Is mozilla really a good/the best browser?

Please post any bugs you have found
PeterSieg

Is mozilla really a good/the best browser?

#1 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi. I have experienced difficulties with 1.0.8 and mozilla, rendering very complex web pages with probably the need to rescaling images.

The system uses almost 100% CPU. You can't do anything then..?
(Only ctrl+alt+bs or ctrl+alt+del)

I think I had this before also in 1.0.7 etc. with mozilla.

With opera and firefox, I don't experienced such problems..
I have 'only' 120MB Ram (8MB for graphic card)..
CPU is Duron 1300MHz - should be plenty enough..
Screen size is 1280x1024+16 using Xorg.

For example: www.asus.com ...

More simpler pages like www.goosee.com, Puppy forum etc. are no
problem at all!

PS
Have fun :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

We have discussed this many times.
If you prefer Opera or Firefox, install them. :)

Mozilla seems the most stable. I think composer is the stumbling block but there are ways around that. What you seem to be asking is please make something else the default because I prefer it. No? I have a feeling we will move to Firefox eventually, simply because it is easier and simpler to use. I really liked the triple version of Puppy we had (I think it was roundabout the 1.0.0 version) Three versions of Puppy Opera, Firefox or Mozilla - Now that is choice.

I suppose someone if they were really interested could remaster and upload Puppy Firefox 1.0.8r1

I am using Firefox at the moment (in Ubuntu) and yes it is great.

Is anyone up for it? Peter?
Perhaps you might start a Poll because I never hear anyone who prefers Mozilla - ahhh . . . now there is a big clue . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PeterSieg

What is the >>best<< browser

#3 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi Lobster.
Mozilla seems the most stable. I think composer is the stumbling block but there are ways around that. What you seem to be asking is please make something else the default because I prefer it. No?
My point is, that IF mozilla would be a stable browser, I personally would NOT care, whether mozilla, firefox or opera would be the default browser in Puppy...

BUT, it seems to me (from own experiences), that mozilla is actually the weakest browser from the selection above!

Now my question is probably, do I only have such bad experiances with mozilla..? Or are there anybody out there having same/similiar experiences..?

If someone wants to start a poll, it should be not 'which one is the >>best<<', but rather which one is the most stable one and does the job you asked for.. (of course keeping size in mind)..

One occasion was not nice for Puppy, when I showed puppy, browsing to
such a bloatet site and puppy freezing, compared to doing the same in win$ and it works without a problem :(

I do prefer firefox for browser and seamonkey for mail, but as I said,
I can use also mozilla and sylpheed - if they do the job!

Maybe you are right.. probably we should start a voting for browsers and
also email program.. Just to see what the community thinks..

Didn't we had that before, or was it just the window manager issue..?

PS
Have fun :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I haven't yet had a problem with Mozilla. I prefer it because it comes with a full-featured (html) e-mail program and some tools that other browsers don't. Of course, Firefox plux Thunderbird is pretty much the same thing.

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

petersiege wrote:Now my question is probably, do I only have such bad experiances with mozilla..?
I wouldn't know. I only use Puppy's default browser to install Opera as soon as I install a new version. ;)

Actually the default browser is one of the issues I prefer to leave to the preferences or wisdom of Barry.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

slvrldy17

Preferred Browser

#6 Post by slvrldy17 »

In the short time that I have been working with Puppy I have at least looked at the major browser choices and my choices are as follows:

1. Firefox combined with Thunderbird for E-mail - for ease in setting up and using tabbed browsing and the range of extensions that will work and allow customizing of this combo.

2. Opera - A VERY close second place to the above and since it includes a mail client perhaps a first choice if space/size footprint is an issue.

3. Dillo and Sylpheed - useable alone if your needs are simple or as an adjunct/backup/supplement to Firefox and/or Opera.

4. Mozilla suite/Seamonkey - a bloated and less capable/flexible substitute for any of the above. When you stop and think about it there is a good reason why the folks at Mozilla stopped working on this project - they likely concluded that its limitations made it far less useable/flexible than #1 and 2 above and decided to concentrate thier official efforts where there was the greatest chance of reward/success.

