I used the universal installer.
Installed Lucid 5.25 to a partition that had a full install of Lucid 5.2
Selected full install
Selected wipe not upgrade.
Install completed.
Booted new install of Lucid 5.25
All kinds of problems.
Biggest one, mouse would not work.
The universal installer seems to have problems with old Puppy files present when doing an install.

wuwei

Scrambled desktop icons

#17 Post by wuwei »

This is not a specific 525 problem, but it does occur here and before posting to an outdated thread, I thought I'd do it here.

Any change, addition or deletion of an additional SFS file results in scrambled desktop icons at the first boot. This is an unsolved problem with all Puppies, as far back as I can remember and that was 217. The phenomenon even occurs when just the name of the pupsave file is changed from say pupsave-x.sfs to pupsave-y.sfs, or lupusave as it is now.

Somewhere in the forum I read that this issue will be taken up at some future development. Great!

However, for all those of us who can't program themselves, I kindly request a work-around for the time being.

My concept is a GUI that does this:

1. Copy /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin.copy and overrides any previous versions, if any.
This saves the current desktop arrangement for future needs.

2. Copy /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin.copy to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and override it. Restart Xserver.
This brings back the previously saved arrangement after the scrambling occured.

It does not seem to be a difficult programming task, but it goes way over my abilities.

Any takers? A lot of Puppy users will be ever so grateful!

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

bigpup wrote: ... gcmartin,
Wonder why your Lupu_525.sfs file icon is different from mine?
Probably the FATDOG distro screen fonts/icon/extensions. Would you run a ls -l on your CD contents and compare the flags please? This might show something that is missing on this Live media. My listing is offered in a prior thread. Here is the contents of another of the many vegetables I had created in trying to trap this problem in PUP525. This Live media was fully blanked, Pburned, booted, Live system tailored, shutdown requested, and "Saved to CD" before become a vegetable that is not recognized when PC is booted..

Code: Select all

# ls -l /mnt/sr1
total 130416
drwxrwxrwt 10 root root      2048 2011-04-06 00:07 2011-04-06-00-50
-r--r--r--  1 root root      2048 2011-04-02 02:18 boot.cat
-rw-r--r--  1 root root       126 2011-04-02 02:18 boot.msg
-rw-r--r--  1 root root      1200 2011-04-02 02:18 help2.msg
-rw-r--r--  1 root root      1235 2011-04-02 02:18 help.msg
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   1902978 2011-04-02 02:11 initrd.gz
-rw-rw-r--  1 1026 1026     24576 2010-10-22 21:07 isolinux.bin
-rw-r--r--  1 root root       151 2011-04-02 02:18 isolinux.cfg
-rw-r--r--  1 root root     19804 2011-04-02 02:18 logo.16
-rwx------  1 root root 129359888 2011-04-02 02:18 lupu_525.sfs
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   2228816 2011-04-02 02:11 vmlinuz
Anything you see could be useful.

bigpup

#19 Post by bigpup »

gcmartin,
Here is what is on my multi-session Lucid 5.25 CD with save file to CD.
It works with no problem. Multiple reboots and saves.

# ls -l
total 130420
drwxrwxrwt 9 root root 2048 2011-04-12 17:09 2011-04-12-17-10
drwxrwxrwt 9 root root 2048 2011-04-12 21:28 2011-04-12-21-30
drwxrwxrwt 8 root root 2048 2011-04-11 18:32 2011-04-12-21-55
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 2048 2011-04-01 22:18 boot.cat
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 126 2011-04-01 22:18 boot.msg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1200 2011-04-01 22:18 help2.msg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1235 2011-04-01 22:18 help.msg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1902978 2011-04-01 22:11 initrd.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1026 1026 24576 2010-10-22 17:07 isolinux.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 151 2011-04-01 22:18 isolinux.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19804 2011-04-01 22:18 logo.16
-rwx------ 1 root root 129359888 2011-04-01 22:18 lupu_525.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2228816 2011-04-01 22:11 vmlinuz
#

Where did you get your version of Lucid 5.25?
I ask because I had a lot of trouble with the one from the Diddywahdiddy site.
Mine I got from
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ppy-5.2.5/
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 13 Apr 2011, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#20 Post by bigpup »

bigpup wrote:I used the universal installer.
Installed Lucid 5.25 to a partition that had a full install of Lucid 5.2
Selected full install
Selected wipe not upgrade.
Install completed.
Booted new install of Lucid 5.25
All kinds of problems.
Biggest one, mouse would not work.
The universal installer seems to have problems with old Puppy files present when doing an install.
To get a good working install:
Tried deleting all files on partition and doing a fresh full install with universal installer.
Did not work.
Used Gparted to delete the partition.
Made new partition of the unallocated space.
Used universal installer to do full install to this new partition.
Worked with no problems.

It seems to me that the presence of old Puppy files does have an effect on how an install will go.

