Moving/resizing too-tall windows (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
n0ukf

Moving/resizing too-tall windows (Solved)

#1 Post by n0ukf »

On my Asus Eee 900 the screen resolution is only 600 pixels tall. I have seen some app windows that are taller than that, preventing me from accessing the buttons at the bottom (Help, Cancel, Apply, OK, etc). Some of these WILL NOT resize small enough to see the whole (scrollable if necessary) window contents.

I can't drag the title bar beyond the top of the screen and I can't move the window by grabbing it anywhere else. How can I see and access the whole window?

Lucid 528
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

Henry

#2 Post by Henry »

I get this when checking for dependencies if their are more dependencies than fit vertically on the screen in Quirky-120 (and probably other puppies - if I used others.)

In this case I press alt and drag the window upward with the mouse.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Henry wrote:...I press alt and drag the window upward with the mouse.
That's good. Also you can right-click in the title bar (either at the top of the window or in the system tray at the bottom of the screen) and choose Move from the menu that pops up. Then you can grab the window anywhere and drag it.

`f00

#4 Post by `f00 »

Some pagers also - jwm's pager allows a rightclickdrag to move windows about in the pager area (this option is much easier with an oversized pager in its own 'autohide' tray).

If the Alt+leftclickdrag doesn't work, try Ctrl+leftclickdrag on the window (it varies depending on the wm bindings sometimes)

If you rely on kybd-only, use the dirkeys to move the window after the 'move' context-menu cmd changes the pointer to the 4-way arrow

You may find jwm preferable to openbox+pfbpanel or vice-versa on your eee.. other wms like flwm or mcwm might also appeal for small-ish displays

hth

n0ukf

#5 Post by n0ukf »

Is there a reason the windows can't be resized down to the available screen dimensions and use a scrollbar to access the excess?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

#6 Post by 106498 »

Often they are just not coded to support this. Alt + mousedrag is usually the easiest way.

I use icewm, it's configured so that maximizing a window hides the title bar. And the task bar can be hidden by clicking on an arrow. This gives maximum space available on the screen. Also Alt+F11 maximizes any application (even ones that don't support it).

-Thomas
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

I think you can gain some control by experimenting with your rc.xml. Since some belong to Gtkdialog, this post may help..

n0ukf

#8 Post by n0ukf »

106498 wrote:Alt + mousedrag is usually the easiest way.
This works for me, thanks.