Lucid Puppy 5.25 Feedback and Bug Reports

Please post any bugs you have found
PaulBx1

#76 Post by PaulBx1 »

01micko, just for grins I tried plugging that new init into my initrd.gz, but no go (still says "lupu_525.sfs not found"). So the fix is going to be more complicated than that. Probably wouldn't have worked in any case, as the init script is a whole lot different than lupu's. Oh, well...

When it dumped me at the prompt I tried looking at the appropriate variables (ATADRIVES, etc.) but they were all empty. Perhaps that is a result of exiting the script.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Frustrating network configuration

#77 Post by Béèm »

It is frustrating that the network wizard (not the SNS) indicates a successful network configuration, while the ip obtained is a APIPA.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Chriske

Unhide Fbpanel

#78 Post by Chriske »

I'm a newbie using 5.2.5 from a USB drive on a Dell Inspiron 531 and Openbox.

There seems to be a bug around the unhide feature for the Fbpanel/tray.

Autohide itself is successful. The problem is that whenever the cursor hovers near to the tray (about double its height it seems) then the tray pops-up and obscures the bottom part of whatever maximised window currently has focus.

That's an issue if the user wants to click anything in that area - say, the statusbar in Firefox. So, ideally the unhide should only kick in when the mouse hovers at the very edge of the bottom of the display.

Bill_Gates

#79 Post by Bill_Gates »

PaulBx1 wrote:OK, I did find the section for ALPS touchpad in xorg.conf, and added

Code: Select all

Option "TouchpadOff" "2"
to it, which works to turn off tapping. Apparently this is how to handle these touchpads. One wishes though, that either
1) some warning had been generated that flSynclient cannot be used to make permanent settings on this touchpad, and that it is done instead in xorg.conf, or
2) take that code out of load-touchpad-settings, and let flSynclient make the settings anyway (after xorg.conf has provided some reasonable default). Since Puppy is supposed to be easy and generally controls settings via gui apps (that is, it is not Arch), maybe the 2nd solution fits better.
I agree with PaulBx1 and don't understand why flSynclient doesn't work properly in 525 (save settings such as Tap off) when it seems to work fine in 511???
-Bill

[b][i]"Who needs M$ - Puppy Rules!"[/i][/b] :P

PaulBx1

#80 Post by PaulBx1 »

See this post about ISOLINUX:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 662#528662

I ran into that one as well.

PaulBx1

#81 Post by PaulBx1 »

I have a Sony laptop with 1GB of memory. 127MB has been allocated to /tmp (wrong, see below)

# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                  512648     14556    498092   3% /
/dev/sda1              7699384   5840572   1467696  80% /initrd/mnt/dev_save
/dev/loop1              253871    161864     92007  64% /initrd/pup_ro1
tmpfs                   512648     14556    498092   3% /initrd/pup_rw
tmpfs                   127460    126460      1000 100% /initrd/mnt/tmpfs
Apparently this is insufficient to download the big ubuntu repository lists in PPM. Embarrassing...

Running out of room in /tmp is one of the perennial Puppy problems. Maybe we should try to fix it?

<later>
OK maybe I am getting confused over what /tmp is, I guess it is /dev/shm, right? And that is 185MB, almost empty. Something is running out of resources though, as my longer PPM downloads are hanging. It looks like there is 56MB left in my pupsave, should be enough. Any place else to look?

# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                501M   12M  490M   3% /
/dev/sda1             7.4G  5.9G  1.2G  84% /initrd/mnt/dev_save
/dev/loop1            248M  192M   56M  78% /initrd/pup_ro1
tmpfs                 501M   12M  490M   3% /initrd/pup_rw
tmpfs                 125M  124M 1000K 100% /initrd/mnt/tmpfs
/dev/loop0            124M  124M     0 100% /initrd/pup_ro2
unionfs               501M   12M  490M   3% /
shmfs                 185M     0  185M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/loop2            5.0G  2.5G  2.3G  52% /mnt/truecrypt1

bigpup

#82 Post by bigpup »

PaulBx1 wrote:Something is running out of resources though, as my longer PPM downloads are hanging. It looks like there is 56MB left in my pupsave, should be enough.
Depends on size of PPM downloaded program package.
When you download a PPM package it is compressed.
To install, it has to uncompress temporarily, install the package, and delete the temp uncompressed files. General rule you need 3 to 4 times the space in Pupsave that the package will use after the install process has finished. Size of the installed package could be much larger depending on how small it could be compressed.
Example:
A full install of the Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 ISO of 128MB ( a compressed file), is 312 MB after install.

PaulBx1

#83 Post by PaulBx1 »

Yeah, but the largest of those downloads are around 5 MB. Even expanded that should not be a problem. I've run pupsaves with a lot less space than 56MB and had it work OK. It's the first big one that dies, not the last one.

I ran into yet another problem. I can only watch 15 or 20 seconds of a youtube before it stalls. This is getting ridiculous. I may have to go back to 511.

Maybe the thing in the taskbar is not accurately portraying how much room I have left. I suppose I will try making it larger (although I decided I don't like big pupsaves) to see if that has any effect.

bigpup

#84 Post by bigpup »

PaulBx1e wrote:I ran into yet another problem. I can only watch 15 or 20 seconds of a youtube before it stalls. This is getting ridiculous. I may have to go back to 511.
Are you sure that the image quality setting is a figure that your connection can give smooth streaming.
Anything higher than 360 and my internet connection speed makes videos stall.
Attachments
you tube.jpg
(14.54 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#85 Post by bigpup »

PaulBx1 wrote:Yeah, but the largest of those downloads are around 5 MB. Even expanded that should not be a problem. I've run pupsaves with a lot less space than 56MB and had it work OK. It's the first big one that dies, not the last one.