666philb

Re: Scrambled desktop icons

#21 Post by 666philb »

wuwei wrote:This is not a specific 525 problem, but it does occur here and before posting to an outdated thread, I thought I'd do it here.

Any change, addition or deletion of an additional SFS file results in scrambled desktop icons at the first boot. This is an unsolved problem with all Puppies, as far back as I can remember and that was 217. The phenomenon even occurs when just the name of the pupsave file is changed from say pupsave-x.sfs to pupsave-y.sfs, or lupusave as it is now.

Somewhere in the forum I read that this issue will be taken up at some future development. Great!

However, for all those of us who can't program themselves, I kindly request a work-around for the time being.

My concept is a GUI that does this:

1. Copy /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin.copy and overrides any previous versions, if any.
This saves the current desktop arrangement for future needs.

2. Copy /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin.copy to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and override it. Restart Xserver.
This brings back the previously saved arrangement after the scrambling occured.

It does not seem to be a difficult programming task, but it goes way over my abilities.

Any takers? A lot of Puppy users will be ever so grateful!
Puppy already has this

In the menu/desktop/desktopsettings/desksetup templates for desk icons
select custom and save your custom arrangement. and exit.

Then when the inevitable happens, as after installing an sfs. launch desksetup again, check the custom box is checked, and press apply.
Your icons return to their previously saved state

i just realised that my puppy may have this because i installed the 'pup combo plus.pet' which includes it.. desksetup.pet herehttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 133#488133
Bigpup pointed me at this
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

goolwa_pup

#22 Post by goolwa_pup »

tony wrote:Hi,

on my thinkpad t42 had the same problem but transferred to usb stick and booted with grub. now OK.

But after installing W-bar and new wallpaper, bottom right hand digital clock has disappeared.
Probably not of great comfort to you Tony but I am using 525 (from the hard drive) with wbar and a different wallpaper, on my Thinkpad T43, 1 GB, 1.86 CPU, Intel graphics and it is working fine

bigpup

#23 Post by bigpup »

tony wrote:Hi,
But after installing W-bar and new wallpaper, bottom right hand digital clock has disappeared.
Typing fixmenus in monitor produces an endless loop of :-
Regards Tony
How are you running Puppy?
How did you install W-Bar?
Where did you get W-Bar?
How did you install new wallpaper?
Where did you get wallpaper?
What are your computers specs?

bigpup

#24 Post by bigpup »

desksetup templates for desk icons

This program comes installed in basic Lucid Puppy 5.25

Works very well at making a backup copy of the desktop icon layout. Can easily restore a messed up desktop.

If you select:
click this button to save your custom arrangement
It will save the present desktop as a custom saved profile.
(making a backup of the desktop)
To restore desktop:
select custom-choose your saved profile
click apply
Attachments
image 3.jpg
(42.19 KiB) Downloaded 1763 times

tony

#25 Post by tony »

Deskto setup 0.4

Where to find ???

regards tony

wuwei

Desktop Icons

#26 Post by wuwei »

@ 666philb and bigpup:

Yes yes yes. That's it!
I tried it in Quirky 1.3 and Lucid 525. Works like a charm in both systems.

Thanks for pointing me to a "new" application.

@tony:

Link is in 666philb's post a bit up the page.

bigpup

#27 Post by bigpup »

tony wrote:Deskto setup 0.4

Where to find ???

regards tony
menu->desktop->desktop settings->desksetup templates for Desk icons

PaulBx1

#28 Post by PaulBx1 »

It seems to me that the presence of old Puppy files does have an effect on how an install will go.
Yes, something is broken. You don't think it's a missmatch of .cfg file with the particular syslinux used, as I mentioned earlier?

I wonder when the Universal Installer was last messed with. It's not very universal any more.

Clearly, if it asks you "upgrade or wipe", then upgrade must be a supported option. I didn't even know you could do a full install on a flash drive; seems like it would wear out the flash drive fast. If you are saying full installs are for hard drives only, then I agree. I just don't see where you got the idea I was doing a full install. There is no hard drive in this picture; none in my laptop and none in my desktop.

I was not intending to do a full install, but to use a pupsave. I was installing to a flash drive that already worked that way in 511, and doing it as an upgrade, not wiping the whole drive first. There is no reason this should not be upgradable, and no indication in the Universal Installer that it is not. It's just the replacement of some files. There is no reason there should be any difficulty with this; it's not as if overwriting files is a new concept.

PaulBx1

#29 Post by PaulBx1 »

Well I tried it again. This time I took the 511 version of puppyinstaller over to 525 to see if I could run that (there have been 6 changes of puppyinstaller since 511, and I was wondering if one of them were bad). I got the same result, unable to find lupu_525.sfs. However in order to get it to run, I had to edit it. Apparently the name of the sfs has changed, not only in the revision but also in that the dash has become an underscore. That is, lupu-511.sfs, became lupu_525.sfs (I just tried to bold the dash and underscore but I don't see that for some reason). I don't know if that is significant to this problem, but it makes me wonder why that was done since it must have broken a lot of scripts. I did try renaming it lupu-525.sfs but that didn't change anything; it still (now more reasonably) reported not being able to find lupu_525.sfs.

