Puppy 5.3

News, happenings
johnywhy

#271 Post by johnywhy »

01micko wrote:I would still like to stay with JWM but some have grown fond of openbox/fbpanel. Should we have both?
Hi

As a dumb user, one of my sources of confusion with Lucid is that it offers two front-ends. At least i think it does. I mean, there's jwm, and xorg, and xvesa, um, and X, and OpenBox... ok, see, Lucid confuses me on this issue. This has to do with what I see during the boot process and in the menus. Please don't confuse me with 5.3!

([edit] Now i think i get that there are two window managers, jwm and OpenBox. They run on top of the X11 windowing system (aka X), which in turn runs on top of either xorg or xvesa. No, that's wrong. xorg and xvesa are two different implementations of X11. I think. But to be honest, i don't want to know. I'm just a dumb user. )

I don't care how many kinds of an app that you put in the OS, as long as the alternate apps are hidden from daily usage, and don't consume disk space. If your goal is to be smaller than Lucid (which i applaud, Lucid is too big for my taste), then I'd just as soon YOU pick the best front-end, don't include the other one.

If possible, maybe you could allow users to switch their front-end by downloading it, and auto-delete the old one to save space?

Please put me on your beta testing team, if possible :)