Icons all question marks in a triangle [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
mickee
Location: Saskatoon SK Canada, Gateway 5300 Laptop, 600MHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, lucid puppy 5.2 (Full Install)

Icons all question marks in a triangle [SOLVED]

#1 Post by mickee »

Hey all,

Was monkeying with themes etc, and when I looked later, most of the icons are replaced with the question mark ones. Can this be fixed easily? I searched, but found no answers, so I am creating a new topic. Note that the folder icons and desktop icons are fine. Its the individual icons that are messed up. Is this somewhere to do with mime types? Don't think so as the icons are still associated with the programs. I think this may have happened when I was in ROX and set to show thumbnails? Anywho, hoping someone can help!

Last edited by mickee on Wed 30 Mar 2011, 02:52, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/The_Wizard_of_OZ/Lindows-NOT-1.jpg[/img]
Linux is [i][b]NOT[/b][/i] Windows. Doesn't [i][b]PRETEND[/b][/i] to be, Doesn't [i][b]WANT [/b][/i]to be; Don't try to [i][b]MAKE[/b][/i] it be.

WhoDo

Re: Icons all question marks in a triangle

#2 Post by WhoDo »

mickee wrote:Was monkeying with themes etc, and when I looked later, most of the icons are replaced with the question mark ones. Can this be fixed easily?
Right click inside any window and choose Options>Types to set your mime theme back to Rox Filer default.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

Warren always has good advice.

A bit simpler to remember the next time a mess may happen (if your install method supports .. livecd multi has it as default and most frugals can emulate) is to reboot and not save session). That can be an easy way to get out of most messes if the periodic save is set to "0" as well. Hopefully there's not a lot of other stuff that losing a session would hurt. For some people autosave is a good thing, but I'd much rather have the choice to not save (since odd stuff can and does happen in my particular environment from time to time).

Funny, I actually did the yellow-triangle (and other stuff) intentionally one time on an initial run .. just to see what it would take to bung things up in a demented reverse-'engineer'ing manner - it was fun :D

mickee
Location: Saskatoon SK Canada, Gateway 5300 Laptop, 600MHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, lucid puppy 5.2 (Full Install)

Re: Icons all question marks in a triangle

#4 Post by mickee »

WhoDo wrote:
mickee wrote:Was monkeying with themes etc, and when I looked later, most of the icons are replaced with the question mark ones. Can this be fixed easily?
Right click inside any window and choose Options>Types to set your mime theme back to Rox Filer default.
Unfortunately this didn't work. And I can't not save in the future as I have a full install and not a frugal.

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

Is it just the icons that are messed up? Do files open in the correct program when you click on them?

Presumably you tried changing the icon theme again?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mickee

#6 Post by mickee »

disciple wrote:Is it just the icons that are messed up? Do files open in the correct program when you click on them?

Presumably you tried changing the icon theme again?
yeah, just the icons. They do open the correct programs. I have tried changing the icon themes. No difference in the question mark ones. Only thing that I remember that may have done this is installed a theme called 'puppy-look' from a pet in the forums. It didn't work, or appear to do anything so I uninstalled it. This was after I tried to load it. Also I am using the Black Dog JWM theme. Do the themes include icons? Maybe the puppy-look theme was using Black Dog icons? Should I try and find either that theme again? Or the Black Dog one?, Maybe reinstall them both?

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

:)
This happens if you move /root somewhere else ,

like here for example into /ROOT

:D
Attachments
moved_root.png
(62.99 KiB) Downloaded 2221 times

mickee

#8 Post by mickee »

Karl Godt wrote::)
This happens if you move /root somewhere else ,

like here for example into /ROOT

:D
First I want to thank everyone who's helping this noob :D

Question, though... How would that have been accomplished? I don't remember moving /root.. what folder do you think I may have inadvertently moved?

EDIT: Actually, I was using Black Dog Icon theme. Weird thing, when I go into the icon switcher, I select new one, like the one in the above screen-shot, the desktop icons change, yet inside ROX, still shows the Black Dog icon set, (That is only the folders icons --- , ie not the ones on the pinboard -- they display the new icon theme chosen)

make any sense???