Which made me wonder: how exactly is it that it knows to look for this filename? Is that hard-coded into initrd.gz? Maybe initrd.gz is the problem...

It drops me at the prompt when this happens. I wonder if there is something I can check at this point? I did an "ls" but nothing is familiar.

bigpup

#30 Post by bigpup »

PaulBx1 wrote:Clearly, if it asks you "upgrade or wipe", then upgrade must be a supported option. I didn't even know you could do a full install on a flash drive; seems like it would wear out the flash drive fast. If you are saying full installs are for hard drives only, then I agree. I just don't see where you got the idea I was doing a full install. There is no hard drive in this picture; none in my laptop and none in my desktop.

I was not intending to do a full install, but to use a pupsave. I was installing to a flash drive that already worked that way in 511, and doing it as an upgrade, not wiping the whole drive first. There is no reason this should not be upgradable, and no indication in the Universal Installer that it is not. It's just the replacement of some files. There is no reason there should be any difficulty with this; it's not as if overwriting files is a new concept.
Yes,Flash drives can only have frugal installs.

The universal installer will not upgrade a frugal install.
The upgrade option is for full installs.
The universal installer is not designed to overwrite a frugal install with another frugal install.

A frugal install can be upgraded, but it has to be done manually.
The way to upgrade a frugal install or install that uses a pupsave:
Use Rox Filer file manager.
Manually replace all the files except the old pupsave file.
(Delete the old files before installing the new ones)
If using a boot loader may need to edit it's menu.lst to reflect the newer version.
Reboot with the new files and when the old pupsave file is found it will be updated. (Maybe)
(sometimes this does not work 100%)
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#31 Post by bigpup »

PaulBx1 wrote:Well I tried it again. This time I took the 511 version of puppyinstaller over to 525 to see if I could run that (there have been 6 changes of puppyinstaller since 511, and I was wondering if one of them were bad). I got the same result, unable to find lupu_525.sfs. However in order to get it to run, I had to edit it. Apparently the name of the sfs has changed, not only in the revision but also in that the dash has become an underscore. That is, lupu-511.sfs, became lupu_525.sfs (I just tried to bold the dash and underscore but I don't see that for some reason). I don't know if that is significant to this problem, but it makes me wonder why that was done since it must have broken a lot of scripts. I did try renaming it lupu-525.sfs but that didn't change anything; it still (now more reasonably) reported not being able to find lupu_525.sfs.

Which made me wonder: how exactly is it that it knows to look for this filename? Is that hard-coded into initrd.gz? Maybe initrd.gz is the problem...

It drops me at the prompt when this happens. I wonder if there is something I can check at this point? I did an "ls" but nothing is familiar.
The universal installer that comes with Lucid 5.25 is designed to work with Lucid 5.25
I am getting confused about what you are trying to do.
If you are trying to upgrade a frugal install to a flash drive, See above post.
If you are trying to do a fresh install to a flash drive, use the program menu->setup-> Bootflash install Puppy to USB.

Sylvander

#32 Post by Sylvander »

Within Lupu-525...
When using Xfe...
And I right-click on a file, and choose "Open with..."...
There is only ever 1 program listed as available for opening files.
If I choose a new program, it REPLACES the existing program in the list.
Doesn't add to the list.
This is abnormal behavior.
It aught to be possible to add multiple programs to the list.
Attachments
00.jpg
(14.42 KiB) Downloaded 1930 times

bigpup

#33 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:Within Lupu-525...
When using Xfe...
And I right-click on a file, and choose "Open with..."...
There is only ever 1 program listed as available for opening files.
If I choose a new program, it REPLACES the existing program in the list.
Doesn't add to the list.
This is abnormal behavior.
It aught to be possible to add multiple programs to the list.
See if this will give you what you are looking for.
RoxRightclicks
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37410

Sylvander

#34 Post by Sylvander »

1. "See if this will give you what you are looking for.
RoxRightclicks
"
(a) No, this isn't what I'm looking for. :(
As I said, it's the Xfe->"Open with..." feature I'm attempting to fix.

(b) I don't use ROX very much, and its "Open with..." feature is functioning well, as is.

bigpup

#35 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:1. "See if this will give you what you are looking for.
RoxRightclicks
"
(a) No, this isn't what I'm looking for. :(
As I said, it's the Xfe->"Open with..." feature I'm attempting to fix.

(b) I don't use ROX very much, and its "Open with..." feature is functioning well, as is.
Maybe something with the config files would help.
http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/index.php?page=docs