5. As a matter of interest - my choice of the current version of Puppy - Empty Crust Puppy - no wasted space/size on stuff that I don't use or want!

mgs

#7 Post by mgs »

Peter

For what it's worth on similar but even more limited system than yours -

puppy 1.07
128M - whatever integrated graphics is using (Intel 810)
900MHz Via
1024 x 768 x16 screen (xorg)

Mozilla has never proved troublesome and loads the asus web site without difficulty!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

I'm using Seamonkey, and the asus site loads fine, but I've got 256M RAM.
If you only have 128M and no swap partition, then perhaps there might be a problem with not enough memory?

ducwiz

#9 Post by ducwiz »

Peter,

I just installed puppy 1.07 for Win98 (sorry, BarryK ..) on a friends machine;
AMD K6-2 533 MHz, MBoard NMC 5VMX, 128MB RAM, ATI Xpert AGP 8MB Gfx.
Everything runs (just now as i'm posting) fast and smooth, no problems or even hangups, especially with the Asus site you mentioned.
You should consider to install a AGP or PCI card instead of your onboard solution with shared memory.

d.

lostdog

#10 Post by lostdog »

Sorrry for the double post.
Last edited by lostdog on Mon 20 Mar 2006, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
The truth is out there.

lostdog

#11 Post by lostdog »

I have a Dell Dimension XPS R450 with Celeron 450 256 mg ram and AGP Rage Pro 3D with 8 mg onboard ram.
The page loaded fast in Mozilla, but the CPU monitor in XFCE stayed red even after the page was loaded. It looked like about 90 to 95 %.

I prefer Firefox because it is a little faster and highly configurable. But every time I install it the menu and tool bar fonts are so small I can't read them. I tried editing the .css file but it was not used for some reason. It seemed to be ovderriden by some other config file, or part of Firefox.
The truth is out there.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

lostdog, would this thread be any use?

lostdog

#13 Post by lostdog »

Thanks Flash,
I tried editing the .css file but it was not used for some reason. It seemed to be ovderriden by some other config file, or part of Firefox.
The truth is out there.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

So, what did you do? What happened?

lostdog

#15 Post by lostdog »

Some suggested the same post in a diferent thread. I followed the instructions to the letter, and when I restarted firefox, there was no change. The tool bar, menu and url bar all still had the tiny fonts.
The truth is out there.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#16 Post by GuestToo »

Firefox 1.5 looks like this on my machine:

http://i1.tinypic.com/ru1u6h.png

Leon

#17 Post by Leon »

lostdog wrote:Some suggested the same post in a diferent thread. I followed the instructions to the letter, and when I restarted firefox, there was no change. The tool bar, menu and url bar all still had the tiny fonts.
This is the path to Firefox user configuration file on my computer:

root/.mozilla/firefox/zezfkl57.default/chrome/userChrome.ss

'zezfkl57.default' directory could have a different name.

Could you post here the path to your userChrome.ss file and its contents?

lior2b

#18 Post by lior2b »

My take on why Firerfox should be the default browser.

I came across this:
[quote]Paul, as a non-mainline distributer who needed to chose between Epiphany and Firefox and has chosen Firefox, I feel obliged to answer why we did so.

The only really important reason was marketing. There is already a huge marketing force behind Firefox everywhere in the world (most of it free evangelism by journalists), it being the main rival of the MS/IE monopoly. With shipping Firefox (and mentioning it in our marketing material), we are building on that marketing wave. So many people have heard about Firefox these days that we will alienate the want-to-be-different users if we don
[color=#4682B4]Lior Tubi[/color]

lostdog

#19 Post by lostdog »

This is my user chrome file. The fonts are still tiny, and hard to read.
/*
* Edit this file and copy it as userChrome.css into your
* profile-directory/chrome/
*/

/*
* This file can be used to customize the look of Mozilla's user interface
* You should consider using !important on rules which you want to
* override default settings.
*/

/*
* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning
*/
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

/*
* Some possible accessibility enhancements:
*/
/*
* Make all the default font sizes 20 pt:
* * {
* font-size: 20pt !important
* }
*/
/*
* Make menu items in particular 20 pt instead of the default size:
* menupopup > * {
* font-size: 20pt !important
* }
*/
/*
* Give the Location (URL) Bar a fixed-width font
* #urlbar {
* font-family: monospace !important;
* }
*/

/*
* Eliminate the throbber and its annoying movement:
* #throbber-box {
* display: none !important;
* }
*/

/*
* For more examples see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html
*/
The truth is out there.

Leon

#20 Post by Leon »

lostdog wrote:This is my user chrome file. The fonts are still tiny, and hard to read.
Your font settings are inside the comment signs.

You can see the warning in my instructions at:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6722
Leon wrote:Warning
The font size settings must be outside of comment signs '/*' and '*/'. Here is a comment example:
/*
This text is comment.
*/
To fix your menu font settings:
- Close Firefox.
- Open your userChrome.css file file with editor. Move the cursor to the end of file and press Enter to start new line.
- Copy the text from the following code section and pase it to the end of your userChrome.css file and press Enter to add one additional blank new line at the end of file. I think that 12pt as font-size value will be enough. If not then you just increase the value. For font-family value Tahoma is good choice also.

Code: Select all

/*
Menu font settings
*/

* {font-size: 12pt !important;}
* {font-family: Arial !important;}

/*
End of userChrome.css
*/

- Save the file and start Firefox.