Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 15:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Puppy 5.3
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 17 of 19 [271 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:01    Post subject:  

puppyite wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:
So what do you think about my idea to reduce...

You harangue me for days on end, distort my words, impugn my motives and NOW you want to be constructive?

YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS.

Puppyite, go pound sand. I'm done wasting time with you.

You have made it abundantly clear that your desire was to control the developers. But don't hold your breath...

Meanwhile, I'm going to make suggestions to the developers, for possible ideas for the next release (you will note that unlike you, I'm not demanding changes, just looking for things I think will make it easier for newbies).

We will see which strategy is more productive.

puppyite

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:05    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy,
At least you admit your transgressions against me, or deny them.

Last edited by puppyite on Mon 23 May 2011, 15:07; edited 1 time in total
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:05    Post subject:  

jonyo wrote:
too many glaring issues are still going on here for puppy to be taken seriously

have fun with your next rootfest

You're absolutely right, Joyno... We really should consider making performance of a filesystem check an automagic process, that occurs on every boot.

And we should have a flag to turn it off so experts who don't want this "fscking" performed on their pupsave/lupusave/Spotsave can do so.

A corrupted filesystem is the bane of Linux newbies. Experts generally have no problem repairing them, so let's gear the boot process to protect newbies... (which will also save us work in the forums, as that complaint will be reduced)

RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:07    Post subject:  

puppyite wrote:
RetroTechGuy,
At least you admit your transgressions against me.

You are absolutely right, Puppyite. The project manager and his development team should decide what the best direction for the project is. After all, they know more about the peculiarities of Puppy than we do.

jonyo

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:08    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy wrote:
just looking for things I think will make it easier for newbies).

I'd call that a solid foundation for any distro but then it means catering to the win crowd

gee i wonder if there will be opposition to that here Laughing
puppyite

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:09    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy wrote:
You're absolutely right, Joyno... We really should consider making performance of a filesystem...

As far as you are concerned the die is cast. This is to little and too late.

jonyo

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:12    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy wrote:
You're absolutely right, Joyno... We really should consider making performance of a filesystem check an automagic process, that occurs on every boot.

And we should have a flag to turn it off so experts who don't want this "fscking" performed on their pupsave/lupusave/Spotsave can do so.

A corrupted filesystem is the bane of Linux newbies. Experts generally have no problem repairing them, so let's gear the boot process to protect newbies... (which will also save us work in the forums, as that complaint will be reduced)

sounds good and there was such a thing in the past but then there were complaints and it was removed, i don't recall an option to turn it off

took too long to boot
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:14    Post subject:  

jonyo wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:

I'd call that a solid foundation for any distro but then it means catering to the win crowd

Well, in the past, the complaint was that it takes longer to boot, when you perform a fsck every time. I find that when the pupsave is not corrupted, it takes almost no time, and should be performed when it is corrupted.

But the speed of modern machines (which covers most users), and an "expert" switch to turn this feature off, should handle almost every complaint against it.

BTW, I run fsck as a default option on all of my machines... My early experience with Puppy was several rounds of lost pupsaves, before I tested it, going back to 4.12 or there-abouts, and observed that I was not getting a clean shutdown in any of the versions. This behavior eventually corrupted the filesystem to a point of unusable.

jonyo

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:15    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy wrote:
puppyite wrote:
RetroTechGuy,

You are absolutely right, Puppyite. The project manager and his development team should decide what the best direction for the project is. After all, they know more about the peculiarities of Puppy than we do.

perhaps if they were elected, it would be less of an issue
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:16    Post subject:  

puppyite wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:
You're absolutely right, Joyno... We really should consider making performance of a filesystem...

As far as you are concerned the die is cast. This is to little and too late.

Too little, too late? Hardly... I perform a fsck on my filesystem on every boot. It works quite well.

However, I do understand that your desire is not to contribute to this process, unless you can be the boss.

jonyo

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:17    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy wrote:
jonyo wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:

Well, in the past, the complaint was that it takes longer to boot, when you perform a fsck every time. I find that when the pupsave is not corrupted, it takes almost no time, and should be performed when it is corrupted.

But the speed of modern machines (which covers most users), and an "expert" switch to turn this feature off, should handle almost every complaint against it.

BTW, I run fsck as a default option on all of my machines... My early experience with Puppy was several rounds of lost pupsaves, before I tested it, going back to 4.12 or there-abouts, and observed that I was not getting a clean shutdown in any of the versions. This behavior eventually corrupted the filesystem to a point of unusable.

I like the idea and i don't even wanna think of massive failures i ran across
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:18    Post subject:  

jonyo wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:

sounds good and there was such a thing in the past but then there were complaints and it was removed, i don't recall an option to turn it off

took too long to boot

Yes, I ran across that same complaint.

However, I'm a fan of data integrity, over speed. So if protecting my data takes a few more clock cycles, so be it.

RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:21    Post subject:  

jonyo wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:
puppyite wrote:
RetroTechGuy,

perhaps if they were elected, it would be less of an issue

No-one has denied you the power or right to elect a team to create a Puppy Community Edition.

I am quite comfortable with the process currently going forward for Spot.

RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:22    Post subject:  

jonyo wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:
jonyo wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:

I like the idea and i don't even wanna think of massive failures i ran across

Mine were at the point of: "no icons, grey screen of death"... I found all of my files from /root/ in /lost+found/...

jonyo

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2011, 15:27    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy wrote:
However, I'm a fan of data integrity, over speed. So if protecting my data takes a few more clock cycles, so be it.

my problem was i went too deep into unknown territory before taking backing up seriously ..i lost that one BIG time

it all seemed soooo good ..until reality reared up, and I even needed a few wake up calls duhhh Mad

Last edited by jonyo on Mon 23 May 2011, 15:33; edited 1 time in total
Page 17 of 19 [271 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: