How to print from network using USB print server?

Using applications, configuring, problems
donde

How to print from network using USB print server?

#1 Post by donde »

Puppy box connected to port on router which goes to DSL modem. All is well. Another port is connected to USB Print Server going to HP 832C, which works OK with other windoz machine on router. How do I get Puppy to print? Version is 1.0.7. And I've got Puppy OS on a 128 MB stick, but can boot from HD too. Kind of a newbie. Please help.

noip

#2 Post by noip »

donde,

Since no-one has answered yet ... there is a previous discussion on this on the board - I had a look for it but got lost and then life took over, but in it someone had success with the setup you were using and xpdq. I suspect success involves a correctly setup host file and, of course the correct syntax pointing to the printer. Sorry I can't be more enlightening than that .. perhaps googling on xpdq might help.

Rgds

GS

ftgs

donde

#3 Post by donde »

Thanks GS. One would think a direct answer would be forthcoming, for it seems like a common occurance having a print server for a previous Windows setup with a router. I'll take your suggetion and google. I did see a similiar question, but the answer sure seemed complicated!

Regards, Don

noip

#4 Post by noip »

Don,

It's not that people WON'T answer, it is just an area of Puppy that is, shall we say, underdeveloped. I got enthusiastic about trying to crack it a few months ago, but life got in the way and I haven't been back yet. The xpdf home page has somewhat cryptic documentation as well.

When you have success, be sure to get back - I for one would be interested.

Rgds

GS

ftgs

shankargopal

#5 Post by shankargopal »

This might help. It worked for me, but not on quite the same setup as you're mentioning.

donde

#6 Post by donde »

shankargopal

Thanks for ideas. The print server address is 192.168.0.254. I thought I could choose tcp-port on xpdq, which I did. But have no idea if port 9100 is right. I
have 4 port router connected to 1 port print server. Anyway, it didn't work. Not sure if samba would work and didn't try it yet.

donde