Maybe the thing in the taskbar is not accurately portraying how much room I have left. I suppose I will try making it larger (although I decided I don't like big pupsaves) to see if that has any effect.
This does seem to be a off and on problem with people. Would be nice to find what the real cause is.

Temp directory in pupsave.
A lot of stuff goes into the temp directory in the process of running programs.
A wonder if this is being reflected in the available free space indicator in the program tray?

PaulBx1

#86 Post by PaulBx1 »

I'm now visiting a friend so have a different internet connection, and now the youtube problem appears to have vanished. I never paid attention to the resolution before but it says 360 now.

It was not looking like this type of problem before, but more like a resource issue. I could run the youtube and it would stop at 14 seconds. I could then stop and rerun it and it would stop in the same place, over and over again. It was the download that was stalling.

Who the heck knows what is going on? I don't have the knowledge to troubleshoot it.

bigpup

#87 Post by bigpup »

PaulBx1 wrote:I'm now visiting a friend so have a different internet connection, and now the youtube problem appears to have vanished. I never paid attention to the resolution before but it says 360 now.

It was not looking like this type of problem before, but more like a resource issue. I could run the youtube and it would stop at 14 seconds. I could then stop and rerun it and it would stop in the same place, over and over again. It was the download that was stalling.

Who the heck knows what is going on? I don't have the knowledge to troubleshoot it.
ISP service is a strange other world. What they say will happen is far from what is reality!

darkcity

#88 Post by darkcity »

@Chriske

There's a thread about the auto hide on 5.2.5 here

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68385

bigpup

#89 Post by bigpup »

There is a bug in Openbox window manager when you put the taskbar at the top.
I like my menu bar on the top of the screen

The default window manager for Puppy 5.2.5 is Openbox.
For some reason when you put the taskbar at the top, the desktop does not adjust for this position.
The work around is to do this:
menu->desktop->desktop settings->Openbox window manager config
In the margins tab
Adjust the top margin to move the desktop down to just below the taskbar.
On my computer 27px setting did it.
Attachments
margin setting.jpg
(21.88 KiB) Downloaded 919 times

PaulBx1

#90 Post by PaulBx1 »

I'm back down to seeing only 19 seconds of youtubes, even after a reboot. This is maddening! :x

I noticed that in this discussion, there is a line for /tmp in "df -h", but that is not so now. How can I tell how much room is left in /tmp? Anyone?

PaulBx1

#91 Post by PaulBx1 »

I bumped my pupsave size by 64MB, taking my free space there to 115MB according to the taskbar thingy. This had the effect of increasing the amount of the youtube I was watching to 28 seconds. Whoopee! :cry:

FWIW, this is the youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNf6_ivPk4

But other, longer youtubes play to completion. Weird.

bigpup

#92 Post by bigpup »

PaulBx1 wrote:I bumped my pupsave size by 64MB, taking my free space there to 115MB according to the taskbar thingy. This had the effect of increasing the amount of the youtube I was watching to 28 seconds. Whoopee! :cry:

FWIW, this is the youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNf6_ivPk4

But other, longer youtubes play to completion. Weird.
I tried the Youtube movie you are having problems with.
Worked for me with no problems.
I know, you wanted to hear that!
Could have something to do with the version of Adobe Flash you are using?
The browser you are using?
If you right click on the movie display screen, you will be given options for how Adobe Flash works.

mikeslr

Problem with Boot Manager Config -- or just me?

#93 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I decided that I use LibreOffice Write and Calc so often that it made sense to load the LibreOffice SFS on bootup. Although "Boot Manager Configure bootup" see the SFS --named LibreOffice33.SFS-- as an SFS of the proper version and permits me to move it to the right hand pane (of SFSes to be loaded at bootup) and is the only SFS in that pane, both before and after booting, it does not load. I have no problem loading it via JRB's Linker.

Is this just a naming problem, i.e, requiring that the name be changed? or is there a bug in the Boot Manager Configure App?

MikesLr

smokey01

#94 Post by smokey01 »

mikesir,

It should work but you could try renaming the file to:
LibreOffice_33.SFS

Jesse

USB boot without hard drive?

#95 Post by Jesse »

Hi All,

I set up a computer with Lucid 5.2.5, booting from a usb card.
It all worked lovely until I took out the hard drive.
The hard drive was not being used in any way, no swap partition or puppy files are on it.
The PC has 1gb ram, and I am using a 256Mb Usb chip for booting.
The boot screen at "loading drivers to access hard drives ..." kicks me out to the command prompt, mentioning that it cannot find lupu-525.sfs. But I can find my sdb1, mount it, and find lupu-525.sfs there, so something just needs a wee tweak.
If I plug the hard disk back in (ide 80Gb) the usb boot works, I find this a bit odd that I can't boot without a hard drive.

Can someone please point me in the direction of which script is in charge of that task that is failing (presumably in the initrd.gz somewhere)?
Also I'll need to know how to extract and bundle the initrd.gz file too.

Cheers,
Jesse