IcePuppy-014 for newer and Ice Puppy-015 for older computers

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#136 Post by James C »

It just gets stranger. Ice Puppy 005 live pfix=ram on an old P3 w/ Intel graphics.Everything working. Works on an old P3 but not on the P4.... :?
Pretty slow though.
-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 513MB (151MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.00
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 23 Apr 2011 07:08:11 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI i810E 20050821 x86/MMX/SSE
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH

VGA compatible controller : Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)

# glxgears
1157 frames in 5.0 seconds
1197 frames in 5.0 seconds
1193 frames in 5.0 seconds
1197 frames in 5.0 seconds
1171 frames in 5.0 seconds

fr# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 513536 499080 14456 0 16820
Swap: 1126396 12792 1113604
Total: 1639932 511872 1128060
#

James C

#137 Post by James C »

Isn't testing fun. :)

pemasu

#138 Post by pemasu »

Thank you all of the reports. It seems there is still work to do.
First notice. Highmem + PAE needs still tinkering. 005 is too incompatible to some hw. Also P4 machines are sensitive, they like i486 optimization like in 003. 005 was optimized for speed and I believe that is the reason for incompatibilities.

Did you notice in that screenshot that skype video testing shows webcam picture nicely. Well, my face is not probably that nice.........

Smokey01. I am not sure if it is good idea. I have no experience of delta files when there is different kernel. There are quite a lot sensitive stuff which have changed. So far kernel configuration has been changed with every release. At least it would be difficult for me to get accurate picture of what went wrong. I have already tried to minimize the factors by clearly stating not to use savefile when testing from previous build. It has definetely made problems. I am afraid delta file would do same.

Beem. Sorry, I did resize the pic to 1024x768. I guess I need to resize more. Unfortunately the pic is in my usb stick and not in use now.

James C. Thanks for testing in different hw. I will take the optimization down a little based on your reports. I will let 005 to the net, because it can be really fast for those who get it working.

Marco07. Powerapplet_tray probably seqfaults. It wont work for me. 1vattery still works for me and it is launched at bootup: /root/Startup/1vattery. Am I the only one getting Vattery in tray ?
Definetely the battery status on tray needs focus in the future. Thanks marco07.

I will take now a little brake and I will check the specs of wuxiandianzi from 2.6.38.3 kernel. There is possibility I will change into it.
wuxiandianzi send me email and told that it works fine for him. I suggested that I could mirror his kernel stuff in ftp site, if smokey01 accepts it ? I know you are reading this thread sometimes.

It looks like there is need for i486 without highmem + PAE and then another version with highmem + PAE but not every optimization at top.

When there is time I could make the ultimate optimized kernel for those who have hw which accepts that. Well, my laptop seems to swallow anything.

There is nonbooting reports too much so I start with brake and reading for awhile.

Making new kernel and build new Ice Puppy takes almost one day. Luckily now at Easter I have time. LOL.

James C

#139 Post by James C »

Just realized I haven't tried 005 on the quad-core yet. Only 2 am here so I guess I can do a quick test. :)

James C

#140 Post by James C »

Ice Puppy 005 live pfix=ram on the quad. This thing is fast. :)
Everything working on initial boot...... sound,internet and display (1366x768).

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 3884MB (201MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.00
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 24 Apr 2011 02:18:40 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
-Input Devices-
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF
pdf_writer : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ST3250318AS
ASUS DRW-24B1ST

Audio device : nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)

Bridge : nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)

# glxgears
2148 frames in 5.0 seconds
1926 frames in 5.0 seconds
2170 frames in 5.0 seconds
2167 frames in 5.0 seconds
2166 frames in 5.0 seconds
2166 frames in 5.0 seconds
2137 frames in 5.0 seconds

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 3884460 650780 3233680 0 72740
Swap: 0 0 0
Total: 3884460 650780 3233680
#

James C

#141 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote: James C. Thanks for testing in different hw. I will take the optimization down a little based on your reports. I will let 005 to the net, because it can be really fast for those who get it working.
I was surprised by how fast 005 is, it flies if the hardware is up too it.Pretty slow on older equipment but really good on a fast computer.
pemasu wrote: It looks like there is need for i486 without highmem + PAE and then another version with highmem + PAE but not every optimization at top..
Sounds like a plan. :)

On the older, slower computers I can tell the difference between the PAE and non-PAE kernels....not sure where the cutoff would be but probably about 1 gb of ram and a suitable cpu would work pretty well with the highmem /PAE kernel.

