Can't get puppy 5.2.5 to finsh booting

Booting, installing, newbie
uberjam

Can't get puppy 5.2.5 to finsh booting

#1 Post by uberjam »

Its loads everything somewhat slowly then freezes at loading kernal modual or something along that line any ideas why? The computer that im trying to run it on is kinda old its a dell deminsion 4600 with about 1gb of ram and a 2.66 ghz proccessor. Also I'm not trying to update or anything and i have never run linux on anything before and i burned it to a cd r disc but my master drive is a dvd r drive so it only boots in that disc drive.

Bruce B

Re: Can't get puppy 5.2.5 to finsh booting

#2 Post by Bruce B »

uberjam wrote:The computer that im trying to run it on is kinda old its a
dell deminsion 4600 with about 1gb of ram and a 2.66 ghz
proccessor
Mail it to me. Then you could buy a new one.

Maybe a bad burn. Curious with what software did you burn it with?

Maybe it will be easy to test the disc.

uberjam

#3 Post by uberjam »

i used cdburnerxp to burn the disc. Before i burnt it i checked the md5 checksum and it was the same as on the website

Dewbie

#4 Post by Dewbie »

Your computer might not like the kernel that 5.2.5 was built with.
Try Wary Puppy 5.1.1.
It's current, built with a slightly older kernel, and more suitable for a wider range of hardware...available here.
The main one is wary-511-k2.6.32.28.iso
You can also click on alternate_isos/ to get older-kernel versions of Wary 5.1.1.
Last edited by Dewbie on Sun 17 Apr 2011, 08:20, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

Re: Can't get puppy 5.2.5 to finsh booting

#5 Post by nooby »

uberjam wrote:Its loads everything somewhat slowly then freezes at loading kernal modual or something along that line any ideas why? The computer that im trying to run it on is kinda old its a dell deminsion 4600 with about 1gb of ram and a 2.66 ghz proccessor. Also I'm not trying to update or anything and i have never run linux on anything before and i burned it to a cd r disc but my master drive is a dvd r drive so it only boots in that disc drive.
You could test to add "safe booting cheat codes " to the kernel line.
Shinobar suggests these ones.

title Puppy safe mode\nStart puppy with safety boot options(without X)\nTry 'xorgwizard' after bootup succeed to start graphic mode.

kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=cd pfix=ram,nox acpi=off apm=off nosmp noapic nodma nopcmcia

initrd /initrd.gz

end of quote

see this part? acpi=off apm=off nosmp noapic nodma nopcmcia

You most likely don't need all of them. When Lupu failed to boot on my Acer D250 then I needed nosmp but maybe I needed one of the others but I was too lazy to test all of them one by one so when nosmp did boot then I stopped to try any of the others.

I had a CDLinux OS that failed to boot. I added what Shinobar recommended and it booted first try. So it is worth trying.

When the CD starts booting then puppy usually give you some 5 seconds to hit p as in puppy or maybe it is Space or something else. I don't have CD on this computer and don'tremember but the text shows for 5 sec that you can edit the boot.

so try with hitting p once when the boot is at its first puppy boot.
then proceed with

puppy acpi=off apm=off nosmp noapic nodma nopcmcia
and then hit enter and most likely it boot. If not get angry on the naive Nooby :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Shep

#6 Post by Shep »

uberjam wrote:i used cdburnerxp to burn the disc. Before i burnt it i checked the md5 checksum and it was the same as on the website
Not good enough. :) You need to check that the burn went okay, too. More CD problems are due to a bad burn rather than a bad download. So check the md5sum after burning, too.

Some software lets you do this immediately after burning, before you remove the CD. But at this stage, if you have a working puppy, try something like: md5sum /dev/sr0

If you don't have a working pup, then I suggest you burn another CD, this time setting the burn speed to as slow as possible, to minimize the likelihood of burn errors. And then try it as a live CD.

uberjam

#7 Post by uberjam »

Shep wrote:
uberjam wrote:i used cdburnerxp to burn the disc. Before i burnt it i checked the md5 checksum and it was the same as on the website
Not good enough. :) You need to check that the burn went okay, too. More CD problems are due to a bad burn rather than a bad download. So check the md5sum after burning, too.

Some software lets you do this immediately after burning, before you remove the CD. But at this stage, if you have a working puppy, try something like: md5sum /dev/sr0

If you don't have a working pup, then I suggest you burn another CD, this time setting the burn speed to as slow as possible, to minimize the likelihood of burn errors. And then try it as a live CD.

ok how do i check the checksum of the disc, when i look at whats on the disc theres like 6 files and i can't check them all at once and if i check them one at a time wouldn't they all have something different then anything elas?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#8 Post by Béèm »

uberjam, a good question.
I trust that Shed will explain how to do that.
I don't boot from CD anymore, but it could be that when booting from CD there is a menu option to check the files.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Shep

#9 Post by Shep »

uberjam wrote:
Shep wrote: But at this stage, if you have a working puppy, try something like: md5sum /dev/sr0
ok how do i check the checksum of the disc,
Open a terminal, using MENU > Utility > rxvt or similar
and on the command line type: md5sum /dev/sr0

8)

The md5sum of the disc will equal that of the .iso. Now, if you don't have a working linux, you won't be able to do this.

uberjam

#10 Post by uberjam »

Shep wrote:
uberjam wrote:
Shep wrote: But at this stage, if you have a working puppy, try something like: md5sum /dev/sr0
ok how do i check the checksum of the disc,
Open a terminal, using MENU > Utility > rxvt or similar
and on the command line type: md5sum /dev/sr0

8)

The md5sum of the disc will equal that of the .iso. Now, if you don't have a working linux, you won't be able to do this.

I'm still in windows cuz i can't get puppy to boot. I'm going to try wary puppy when i can get time to mess with my computer again.

Dewbie

#11 Post by Dewbie »

uberjam wrote:
I'm still in windows cuz i can't get puppy to boot.
When I first burned Puppy to CD with Windows, I followed the directions in the manual; specifically this:
(do not forget to choose low burning speed of 4X for CD or 1X for DVD).
Everything worked out OK, even without me checking the md5sum.
Puppy's integrated burner GUIs usually provide a click-button to use after burning, which allows you to check the md5sum without having to open a terminal.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#12 Post by Béèm »

Shep, didn't know either how to md5sum a CD and that it is the same as the ISO file. Seems logical. Thanks.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

cthisbear

#13 Post by cthisbear »

MD5 Checker 4 Windows...attached.

also use this >> mageburn...no install.. don't update.

ImgBurn.exe .... Size: 1.53 MB

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-fe571dfa.html

Chris.
Attachments
md5.zip
MD5 Checker 4 Windows
(24.58 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

uberjam

#14 Post by uberjam »

ok ill try burning a new disc at 4x speed a little later today.