section consists of so many bash letters that I would need extended bash book to understand what is there, lol.

Anyway /proc/acpi will will be removed in next stable kernel version, if I can count on information in kernel compiling help tables, when I clicked them open during compiling.
So there really is soon time to reorganize some puppy scripts if we want them to work with newer kernels.
So that's why I have the weird USB issue?
I tried 006 and have the same. Even loading the rt73usb through the classical netw wizard loads the module but don't give a network device.
If of any help, I include the output of lsusb:

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2602
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04b8:0806
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0718:0639
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0bc7:0006
But there is some strange also for the internal HDD.
There are 2 partitions and in all other puppy's they are sda1 and sda5
Here they are sdc1 and sdc5.
The HDD is a sata drive.
When plugged a USB stick it is sdb1, which is correct. I can mount and use it.

So there is still some work to do on devices support. :wink:

I also installed spup 100 and got no problems. Internet connection was ok.
Time savers:

pemasu

#170 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Beem. I am convinced. I will inspect the usb section. And compare the specs to the Snow Puppy ones. Probably I have left something as static as they should be all modules.
About HDD detection. That is weird. Cant say anything right now.

Billtoo. I am sorry. I thought the problem was solved. But still it needs some tinkering in graphics section also.