IcePuppy-014 for newer and Ice Puppy-015 for older computers

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#16 Post by Béèm »

Did a FRUGAL install and activated my application/setup environment.
Apart that all of a sudden my save file went to 0MB in seconds (solved the issue) all is working well up to now.
Last edited by Béèm on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

myke

The fan

#17 Post by myke »

The good news is that keucr.ko is indeed present and so the SDHC card is shown as a drive (i.e., ENE Tech card reader is present).

The bad news is that for me like for nooby the fan is not working and so I won't be able to migrate to Ice Puppy until a workaround/fix can be found. I tried by downloading and trying to load vattery but couldn't get it to run.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#18 Post by Béèm »

myke, nooby
hmmm you have both Acer PC's.
A flaw there?

But did you run HardInfo and did you look at the sensors?
How is the temperature?

Or you could execute the little program I attach.
Attachments
gatotray.bin32.jpg
Just remove the jpg extention and you have the executable
(58.78 KiB) Downloaded 623 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pemasu

#19 Post by pemasu »

Acerhdf is Acer Aspire One fan control module. It wasnt compiled in. I couldnt find it when I compiled the kernel. But there is somewhere the option. I can find sources to compile it. Just need more searching.
The laptop support is quite separated and is not easy to find all the support for different platforms.

Edit. I found the reason. Thermal support does not work. I have missed some dependent module or enabled option. When acpi thermal information is not enabled, the acerhdf option is not found.
That is my conclusion right now with help of Iguleder in irc.
Let`s see. I will start new compiling session.

Thank you nooby and myke of your findings. If anyone has found something else amiss, it is good time to report it now. Before I have made new Ice Puppy build.

pemasu

#20 Post by pemasu »

New woof downloaded. Announced today and kernel also recompiled. I will make first test build with Ice Puppy so that I can test both new woof and new kernel compile.

I found the missing option with thermal monitoring. I got the option to include acerhdf also and it will be build as module also.

nooby

#21 Post by nooby »

Ahh cool that it helped to report. Sometimes I don't trust my own reporting. Bruce noticed how confusing my brain can be so I need to be careful that I don't mislead the Devs due to me too clumsy but this one was a miss of not including such needed things. Good that you found out and thanks to Iguleder. Hahaha be happu that I am not pesting your IRC thing! I should stay away from such fast medium.

Thanks pemasu. Finnish Sisu indeed. :) Swedes are such cry babies.
Last edited by nooby on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#22 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. Some other ppl just using and doing his basic things and reporting nonworking functions is best feedback you can get.
Of course everybody likes if someone praises them.
But finnish mens usually dont give much credit to it.
Just working is what we are usually after.

myke

acerfand

#23 Post by myke »

pemasu, sorry that I forgot to mention making it a practice of installing acerfand in the Startup folder and it hadn't helped. I see though you had figured it out anyway. Thank you for your efforts to get Ice Puppy to work on the AAO. I like the speed and functionality of Ice Puppy.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

marco07

#24 Post by marco07 »

Awaiting the new upload to start testing it.

pemasu

#25 Post by pemasu »

Problems. In kernel specs proc/acpi, proc directories and proc/event are classified as deprecated. Puppys acpid rely heavily on them.
Battery and ac adapter info works but i havent found a way to get thermal info working. I dont know how much it affects to funcionality. I got missing hardware monitoring options enabled, also acerfhdf.
But you dont get thermal information through acpitool

I dont know the solution yet. Anyway in kernel 2.6.39 proc/acpi all three options will be removed. That means quite a challenge.

Well, this is highly experimental adventure. Something like this was expected.
I will make another test build and then I focus to the Snow Puppy.

James C

#26 Post by James C »

For what it's worth, both Snow Puppy and Ice Puppy are working fine on my collection of desktops. No real difficulties at all.

nooby

#27 Post by nooby »

Pemasu, almost none of the many puppies that I have tested really give the real temperature as I get it. Many just say 27degr Celsius and report that Fan is on.

The to me alarm thing was that Ice reported 0 degr Celsius and No Fan On.

Can I trust that these small Netbooks have two fans? One for the overall termperature and one for the CPU in case it get over 50 or something?

Maybe one way to find out is to find somebody who knows if there is some way to force the fan to start.

I am in Snow5 now and the out door Digital Temperature gadget says that the air coming out of the hole in the side of it is 36 degr C.