Don't forget to take some time to enjoy life too.

pemasu

#142 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. Interesting. I let all those other frame buffer console drivers to be in. So there is the usual fbcon aka frame buffer console driver but also those grahpics spesific frame buffer drivers. I could not pinpoint the nvidia frame buffer driver by name.
Billtoo, you should do in console lsmod and find what XXXXfb modules are loaded. When you find the loaded XXXFfb module unload it by rmmod XXXXfb and there you go. Then you can also blacklist that module by boot manager.

smokey01

#143 Post by smokey01 »

icepuppy-005 seems to be working fine here. Posting from it now. Nice to see it uses all of my memory, that's a first.

I'm also listening to music in the background with streamtuner2. BTW it needs streamripper and a config change to xterm to use with it.

Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
Memory 4143MB (272MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.00
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sun 24 Apr 2011 18:33:07 CST
Display
Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d
Input Devices
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
Logitech USB Optical Mouse
PWC snapshot button

glxgears doesn't seem to be installed.

Looking good.

pemasu

#144 Post by pemasu »

Smokey01. Thanks of the report. Could you be more spesific of streamtuner2 hacks. I will implement them when I know what to do.

Xorg_High is preinstalled with glxgears. It works for me. Well, everything seems to work for me. I am poor tester.
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 24 Apr 2011, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#145 Post by smokey01 »

wuxiandianzi send me email and told that it works fine for him. I suggested that I could mirror his kernel stuff in ftp site, if smokey01 accepts it ? I know you are reading this thread sometimes.
No problems.

pemasu

#146 Post by pemasu »

I will combine forces with wuxiandianzi on his great job. He is behind all these patched sources. But his upload sites have been trouble.
I will mirror his stuff on ftp site.

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/wuxiandianzi_2.6.38_stuff

My first build with 2.6.38.3 from his kernel pet is under progress now......

I dont have the kernel sources yet, so I have to play with Ice Puppy build first.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#147 Post by Lobster »

When there is time I could make the ultimate optimized kernel for those who have hw which accepts that. Well, my laptop seems to swallow anything.
That is what I call a plan . . . :lol:
I am using a AMD 64 x2 dual processor, all seems OK
Fast? Probably. Puppy is fast so we are talking about split seconds to less of a split second (for me)
Really it is slower hardware that requires these speeds . . .

One issue you might be able to address
change the text under icons to use
white with black thin outline - it is then visible on
all backgrounds 8)
Click on an icon
Rox filer/options/pinboard

Another bugette (not to be confused with a french loaf)
When changing the resolution . . . during the testing . . .
when it gives you 60 secs to decide (hope you know what I mean)
the menu bar did not appear (I think this was cured in later Lucids
and I think it is 01micks code that is used)
However . . . and this is why it is a bugette . . . I decided to say
yes and forego the use of the menu as I could just right click and get a screen menu . . .
The menubar then appeared after the selection.

So all is good.
Hope this is useful
Many thanks 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pemasu

#148 Post by pemasu »

Lobster. Thank you of your insights. I will change the text color to the white in icons. Easy to do in woof build stage.
About that other resolution prob. I am not quite in the map now. Do you mean something in first run - personalize setting or something when doing something in console state with xorgwizard. Probably something with first run in X...........
EDIT. OK, I got it. It is the resolution changer in personalize settings.
Well, If I get hands on improved version, I will change it. First run pet is not woof compliant, so it will need fixing though. But if someone knows fixed version, I will investigate it and edit it and implement it.....
I use quite old first run wizard so probably there has been fixes. Well, what aint broken dont fix it....But if there is improvements, I just need a map and there you go.

