Old ATI Makes My Cursor Freeze

Please post any bugs you have found
OFC Dark Puppy

Old ATI Makes My Cursor Freeze

#1 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

Well I have to reiterate the above title. It's several things. Of which my graphic cards are mostly responsible. See, I have a dual set and they do not get along at all. An embedded Intel graphics controller and an old ATI 9200.

I had to march into the bios and switch from AGP to PCI in order to get some stability. Now since doing so, I've noticed that my Windows Machine, and not just Puppy are behaving oddly.

However I mostly use Puppy so that's all that I really care about. Every now and then my Screen resolution will change without my say so and when I restart X-server it will go back to normal. This problem has been especially prevalent since installing the Xorg High drivers.

My mouse will sometimes freeze in place and I'll have no choice but to reboot.
Or my mouse will begin glitching and flashing, unable to move barely anywhere and incapable of clicking on anything. Also forcing me to have to shut down. These problems have made it almost impossible for me to be able to do much on my computer.

Is this a known problem and has anyone else fixed it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Not sure which graphics controller you want to use.

If you want the ATI 9200,
There should be an option, in the bios, to turn off the on-board Intel controller.
You also need to go back to using AGP if the controller is an AGP interface.

If you want the Intel on-board controller,
Remove the ATI graphics card.
Make sure the Intel controller is turned on in bios. ( should do this automatically if it is all that is installed)

One of the controllers could be broken.

OFC Dark Puppy

#3 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

It's not that simple. I want to use my ATI. My Bios does not come with an option to switch graphic cards. My Bios is protected. I can only switch between PCI and AGP. It's as far as I can actually go. That is the main issue.

The white screens I discovered are caused by a faulty monitor. My monitor is beginning to die. Can monitors also affect other display aspects, such as the mouse?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

What computer do you have?
What type and brand/model?
What do you mean by my bios is protected?
What version of Puppy?
How is Puppy installed?
The white screens I discovered are caused by a faulty monitor. My monitor is beginning to die. Can monitors also affect other display aspects, such as the mouse?
Yes. But also a lot of other things could cause this.
To really start to determine cause I need answers to my questions.

OFC Dark Puppy

#5 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

bigpup wrote:What computer do you have?
What type and brand/model?
E-machines T3990
bigpup wrote:What do you mean by my bios is protected?
I go into the bios and most of it is greyed out on default so you can't mess with it.
bigpup wrote:What version of Puppy?
I've used 520,macpup and I'm using 525 right now.
bigpup wrote:How is Puppy installed?
I manually extracted the lupu525.sfs into a folder on my hard drive and used grub4dos to boot it. However the cursor would freeze even in the live cd.

Did those answers help?

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

I manually extracted the lupu525.sfs into a folder on my hard drive and used grub4dos to boot it. However the cursor would freeze even in the live cd.
This is not the best way to do an install of Puppy. Could be causing problems.
Here is info how to install:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302

The specs for your computer say it comes with 256MB of ram with 64MB being used by the on board video adapter.
That is at the minimum required for Lupu 525. If you are doing very much, at one time, this could cause your mouse problems. Puppy running out of ram to use.
A linux swap partition on the hard drive would help a lot.
The link I posted will point out guides to doing this.

If you are trying to keep windows on this computer, I would use the frugal method to install Puppy.
You need to understand what you are doing messing with changing partitions on the hard drive.

There is always that chance you have a component going bad.
Mouse
motherboard
memory
video adapter

OFC Dark Puppy

#7 Post by OFC Dark Puppy »

bibpup wrote:The specs for your computer say it comes with 256MB of ram with 64MB being used by the on board video adapter.
That is at the minimum required for Lupu 525. If you are doing very much, at one time, this could cause your mouse problems. Puppy running out of ram to use.
A linux swap partition on the hard drive would help a lot.
The link I posted will point out guides to doing this.
Well no not at all. Though the intel is rather bad, the mouse problem only happens in my ATI. I bought it, it is old and it causes my cursor to freeze.

I am trying to make sure that it is not a hardware issue, perhaps a problem or glitch related to ATI's problems with linux.

But every pup I have tried, even ones on live cd have had that cursor freeze inside of ATI which has forced me to use Intel instead.
bigpup wrote:If you are trying to keep windows on this computer, I would use the frugal method to install Puppy.
You need to understand what you are doing messing with changing partitions on the hard drive.

There is always that chance you have a component going bad.
Mouse
motherboard
memory
video adapter
I don't want to think that my system is dying because It's all I have.
However my computer is full of linux. I use Linux Mint natively and all my puppies are frugally saved on top of it.