And that is what I could expect if the fan is going but not reported.
But as I remember when I did test it it stayed the room temperature and I could hear no sound from it.

When one boot before the TOPS? has get everything under its control then one hear how the Fan sound when it is full speed. Whining indeed. Then it settle to a steady controlled speed and then it goes silent and only start when one play a video or visit a Flash site.

So I could place a Microphone or something there so I can hear it :)

No hurry for my sake but you should warn that some small Netbooks maybe fail to get fan going? So no Newbie is too optimistic and think that every iso works for all computers.

What is the standard words for it.

Known issues. May fail to get fan going on Acer D250 and similar Netbooks.

smokey01

#28 Post by smokey01 »

pemasu running ice puppy live ATM and all seems quite good.

I noticed that there is an icon for email but no email application as mozmail doesn't seem to be installed.

I had some trouble connecting the internet with wifi using SNS. I'm not sure if it was frizbee or network wizard that eventually worked but I'm online now.

You have a great collection of software included of which many are my favourites. The icons sets are pretty impressive too.

pemasu

#29 Post by pemasu »

Yes. I have removed the email applications totally. Email icon comes from the package, and i havent removed it if ppl want to set it to work with email application they prefer.
I think that everybody has his/her favourite email program or use gmail with browser or separately installed application from /mnt/home for all puppies. That is why I dont install email application at all.
It takes space and Snow Puppy / Ice Puppy is quite fat already.

People can install the email application they want. Or not...

Frisbee is the main connecting application. SNS comes for people who are not accustomed to use Frisbee. Frisbee handles wired eth0 and wireless connections both.
To have them all can cause issues, I know that, but not having SNS or old network wizard also rises issues, I have noticed that too. Oh well....

smokey01

#30 Post by smokey01 »

I wasn't used to frisbee so on the next boot I just clicked on the wireless icon in the tray and it worked fine.

Browsers or email clients are personal choices. I just thought it odd that you included the firefox browser but no email.

My personal choice is seamonkey because it's well integrated with browser, email and html editor.

It's your distro so you get to make the choices.

Good job.

nooby

#31 Post by nooby »

Smokey thanks for the server you have that let so many people upload iso for us to download. A real service.

Not criticism but you are a Seamonkey fan. You and Barry and a handful more.

Wow I am happy that at least Pemasu allow us to have a distro that have FireFox. So happy withj FF.

Pemasu now when you have a Snow16 with latest kernel and Ice Puppy what sort of differences will you put into that name then?

don570

Newer version of mhwaveedit

#32 Post by don570 »

Why don't you use a newer version of mhwaveedit.?

It can be compiled to open a specific audio mixer such as retrovol.
I did this and stripped it to make it smaller.
I made a pet package. It has a configuration file to eliminate the previous configuration.
Available
http://www.filedropper.com/mhwaveedit-stripped-1420

pemasu

#33 Post by pemasu »

Don570. Thank you of feedback. I downloaded your pet. I will update mhwaveedit now that I know there is newer version. I dont use it myself, so I have been blind of newer offering.

pemasu

#34 Post by pemasu »

About thermal information. I have been really dumb. proc/acpi does not handle thermal information and fan control anymore.
Thermal sysfs handles that under /sys/* devices and files.

cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp gives me core temperature nicely. Acpitool and from Menu > Hardinfo just dont handle the information anymore.

Howto control the fan through scripts and howto get gui core temp info, I dont know yet, but now I know that my compiles were not wrong, I just tried to get information using wrong tools.

I have nice working kernel. Well, this one is not for everyone. It is optimized for dual core newer processors and highmem and PAE is enabled.
So this one is again RHE build.
Of course if someone has quite new laptop or desktop, this could be useful.
I can upload this one as RHE PAE version. But I wont support that build in anyway. Build will be: You can download it - use it - brake it - but no support sorry - you are on your own.

I know that gcmartin has wanted to get his hands on build like this.
So comments about uploading.

I will make sameway allround usage build as in snow puppies for laptops in mind with better support for atom processors also.

Of course one build for P4 optimization is also possible. You never know......

pemasu

#35 Post by pemasu »

About thermal info again. Lm-sensors, libsensors, makedev and xsensors packages from ubuntu repo together provide gui info of cpu core temperature.
You can also get the cpu temp info with console: #sensors

So I am going to include them to the next build.

I made pet of those packages. It installs under System.
Attachments
sensors-0.0.1.pet
(104.17 KiB) Downloaded 862 times