glibc upgrade

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
simargl

#46 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#47 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Slitaz can't be the lite Arch Linux, as Arch Linux is crap, unstable, bloated, and uses systemd (which is bloatware itself).

Slitaz, at least doesn't require your system to break when a major upgrade is done (but Arch does).

simargl

#48 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#49 Post by bark_bark_bark »

@simargl

Maybe rather than being a troll here and f***ing up the forum saying how puppy linux is shit and attacking those who say they have problems with your alphaOS, maybe you can be constructive. This is why forums are set up.

Now don't get me wrong alphaOS is okay, but you you don't take kindly to suggestions. A common request that is made is support for broadcom BCM4313 and you completely ignore them. A good developer would take into consideration of those with very good suggestions.

PS: For those with broadcom, the only to get it to work in alphaOS is to switch the alphaOS kernel with one from Precise/Slacko, which does take some work.

PS 2: I sense that another user "rivalry" is coming. There is already one with gcmartin vs. Q5sys. I don't want one to start but sadly trolls are a cancer that infect every community and they have to deal with that from time to time.

Dewbie

#50 Post by Dewbie »

Back to glibc upgrade discussion...(I hope)...:|

bark_bark_bark

#51 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I believe a glibc upgrade can provide benefits.

Dewbie

#52 Post by Dewbie »

The fixes posted on page 3 will only work with 4-series.
They will not work with Wary.
Edit: see below
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 03 Aug 2013, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#53 Post by watchdog »

Dewbie wrote:The fixes posted on page 3 will only work with 4-series.
In my wary 5.5 install pmount is not broken after glibc upgrade and all seems to work. Glibc upgrade breaks only locale in wary and the fix is to put in /etc/profile:

Code: Select all

export LC_ALL=C

Dewbie

#54 Post by Dewbie »

watchdog wrote:
the fix is to put in /etc/profile:

export LC_ALL=C
Thanks...which line does it go in?

watchdog

#55 Post by watchdog »

Dewbie wrote:watchdog wrote:
the fix is to put in /etc/profile:

export LC_ALL=C
Thanks...which line does it go in?
I have put the line at the end before the end of the file. I have to say that in my install I upgraded jwm by compiling the 688 snapshot. There are more recent upgrades at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 31&t=83949

EDIT: I confirm. I did some trials with a fresh install. Installing:

1)libc6_2.11.3-4_i386.deb
2)dbus (PPM)
3)dbus-glib (PPM)
4)service-pack_5.5TO5.5.1_wary5.pet
5)jwm upgrade at snapshot 688

and putting "export LC_ALL=C" in /etc/profile as described and rebooting, pmount works ootb.

Dewbie

#56 Post by Dewbie »

OK, thanks...followed your directions, but no luck.
I tested with the Warys that I have (5.1.1 / 5.1.4.1 / 5.2.2), assuming that it applied to all of them.
Would've helped if I was more specific. :roll:

I edited the SFSes, stripped out all 2-series SeaMonkeys and replaced them with BK's SeaMonkey 1.1.18 from 5.1.4.1.
So no need for the dbus stuff.

And obviously the service pack wouldn't apply either.
Plus, yours might have newer libs.

watchdog

#57 Post by watchdog »

I have resurrected my wary 5.3 install with glibc upgrade and I got pmount working after installing jwm2-755-w5c.pet from the link above, correcting locale by "export LC_ALL=C" in /etc/profile and rebooting. I have not earlier versions of wary.

KentC

#58 Post by KentC »

thank you guys, tested in 4.31 with the vi edit recommended, and this works in terminal as a nice tool. I will go ahead and add this to puppylinux431.com :)

Appreciate the efforts to make the good stuff better.

Kent C.

Dewbie

#59 Post by Dewbie »

Uh-oh, just uncovered a strange bug :shock: :

I converted libc6_2.11.3-4_i386.deb to a .pet using dejan555's deb2pet.

This caused /lib/libc.so.6 to link to /lib/libc-2.10.1.so.
(instead of /lib/libc-2.11.3.so, as it did in the original .deb)

Consequently, Pmount worked.
(The upgrade usually breaks it--hoses the locale.)
But SlimBoat didn't.

On the other hand, this is not a problem with the older libc6_2.11.2-10_i386.deb.
(/lib/libc.so.6 links to /lib/libc-2.11.2.so, whether .deb or .pet.)

So if you're upgrading these libs in pre-4.3 Puppies (which won't install Debian packages natively), then convert the older .deb to a .pet and use that one instead.

sindi

Where to find patched glibc 2.11?

#60 Post by sindi »

In Feb 2016 a serious bug was found affecting glibc 2.9 to 2.22. There is a patch. Where can we find a patched 2.11?

watchdog

#61 Post by watchdog »

When the bug was found lucid ubuntu 10.04, which originally came with glibc 2.11, was out of support so I think there is not a patched glibc 2.11. I don't care very much about glibc vulnerabilities because I use puppy as client and many vulnerabilities are effective only as server side.

sindi

Patched glibc 2.11 in Dec 28 2016 Lucid 5.2.8.7

#62 Post by sindi »

Rerwin (in Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7) just updated glibc 2.11 to a patched version in the latest Lucid Puppy 2016 (which may become 2017 if there are still bugs).

Updates since Dec 16:

glibc 2.11 updated (0ubuntu7.21) with all its Lucid security fixes including for GHOST. (prompted by sindi's question about it)
- asound_include - support coexistent sound applications (result of keniv's interest in puppybt)
- getflash with updated URL to restore the function
- Extract-pet avoids leaving behind the (tar.gz, tar.xz) tarball used for extraction
- PPM help page link fixed (reported by Snail)
Download directory: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dh45w4 ... 16_Release

I was looking for a patched 2.11 because someone at Pale Moon did not want to compile for an insecure glibc and the glibc 2.17 he compiled for instead won't work with Lucid Puppy. It sounds like Pale Moon is willing to compile special versions to work with Puppy Linux. They were planning to compile in future with CentOS7 and the result won't even work with Tahr (libstdc++ can't find what it wants).
The complete change list: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 697#932697

I hope this is the last update for a while, although I expect to address issues if they arise.
Richard

watchdog

#63 Post by watchdog »

There is the so-called "ghost" vulnerability and another vulnerability discovered on February 2016:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=105429

glibc 2.11 updated (0ubuntu7.21) was built in 2015:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-security/ ... ld/7011724

Is it really patched for the last vulnerability? I don't worry about this but I hope someone can answer my question.