How to make symlink to "/" and use Iomega Zip Driv

Using applications, configuring, problems
ChazZTheSpazZ

How to make symlink to "/" and use Iomega Zip Driv

#1 Post by ChazZTheSpazZ »

I made an icon on the desktop to link to "/mnt" in rox so that I can have easy access to my CD-ROM, windows xp hd, and pupxxx file (home) but there's one link i'm missing to make it complete, a symlink to "/". How can this be accomplished? I am still figuring out exactly how Linux works and don't know stuff like this, so please help me.

Also, for some reason (i dunno why) Puppy won't recognize my Iomega Zip 100 (parallel) zip drive. It works just fine in windows but not in puppy. Is there a driver I need?
I agree with Glenn Beck. Elmo is definately the antichrist.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

you can drag a folder, any folder, to the desktop, then right click it to Edit Item, then edit the link so that it points to / instead of, for example, /tmp ... and you can edit what text will be displayed under the icon

by the way, you can setup Groups ... for example, display / in a Rox window, and press ctrl+1 ... now when you press the 1 key, Rox will show you / ... similarly, you can set 4 to my-documents, 5 to my-applications, and so on ... you can setup 10 of these group shortcut keys ... if you do this, you probably don't need the extra desktop shortcuts

ChazZTheSpazZ

#3 Post by ChazZTheSpazZ »

Well, the object is to make it look as similar to Windows XP as possible, my mom and sister will be using this computer too and I don't want them complaining to me that they don't know what to do. What I wanted to do is create a symlink in "/mnt" to "/". That way, i'll have a link to my zip drive, dvd-rom, cdrive, /, my second hd, and my pup001 all in one folder, just like Windows XP's 'My Computer'.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

you can type or paste something like this in a rxvt window:

ln -s / /mnt/file_system

this will put a symlink to / in /mnt, called file_system ... you can name the symlink anything you like, instead of file_system, except i don't think you can name it /

if you run Puppy from a live-cd or option 1 install, whatever you add to /mnt will disappear after a reboot ... i think it should be persistent if you have an option 2 install ... i don't know about Puppy 2

ChazZTheSpazZ

#5 Post by ChazZTheSpazZ »

Yes, I have noticed that all the other potential mount points that I delete reappear upon reboot, a minor inconvenience. A command was just what i was looking for, though.

About my zip drive, i found the page on Iomega's web site about making it work but I haven't tried it yet. The link:
This URL is incredibly long, so here's the link.