Samsung Printer not working - ML120 in 5.11

Booting, installing, newbie
pixelblip

Samsung Printer not working - ML120 in 5.11

#1 Post by pixelblip »

Hi there.
I'm trying to get a printer going for my dad before he leaves for France next Monday.
I'm using puppy 5.11 and we have a Samsung ML 1210 laser printer.

I've tried adding a new printer in Cups and it detects the samsung ML1210 (connected via USB) but when I try to print the data light comes on and nothing comes out.

There is no specific driver for this printer in the cups menu so I don't really know if it will work.......I tried a number of other drivers but had no luck. I did think of trying a parallel port lead but I can't see it's the lead........

Please can anyone suggest a solution? It's an old printer but it works for what he wants and I don't really want to throw it away.........I could always use it with Ubuntu but I am determined to try and crack this!

Thanks.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Install this PET, then reinstall your printer. There should now be an entry for your ML-1210. I did a simulated test and it looks OK.
Attachments
Samsung_ML_1210-1.0.pet
(6.08 KiB) Downloaded 691 times

pixelblip

#3 Post by pixelblip »

Thank you so much!

pixelblip

#4 Post by pixelblip »

Just to let you know that .pet worked fine.
It's nice to see perfectly good pcs that are a few years old get some use - and I am sure that printer will go on for ever.........

Thanks again for your quick response - my dad was so pleased. :D

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help.

If you look inside the PET, you will see that it only contains a PPD file. There are a few legacy printers that can be installed using the built-in drivers that are part of Ghostscript. So they only need a PPD file, which you can get from openprinting.org. The PPD file is stored in the folder /usr/share/cups/model.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 06 Apr 2011, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

pixelblip

#6 Post by pixelblip »

Ok understood. Thanks for explaining that - it will help others down the line who have same problems ( ppd files and where to find them for odd printers)

I was hunting around for a ppd file and came across that website but thought it was one of those dodgy driver websites that promise a driver then charge you! I shall know next time.

I got his pc booting into puppy off a cd now ( no hard drive at all) which is great - with his apps - and now his Samsung printer working ok. Thankyou.

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

Samsung makes a tricky CD, I'm referring to the setup CD included when
you buy the printer.

In Windows you can only see the Windows files.

In Linux you can only see the Linux files.

In Mac? I don't know. Maybe it tells Steve Jobs all the information about
where you bought the printer.

~

steevieb

#8 Post by steevieb »

Sorry for dragging up an old (over 6 years!) thread, but have just saved an ML-1210 printer from the dump using rcrsn51's .pet, on the latest Tahr puppy.