About IcePuppyWuxi 2.6.38.3. All the staging drivers are out. No wireless for me and the kernel specs really differ from mine. As Beem said before.
Ultimately all the roads lead to the better puppy linux. Or do I remember wrong that old belgium saying ?

smokey01

#149 Post by smokey01 »

Houston we have a problem.

Icepuppy works fine live with wifi but when I created a savefile back to the DVD-RW it no longer worked on the next boot.

The ar9170usb module was loaded but it was not seen by any of the wireless managers.

As soon as I rebooted without loading the save file wifi worked again.

A bit odd.

pemasu

#150 Post by pemasu »

Smokey01. Yeah, there has been problems all the time with cd/dvd save file creation and using. I am not sure if all these problems are because of new kernel or because of new woof or because of newer hardware. There has been discussio about cd/dvd saving in the forum and also in Barrys Blog.

Have you had consistently working dvd-rw saving with some of these Ice Puppies ?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#151 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:Beem. Sorry, I did resize the pic to 1024x768. I guess I need to resize more. Unfortunately the pic is in my usb stick and not in use now.
No harm done, but you probably don't know the story behind this.
Quite some time ago there were lot's of discussions about pictures being too wide.
The advice was given to reduce to 600 wide or less.
Posters didn't take that into account, so a script was developed.
If pictures were 600 wide or less, it displayed in the post. Otherwise a download link was created.
That took care for the issue a while until people started to embed pictures in a post (as you did), but fortunately not very often.
Apparently there was no cure in a script to take care of that issue, but to ask the poster to reduce the picture to 600 wide or less and re-post his message.
So now you know the background.
Last edited by Béèm on Sun 24 Apr 2011, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Billtoo

#152 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:Billtoo. Interesting. I let all those other frame buffer console drivers to be in. So there is the usual fbcon aka frame buffer console driver but also those grahpics spesific frame buffer drivers. I could not pinpoint the nvidia frame buffer driver by name.
Billtoo, you should do in console lsmod and find what XXXXfb modules are loaded. When you find the loaded XXXFfb module unload it by rmmod XXXXfb and there you go. Then you can also blacklist that module by boot manager.
I gave that try and didn't have any luck, sometimes got an "in use" error.
Also tried to install the ati proprietary driver on my netbook and no luck there either.

The proprietary driver isn't absolutly necessary but is good for google earth and nexuiz, nexuiz plays smooth as silk on my revo with the nvidia driver.

pemasu

#153 Post by pemasu »

Ok. I checked the specs. There is now fbcon module only as static. And only vesa fb as module. Next probably some starts to ask where is his frame buffer module.

Well. Anyway IcePuppy-006 is near. I have nonoptimized the kernel with hard hand. Now it shoulf be more compatible. And those framebuffer modules are really cleaned down.

Also the kernel is no more preemptive, so rt property is also out.
You could call next build as conservative highmem + PAE build.
Not for musicians anymore. Go and use Puppy Studio with its rt latency kernel. But bear in mind that 005 is for them.
LOL.

pemasu

#154 Post by pemasu »

Hmmm, I havent got any reports about that Vattery icon in tray. Barrys powerapplet_tray does not work. Not even compiled in Ice Puppy. And I think it points to the existing battery files in this new kernel build. So the problem is out of my hands atm.
But, is it really me only who has Vattery in tray ?
If so, then I/we need to start hunting. I think tazoc made different version to his LHP. I dont know any other variants. But if somebody has insight, please spit it out.
And please, report about that Vattery icon..........................

marco07

#155 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Hmmm,
But, is it really me only who has Vattery in tray ?
If so, then I/we need to start hunting. I think tazoc made different version to his LHP. I dont know any other variants. But if somebody has insight, please spit it out.
And please, report about that Vattery icon..........................
As I reported before on 005, I have no battery icon on my system try. None! No Vattery either. But when my laptop battery got low, I heard the warning beeps. Hope this will help.
On another issue, I get the message "quick time crashed unexpectedly", when I try to watch a movie trailer on Apple's web site. One other issue, my sound volume is extremely low even though I have it at 100% loudness..