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

Also I am using the Black Dog JWM theme. Do the themes include icons?
JWM themes shouldn't have anything to do with icons.
EDIT: Actually, I was using Black Dog Icon theme. Weird thing, when I go into the icon switcher, I select new one, like the one in the above screen-shot, the desktop icons change, yet inside ROX, still shows the Black Dog icon set, (That is only the folders icons --- , ie not the ones on the pinboard -- they display the new icon theme chosen)
I thought the Pinboard and menu icons were changed separately from the mime-type icons, but I could be confused - I'm not in a recent Puppy at the moment.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

CatDude

#10 Post by CatDude »

Hello mickee
mickee wrote:...Only thing that I remember that may have done this is installed a theme called 'puppy-look' from a pet in the forums. It didn't work, or appear to do anything so I uninstalled it.
I believe that is more than just a theme.

Here is what it's creator stu90 has to say about it:
stu90 wrote:updated to v9.9

9 walpapers - 30+ GTK themes - 10+ JWM themes - 10 iconsets - 13 global themes

what it does:
adds extra wallpapers
adds extra icons
adds extra GTK themes
adds clearlooks and murrine GTK engine
adds extra JWM theme
adds freespace to JWM-tray
adds Trios desktop profile manager
adds new global themes
changes JWM-tray config/look
changes certain MIME icons
changes volume icon in JWM-tray
changes ROX-filer icons
Removes desktop icons (apart from file and drive icons)
So it is possible that when you uninstalled it,
it removed something it shouldn't have done.

Assuming that you have a Frugal install, open two ROX-Filer windows,
we will call them A + B:
  • A = /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME
    B = /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME

NOTE:
    In both of the paths above, you need to Right click on the ROX-Filer icon and select Look Inside
Now compare the contents of these two directories,
there may be some things missing in window B.

If that is the case, i would simply select all files in window B and delete them,
then i would select all files in window A, and Drag 'n' Drop them into window B and select Copy

Hopefully that will fix things.
CatDude

P.S
If you are running a Full install,
let me know and i will post an archive of the contents of: /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME from Lupu-520.
If that is the wrong puppy version then please say which one you are running.

EDIT:
A little birdy contacted me via PM and told me you have a Full install,
so i have attached the archive below.
Attachments
rox-mime-files.tar.gz
Contains the files from: /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME
Taken from Lupu-520
(78.86 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

mickee

#11 Post by mickee »

CatDude wrote:
P.S
If you are running a Full install,
let me know and i will post an archive of the contents of: /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME from Lupu-520.
If that is the wrong puppy version then please say which one you are running.

EDIT:
A little birdy contacted me via PM and told me you have a Full install,
so i have attached the archive below.
I unzipped the MIME into the /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME directory. Then restarted X. Issue still there. Rebooted, issue still there. Hmmmm. Do I have to delete the files in MIME and then unzip? Should I boot with puppy pfix=ram and then replace? I don't believe sda1 was mounted, so....

Please excuse my ignorance. :roll:

CatDude

#12 Post by CatDude »

Hello mickee

In the archive i posted, i created the complete file structure.

So after unpacking the archive,
go into it until you see all of the files (119 of them)
/rox-mime-files/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME

In another ROX-Filer window, go to: /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME
then select all of the files in there and delete them.

Now copy all of the files from: /rox-mime-files/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME
into: /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME

Sorry for any confusion
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

mickee

#13 Post by mickee »

CatDude wrote:Hello mickee

In the archive i posted, i created the complete file structure.

So after unpacking the archive,
go into it until you see all of the files (119 of them)
/rox-mime-files/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME

In another ROX-Filer window, go to: /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME
then select all of the files in there and delete them.

Now copy all of the files from: /rox-mime-files/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME
into: /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME

Sorry for any confusion
CatDude

EDIT: By the way, I think this was what I downloaded and installed (It's the one I removed as well... )
http://puppy.b0x.me/software/packages/t ... y.look.pet

And thanks, CatDude. I will try that when I get home.

mickee

#14 Post by mickee »

CatDude

EDIT: By the way, I think this was what I downloaded and installed (It's the one I removed as well... )
http://puppy.b0x.me/software/packages/t ... y.look.pet

And thanks, CatDude. I will try that when I get home.
CatDude! You are amazing!!!! Worked exactly as you suggested! MUCHOS GRATIAS!! Also thanks very much for everyone's input on this issue.
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/The_Wizard_of_OZ/Lindows-NOT-1.jpg[/img]
Linux is [i][b]NOT[/b][/i] Windows. Doesn't [i][b]PRETEND[/b][/i] to be, Doesn't [i][b]WANT [/b][/i]to be; Don't try to [i][b]MAKE[/b][/i] it be.