Missing the CPU usage icon in JWM Tray [Solved]

Using applications, configuring, problems
mickee
Location: Saskatoon SK Canada, Gateway 5300 Laptop, 600MHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, lucid puppy 5.2 (Full Install)

Missing the CPU usage icon in JWM Tray [Solved]

#1 Post by mickee »

I know I can use a PWidget, but I prefer the compact CPU graph in the tray. It used to be there... and shows when I use Open Box, but not with JWM. There is a blank spot where it normally resides, beside the clock.

Was wondering also, what is "blinky", JUST the network icon in the tray? Or is blinky running the tray? I have searched, but cannot seem to find a solution. Or even what caused it to disappear in the first place.

**Lovin' Puppy!***
Last edited by mickee on Sat 09 Apr 2011, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/The_Wizard_of_OZ/Lindows-NOT-1.jpg[/img]
Linux is [i][b]NOT[/b][/i] Windows. Doesn't [i][b]PRETEND[/b][/i] to be, Doesn't [i][b]WANT [/b][/i]to be; Don't try to [i][b]MAKE[/b][/i] it be.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

It used to be there... and shows when I use Open Box, but not with JWM.
They are two different things.
Openbox has its own graph showing CPU usage i.e. 0% to 100%.
Puppy's tray is normally configured to swallow xload, which is a separate program that shows CPU load, i.e. number of threads, from 0 to infinity.
There is also now a CPU usage trayapp which will work with JWM or pretty much any other window manager, if you want one. But I doubt that it is included by default in a standard Puppy.
what is "blinky", JUST the network icon in the tray?
Yes.
There is a blank spot where it normally resides, beside the clock.
Hmmm. Does xload run OK if you start it from a terminal?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mickee
Location: Saskatoon SK Canada, Gateway 5300 Laptop, 600MHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, lucid puppy 5.2 (Full Install)

#3 Post by mickee »

disciple wrote:
There is also now a CPU usage trayapp which will work with JWM or pretty much any other window manager, if you want one. But I doubt that it is included by default in a standard Puppy.

I would like to try this.

There is a blank spot where it normally resides, beside the clock.
Hmmm. Does xload run OK if you start it from a terminal?

What I have now is a small white box with a small black line (about a pixel high, slowly moving left to right) with 'pupp' showing?

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

OK, that sounds like xload is working. So the problem is with swallowing it into the JWM tray.
I presume you've tried restarting X or puppy? I think sometimes when you just restart JWM it doesn't quite swallow programs correctly.

Do you get any messages if you run `jwm -p` in a terminal?

Can you look in /root/.jwmrc-tray and post the section that looks something like this?:

Code: Select all

<Swallow name="xload" width="32">
			xload -nolabel -update 1 -bg "#BCBAB5" -fg red -hl white
		</Swallow>
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mickee

#5 Post by mickee »

disciple wrote:OK, that sounds like xload is working. So the problem is with swallowing it into the JWM tray.
I presume you've tried restarting X or puppy? I think sometimes when you just restart JWM it doesn't quite swallow programs correctly.

Do you get any messages if you run `jwm -p` in a terminal?

Can you look in /root/.jwmrc-tray and post the section that looks something like this?:

Code: Select all

<Swallow name="xload" width="32">
			xload -nolabel -update 1 -bg "#BCBAB5" -fg red -hl white
		</Swallow>
so I added this part: xload -nolabel -update 1 -bg "#BCBAB5" -fg red -hl white

and it works! Thanks disciple :D
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/The_Wizard_of_OZ/Lindows-NOT-1.jpg[/img]
Linux is [i][b]NOT[/b][/i] Windows. Doesn't [i][b]PRETEND[/b][/i] to be, Doesn't [i][b]WANT [/b][/i]to be; Don't try to [i][b]MAKE[/b][/i] it be.